It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin, Researchers Say

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
No... we don't need refined sugars.

Yes, refined sugars are evil.

But everyone still ignores the real reason behind the obesity epidemic> bisphenol A

One of the chemicals under scrutiny is Bisphenol A, or BPA, an ingredient in polycarbonate plastics. Past research has found evidence that it leaches from plastic food containers and bottles, from plastic wrap and from the resin that lines food cans. It has been found in a large percentage of people examined in developed countries. Besides urine and blood, it has been noted in amniotic fluid, placenta, umbilical cord blood and breast milk. Laboratory experiments have found that BPA can increase the production of fat cells.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Look around you and see how much plastic is within an arms reach, no matter where you sit in your houses, schools, libraries or places of work.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
No... we don't need refined sugars.

Yes, refined sugars are evil.

But everyone still ignores the real reason behind the obesity epidemic> bisphenol A

One of the chemicals under scrutiny is Bisphenol A, or BPA, an ingredient in polycarbonate plastics. Past research has found evidence that it leaches from plastic food containers and bottles, from plastic wrap and from the resin that lines food cans. It has been found in a large percentage of people examined in developed countries. Besides urine and blood, it has been noted in amniotic fluid, placenta, umbilical cord blood and breast milk. Laboratory experiments have found that BPA can increase the production of fat cells.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Look around you and see how much plastic is within an arms reach, no matter where you sit in your houses, schools, libraries or places of work.

bisphenol A is a VERY bad thing, but sugars in general are a bad thing.. not just refined.. our sugar intake OVERALL is extremely higher than it should be .. I just want to stress that... refined or not, a high sugar intake is a bad bad thing..

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I MISS SUGAR!!! I MISS BREAD and PASTA (which turn to sugar)!!

Two years ago I had to abruptly stop all sugar intake and stop with the pastas and breads and cereals. OMG .. I still miss it unbelievably! When I walk into a grocery store I can smell every bread and every different sugar that is wrapped up sitting for sale on the stands. I can smell EVERYTHING in the bakery section even if I'm on the other end of the store. I can smell that fake sugar on the raisin bread ... AND I WANT IT ... and I can smell the donuts behind the counter ... AND I WANT THEM .. and I can smell the birthday cakes and cookies sitting in their boxes waiting for pickup from customers ... AND I WANT THEM ... I can smell sugar across a parking lot ... AND I WANT IT. God I miss it .....

What I wouldn't give for a cup of coffee with french vanilla creme and sugar (and nutmeg)
and a bowl of great grains cereal.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
our sugar intake OVERALL is extremely higher than it should be .. I just want to stress that... refined or not, a high sugar intake is a bad bad thing..

Completely agree with you.

Today's sitting/prone lifestyle precludes any need for the excess of sugars which past generations may have required for their physical efforts. There is quite enough sugar in our vegetable portions (if we even eat them anymore). Nope, we seem to be quite content to overindulge in the use of sugars, even natural ones. Tell me who doesn't like honey or maple syrup and I'll show you someone who would be called a dietary freak by all and sundry.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You have my condolences. If I were in that situation I don't think I could cope with it quite as well as you seem to have. I require four foods in my life; coffee, sugar, chicken, cheese. If any of those four were taken from me permanently, I don't know what I would do. So I really do feel for you.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
If I were in that situation I don't think I could cope with it quite as well as you seem to have.

You give me more credit than you should. Read my RANT - I WANT - from a year and a half ago.
GOD I WANT SUGAR! That fake white sugar that is smeared on everything .... yumyumyum

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by miniatus
our sugar intake OVERALL is extremely higher than it should be .. I just want to stress that... refined or not, a high sugar intake is a bad bad thing..

Completely agree with you.

Today's sitting/prone lifestyle precludes any need for the excess of sugars which past generations may have required for their physical efforts. There is quite enough sugar in our vegetable portions (if we even eat them anymore). Nope, we seem to be quite content to overindulge in the use of sugars, even natural ones. Tell me who doesn't like honey or maple syrup and I'll show you someone who would be called a dietary freak by all and sundry.

And sugar is added to everything these days... hell, just look at hamburger buns! ... it's a fact that fiber has been removed and sugar has been added .. it's insane how much sugar we take in every day and not even realizing it .. It's no wonder heart disease and diabetes are so prevalent .. the video I posted earlier discusses how sugar causes heart disease, it also covers insulin resistance and all that.. it's a great video if you've not seen it.

By the by ... I used to be 300 lbs .. I've been proudly 175-185 since 2001 .. and I eat a lot of foods, but I limit my carb intake .. I am not pro adkins per-say.. I'm just pro carb control .. Carbs also change how you metabolize fats .. certain calories don't mix well with other calories..
edit on 2/2/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I would not put much stock into the government studies. As they have been shown time and time again that they do not follow where the facts lead to and tend to cherry pick what they want the public to see.
This is the same government that back in the 70's declared that Sugar causes cancer. But what they did not tell the public and got embarrased about is how they came to that conclusion. They were correct in the aspect that sugar can cause cancer, along with anything else if you eat 10 pounds or more a day, for years on end.

As one poster pointed out, this is causing the obesity problem, partially is correct and incorrect. The main reason, as some are pointing out is that the food we are consuming is insulin resistant, and ultimately it happens to be when you get sucrose and frutose in the same products that is causing this issue. Not just sugar alone. The federal government keeps trying to regulate what we put into our bodies, and yet fails every time.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

No, no... I still stick with my original statement. Even after reading that, I still think you're handling it better than I would. Honestly, I'd probably lose my mind, as in psychotic break.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

whole unrefined foods. that is the way to go.
government can suck it.
edit on 2-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Refined Sugar which is most of the stuff we eat(non organic) are very bad, most are in their complex forums, Dextrose, Sucrose... There are the other sugars like fruits, Fructose, Glucose, which metabolize faster and doesn't build up.

Humans were never meant to eat sugar like we eat today, everything has sugar.

Imagine yourself as caveman, how often would you eat sugar? like maybe once or twice from fruits?

Today, from breakfast to dinner, and the snacks between have loads of sugar and most of them are refined sugar.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs
reply to post by sdcigarpig

whole unrefined foods. that the was to go.
government can suck it.

Even with whole, unrefined foods you can have a bad diet.. I'm all for unrefined but it has to be tempered with some smarts about what you're eating... keep the carbs under control.. saturated fats at a minimum ..

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

of course.
each body needs a unique combination of fats, protein, and carbs.

we went along the wrong path, when we started to attach feelings to food.
rather we should have attached more feelings to the company of others.
food is bad company.
proccessed foods, are ven worse. they kill ya.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

of course.
each body needs a unique combination of fats, protein, and carbs.

we went along the wrong path, when we started to attach feelings to food.
rather we should have attached more feelings to the company of others.
food is bad company.
proccessed foods, are ven worse. they kill ya.

We also went with ease ... we removed fibers to increase shelf life and speed in cooking.. we replaced it with sugars which increase cravings .. fast food IS addictive because of the sugars and salts added .. and added in high amounts.. those foods are less filling and we want more of it .. it's a deadly cycle for sure! but it's economically good.. unhealthy foods are cheaper to eat than healthy foods.. healthy foods are easier! but they aren't nearly as addictive and are far more filling .. so they earn less money for businesses

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

i would argue as many have, but this is more of a personal comment.
whole foods are not really more expensive in the sense:
you it a whole lot less
you throw out WAY less
you appreciate your food way more
you are much more healthy energetic
these are hard to put a monetary value on, but they are important.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

FACT4: Sugary foods convert mostly to GLUCOSE, which causes an insulin spike which causes storage, and use of the faster metabolizing glucose first, and storage of all the other stuff. (proteins, and fats, which are slower, and take more energy to metabolize.)

That is not true. The confusion comes from the fact there are different kinds of sugars. Glucose is one kind of sugar, it metabolizes a specific way in the body. Fructose and Suracose are the other kinds of sugar. The metabolize differently than Glucose. Glucose never hits the liver, the other two do. I will let a doctor explain it to you.

So yes, certain kinds of sugar are toxic. They metabolize the same way as alcohol which everyone knows will kill you if you drink too much. Eating added sugars causes the same long term effects as long term alcohol exposure.

As for regulation-Stop corn subsides.

Sorry, i just noticed another member posted the same video. Sorrys for the double!
edit on 2-2-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Ha.. that's awesome... I'm glad I'm not the only one who's aware of this video.. I share it regularly with my friends.. I've lost 3 pals to diabetes that could have been prevented .. I do NOT believe for an instant that diabetes is a genetic problem, it is very much a diet problem.. being more likely to contract it, is most likely genetic.. but the disease itself is entirely preventable..

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

the fact remains, and this is a message to all: our bodies DO NOT NEED SUGAR or any other PROCESSED FOODS and added chemicals (aspartame included).
Get over it!
Or stay FAT AND SICK, but don't say I didn't WARN YOU.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
and when it blows in your face, or in 5o years this becomes common knowledge, tough titties if you towed the PARTY line.
Autoimmune disease, cancer and all the LOVE and such is just a few decade along the road my friends.
These ARE ALL SELF DEFENSE mechanisms of the body (read up on it)....So, you gotta ask who the hell is your body fighting? I wonder...

Angry much?

My post was to point out the complete hypocrisy of the folks who like to try and dictate what we ingest. Out of all the absolute crap that has been approved to put in our food, our water and our air, I'd say sugar is one of the lower on the list of worries we have. High fructose corn syrup, aspartame, saccharine--all extremely bad for you. White bread (even wheat breads) that are absolutely loaded with preservatives and next to zero nutritional value. Have you ever looked at the ingredients in ice cream or candy? It's not just sugar being the bad guy.

By the way, I use pure organic Stevia extract when I need a boost of sweet and that wonderful substance isn't even allowed by the FDA to be sold as anything but a "supplement." That's a conspiracy all by itself.

So should they ban sugar and label it a toxin? NO. Not unless they ban all the other poison they shove down our throats.

I am not "fat and sick." And there's certainly no need to "WARN" me in all capital letters. Next time you hit the reply button, take a few deep breaths and collect your thoughts.
edit on 2-2-2012 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I admit to being a bad sugar fiend in my lifetime. I've decided to try to lower my sugar intake in the last few weeks gradually but cutting out soda and only have dessert once a week. Mostly because I have a kid now and many members of my family have diabetes.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

I admit to being a bad sugar fiend in my lifetime. I've decided to try to lower my sugar intake in the last few weeks gradually but cutting out soda and only have dessert once a week. Mostly because I have a kid now and many members of my family have diabetes.

I was a big soda drinker back in my day .. I am an IT guy and mountain dew seems to be a requirement of long hours
I was drinking 5 or 6 cans a day .. if not more, easily .. I also craved breads, candy and anything starchy .. ALL equate to sugar in the blood stream once the body breaks it down.. Giving that up was hard to do, but once you get past a few weeks of it it becomes MUCH easier.. I haven't had a can of soda in a couple of years, I don't even think about it anymore.. I only eat whole grain breads and it's minimal .. I rarely eat pasta.. and when I have rice, it's also very small portions.. I find if I have too many carbs that my food cravings go up

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join