It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook surrenders its privacy in IPO documents

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Facebook surrenders its privacy in IPO documents

m.ctv.ca

SAN FRANCISCO — Facebook is baring its business soul.

The unveiling came late Wednesday when the company that depends on people to share their lives online filed its plans to raise US$5 billion in an initial public offering of stock. It's a revelatory moment that prospective investors, curious competitors and nosy reporters have been awaiting for two years. During that time, Facebook established itself as a communications hub and emerged as a threat to the Internet's most powerful company, Google Inc.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
arstechnica.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Facebook's Investors Poised For Record Jackpot

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
All the private details about the inner workings of FaceBook will no longer be a secret now that they have gone public. Even though they have gone public, I'm confident that the board of directors will remain among the corporate elite. Perhaps us little people can get in on the action.

Now that their business is under public scrutiny, who knows what will be uncovered. They certainly will need to be investigated now that they're public, including their privacy practices.

m.ctv.ca

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I just made my own sandwich. I was somehow forced to eat the whole lot!!

Man how can I complain to??

Is the a sandwich autoratahh??

Or..

I choose to walk on puddles. when will the government give me waterproof shoes?

I despair at what we're forced to endure... I really do...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The beginning of the end! The bosses will cash in and walk away with billions then facebook will fade into insignificance within 3 years just like myspace et all. Some scandals would certainly speed that up. The whole business model is based on deception and social engineering and as people become more aware of what is really happening facebook will lose subscribers in droves. I really feel this is their last chance to cash in before it starts to deteriorate in value. Add internet restrictions and the fall may be faster still. How long before your opinion gets censored by facebook? Even facebook is not what is used to be to most people, its fast losing its appeal to the masses. 800 million subscribers, yeah ive got something like 7 fake ones i think! Facebook is certainly over valued. This is an investment I would certainly avoid medium to long term.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I'm so happy I got rid of my fb, the feds can easily track down people on that.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Facebook won with it's simplicity.. it maintains because it was addictive and everyone is part of it .. so if you want to keep up with friends and family you pretty much HAVE to use it ..however, it will fail because they don't give a damn about their users .. people are up in arms about timeline just as a simple, single example.. the constant change in privacy settings is another.. Myspace lost for many of the same reasons.. a lack of privacy control ( it came, but far too late ) and a lack of caring what the users wanted..

And now that they are going public, they will have to succumb to greedy investor demands, which will no doubt only hurt us more...

All that needs to happen is a better option to appear and catch on .. I'm not sure Google+ is a better option.. there's nothing there that draws me away..

edit on 2/2/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

No it won because it was backed by the CIA via funding from InQTel, this is accepted as fact

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by trustnothing

Show me proof. That's what I say.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Can you provide sources for this allegations?

I'd love to read any documentation that proves this as being fact.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Come on folks. The reality is Facebook needs to find more ways to get revenue from their users. Once FB goes public, Profit will be the driving force. Apps and advertisment will dominate your ability to navigate this site in the future.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Dot Com Bubble Ver 2.0 in the works?

No clue, not on FB, it's pure speculation on my part

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by trustnothing

No it won because it was backed by the CIA via funding from InQTel, this is accepted as fact

I don't accept that as fact. I think it's highly speculative and slightly absurd.

It seems to me like Facebook started off as a site run by someone who wanted to make money and he did. Then, his creation went to the extreme and began to demolish privacy in exchange for profits. That's all.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by stringman

Bang on the money!

Like whats happend to ygou tube, is slowly happening to google.....

future facebook:
"click to view this users profile" ... *click*
"before your requested facebook page is prepared please wtach this 30 second advertisment that we know you will like before we know everything you do" *sigh*

Looks like i might need to fully delete my FB page, ive turned everything off notification wise and only login to say happy birthday to people, but i think thats not enough now

Its gunna have to go!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by trustnothing

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Nothing would make me happier than to have one of the ATS Whiz Kids create an entirely new
social networking platform. One that is built upon the solid foundation of Every member owning
everything they type,say,and upload. All intellectual property rights of every original photo, original music,
and personal information would be exclusively owned and managed by each participant. The contributing
member would be notified (or be able to easily access data), concerning every instance of copy requests.
Each participant would have an iron clad account that respects the rights of privacy, anti-piracy, and the
laws of Human Rights.

Simply, a Social Network built upon such high standards would develope so much clout
that it would blow Facebook out of the water.

For being a member of Facebook is to give away anything that makes you "You" for others to
capitalize on and pilfer as they see fit. Of course sharing information is what Social Networking is
about, but Facebook is about owning and data mining everything you share Forever.

Now that Facebook will have to pay tribute to "investors", you can be assured that some
changes will be made. You should take comfort in the fact that these changes will not be in the
best interest of the individual accounts/members.That is if you are a major shareholder of course.

Just imagine how valuable all that information is.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Ah yes, the Arab Spring and Occupy Movements are of great interest. Much of the planning for these
(and other) events does occur on Facebook. I believe Intelligence Agencies worldwide have a vested
interest in the data available as open source intel. Wouldn't you agree?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
There are going to be thousands of new millionaires because of their private investments in Facebook, what pisses me off is why none of us regular folk could get in on this, it seems almost exclusive, maybe not because there were initial investors who are now going to bank.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

I absolutely agree,

To the posters above, I am at work right now so I cant access the links on my home pc but here is few old articles I found in a quick search.
www.nzherald.co.nz...
www.guardian.co.uk...

the video posted above by another user explains some of the financial connections between facebooks initial funders and CIA projects such as InQTel There are also links to Palantir.....

EDIT one of the keys here is Peter Theil (original investor) who is also part of the Bilderberg steering committee
en.wikipedia.org...

"In late 2004, Thiel made a $500,000 angel investment in Facebook for 10.2% of the company.[12][3] In addition to Facebook, Thiel has made early-stage investments in numerous startups (personally or through his venture capital fund), including Booktrack, Slide, LinkedIn, Friendster, Rapleaf, Geni.com, Yammer, Yelp, Inc., Powerset, Practice Fusion, Vator, Palantir Technologies, IronPort, and Votizen.

Also key is James Breyer CEO of ACCEL which then leads us to Gilman Louie who has been awarded CIA honors in his time so id expect was a serving agent in some capacity at least.

"James Breyer is the CEO of ACCEL, a venture captialist company, who funded Facebook with 13 million dollars.

Taken from ACCEL's website:

"Mr. Breyer was so taken with Mr. Zuckerberg's company, thefacebook.com, which creates online interactive college-student networks, that his firm, Accel Partners, plans to announce a $13 million investment in the start-up today."

taken from the National Venture Capital Assoc website:"

New Board Directors Also Named During Association’s Annual Meeting
May 13, 2004 – San Francisco, CA – The National Venture Capital Association’s (NVCA) Board of Directors today unanimously elected James W. Breyer to serve as its Chairman for the coming year. The election took place at the Association’s 2004 Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The NVCA Board also announced eight new Directors who will each serve four year terms: Peter Barris, New Enterprise Associates; Michael Cronin, Weston Presidio; Joanna Rees Gallanter, Venture Strategy Partners; Robert Ketterson, Fidelity Ventures; Mark Klopp, Eastman Chemical; Gilman Louie, In-Q-Tel; Ted Schlein, Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers; and Chad Waite, OVP Venture Partners.

Notice the one name in there - Gilman Louie, In-Q-Tel Let's have a look at In-Q-Tel's website. Right in there header banner

Investing in Our Nation's Future - Our mission is to deliver leading-edge information technologies to the CIA and the Intelligence Community. We're a critical link between the Agency's IT users and the most promising technologies in the IT marketplace.

edit on 2-2-2012 by trustnothing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

All the private details about the inner workings of FaceBook will no longer be a secret now that they have gone public. Even though they have gone public, I'm confident that the board of directors will remain among the corporate elite. Perhaps us little people can get in on the action.

Now that their business is under public scrutiny, who knows what will be uncovered. They certainly will need to be investigated now that they're public, including their privacy practices.

m.ctv.ca

HAHAHAHAHA!! Yea right. FB is bigger than the federal reserve. Look how public they are.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Facebook is shark food now that it has gone public. With the dwindling popularity I would give it 2 years IF!

Now sometime in the very near future Facebook will be snatched up by some federal entity in disguise as a "legitimate company" and viola! instantly acquired 800 million+ (almost 1/7 of the world's population) specimen database with private information in all categories from your interests to your enemies and everything in between.

I saw F'book coming many moons ago along with the other complementary "social media sites" and I knew of their intentions. Just another company to trade on the public market with ONE HUGE EXCEPTION!

Facebook has mega information to chop, dice and sell one million and one ways to other retail companies. A mega leads database to make billions if not trillions more if the marketing targets are sited and mined correctly. I see FB as nothing more than a sucker trap that 800 million people fell into nothing more, nothing less.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join