It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Antarctica: breakthrough imminent.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
You all do know if they do break thourgh in time before the end of the artic summer, they will not have any data as of yet. assuming they do break thourgh it will still be another year before they return to collect the data then they have to send it off see if they found anything and study it. It will still be quite a while before they tell us what was found in the water. They bulit a speacil robot to look in the waters and as it drilled in the water it melted the ice and pushed water out the top to refrezze above it's self as it drills, then when it is about to breach the water it will sanitize itself and drop into the lake to study it for a year! I saw this in the doucumentry video I wacthed.

To make sure the water stays completely pure, the machinery will not even touch the lake.Instead suction will be used to suck samples of the unique water into the borehole, where it will freeze before being raised to the surface for analysis

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... u

edit on 4-2-2012 by TropicKandie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What about the 'rumor' that they vanished?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

The team of Russian scientists trying to uncover the prehistoric Lake Vostok miles beneath a surface of Antarctic ice are not lost, according to American Antarctic explorer John Priscu.

"I can assure you that they are not lost or out of contact," he wrote in an email. "I never said the Russians were lost."

www.usnews.com...

I know it's been posted a couple of times

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

According to lot on this site the release of Methane on Mars convinces them of life there. I'm just trying to separate the apples and oranges when people go off on tangents, and let them make clear consistent arguments without contradicting themselves.

I however don't have those issues, because I may underrating geology more than most.

It seems the most topical based replies get the most flack here, and others can just sound off on omnipresence lucid bio-genome-antimatter flux field vortex beings without being called out on the fantasies.

I'm just making it real.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

In mother Russia, lake drills you....

2nd

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Ahhh never mind, I just read the above post that said the Scientists were "not lost or out of contact"... Got to love Internets rumor mills....
edit on 4-2-2012 by Dmonix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by smugmushroom

Never get tired of those "mother Russia" jokes.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

It doesn't actually say if they've been "found" or not in the first place, just that they've kept silent throughout the past few days. When they actually are found (or rather make contact again), we should come across more info than just a small article such as this to provide evidence that everything went as it should. That's if they're even found in the first place...

On a more positive side, I'm hoping they do report back soon. I'm rather excited to see what they find!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
reply to post by Hellas

The team of Russian scientists trying to uncover the prehistoric Lake Vostok miles beneath a surface of Antarctic ice are not lost, according to American Antarctic explorer John Priscu.

"I can assure you that they are not lost or out of contact," he wrote in an email. "I never said the Russians were lost."

www.usnews.com...

I know it's been posted a couple of times

PMG for Petes sake..

They're Russians..!!!

If they were out of contact, it's most likely because they're Drunk...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The scientists are NOT out of contact currently.
They were out of contact during the time when they were taken over by alien doppelgangers that were unleashed from the depths of the ancient ice and now everything simply seems normal again to those in contact with the doppelgangers.

I say we napalm the entire site. Everything dies. Even that dog that tries to run off.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Hard to believe that Fox News runs a story that someone claims is false and yet no one seems to be reporting on whether the scientists have made contact with anyone during the past week. If they are not lost or out of contact then why is the media not confirming whether this is true or not?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhantomLimb
Hard to believe that Fox News runs a story that someone claims is false and yet no one seems to be reporting on whether the scientists have made contact with anyone during the past week. If they are not lost or out of contact then why is the media not confirming whether this is true or not?

probably a news outlet jumping the gun again, releasing the info that they are 'lost' .... there's something in that lake that has people very interested and I don't think it's purely about marine biology.

the SOAR (Support Office for Aero-physical Research), aimed at conducting magnetic resonance imaging over the area, the magnetometer recorded an increase of 1,000 nanoteslas beyond the 60,000 nanoteslas which characterized the Vostok Station. Scientists had expected to find magnetic anomalies in the range of 500 to 600 nanoteslas in areas where volcanic material could be located, but the ranges encountered were simply startling. “This anomaly is so large that it cannot be the product of a daily change in the magnetic field,” stated Michael Studinger, one of the researchers involved in the mapping endeavor.

Also significant was the sheer size of the anomaly: 65 by 46 square miles. According to the mission’s geological team, the anomaly’s size and severity pointed to the fact that geological changes had taken place under the lake, suggesting the possibility that it was a place where “the earth’s crust was thinner.”

The Russians weren't the only ones interested in drilling, JPL received Nasa grants also (source : www.nsf.gov... ) although officially withdrew citing "concern over environmental contamination"

Here's some official facts about the station - www.aari.nw.ru...
edit on 5-2-2012 by digitalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I know that the Russian/US scientists are desperate to complete this part before the weather changes/temps drop, which is imminent. If temps can go as low as -70 degrees C., it's not hard to believe that a temp drop could have been sufficient to compromise the russian teams' survival, and make rescue extremely difficult.

I asked this before but no'one picked up on it - why were there no US scientists amongst the Russian team?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The latest news I can find comes from the UK's Daily Mail. The article has mostly the same story but does have some interesting pictures.

I also found this part interesting:

Former Vice President Al Gore is currently on an unrelated expedition near the Weddell Sea with Virgin magnate Richard Branson, filmmaker James Cameron and dozens of others.

Coincidence?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Interesting pictures like this one?

The flags i mean? That is the French flag isnt it on the left?
edit on 5-2-2012 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

Yeah, that's the French and US flag. The Russian flag is also visible in some pictures of Vostok. Apparently, US and French polar teams have also worked there:

Although this is a Russian research station, scientists from all over the world conduct research here. One of the primary projects at this site, a coordinated Russian, French and American effort, is drilling an ice core through the 3,700 m thick ice sheet. This ice core contains climate records for almost half a million years before present.

www.antarcticconnection.com...

edit on 5-2-2012 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

and that makes it all the more intriguing dont you think?
2nd

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
*Removed post as already answered*
edit on 5-2-2012 by zigguratvertigo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

I'm surprised by how their building is misfit for extreme cold... 90 degree vertical walls with seams? What are they NOT thinking....

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This will be great for debunking, or proving many of the theories that are out there.

Does anyone have a map that shows how the Earth looked 20 million years ago? Based on that we could determine what type of life that should be down there. From what I understand it's pretty warm down there. Very well could have a whole ecosystem, albeit maybe small, that has lived down there for 20 million years.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join