It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crab performs self amputation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I couldn't see this posted anywhere. I came across this on you tube and had to share it, even the simplest of animals can still think for themselves and survive in dire situations

basically the video is awesome, its about a crab that we learn its limbs regenerate and that they also struggle against attacks from boobies on a daily bases, what a life they have. Imagine how cool if not painful it will be if every time we broke an arm we rip it off and regenerate a new one.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Amazing video. Would be pretty neat if we could grow back our limbs too if they were ever cut off in an accident. Crabs are lucky they can regenerate but they are not lucky they taste so good.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by camouflaged
they also struggle against attacks from boobies on a daily bases

Terrible life.
Had to give up an appendage after doing some rough action against some boobies.

Although it's a survival thing, i wonder why they just go for the cut that quick lol.
Like oh noes i gots a boo boo.
*SLICE*
Onto the next one.

Wish it worked that way for us.
No moar scars!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I had no idea crabs raided birds nests.
Little buggers!

As for the amputation, it was a bit quick wasn't it? Wasn't even a proper tug. I think it might have been hanging by a thread. I expected some kind of operation, haha.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Oh god I wish I could amputate my anus... HEMORRHOIDS ARE KILLER.

Sorry for tmi..

but still, OH man.... I've rubbed the lotion on the skin, and yet I need the hose again

*weeps into an empty world of suffering from the butt*

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Oh god I wish I could amputate my anus... HEMORRHOIDS ARE KILLER.

Sorry for tmi..

but still, OH man.... I've rubbed the lotion on the skin, and yet I need the hose again

*weeps into an empty world of suffering from the butt*

LoL too bad you don't have crab's, they self amputate as you've seen, would be less painful from the sounds of it.
good luck with that, sitting down would be a pain

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
ouuuuuuuchhhh that looked horrible

*SLICE*

i wonder if the crabs ever do get successful?

do they ever manage to even reach the newly hatched bird?

and even if they do, the big mama boobie kicks their butts... so, why do they try?

haven't they got their butts kicked every time so badly that they give up?

maybe the fact the they try is because they have actually been successful before, but it doesn't seem as if they get lucky often....

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
God the world is such a brutal place

I have 2 hermit crabs, when they molt it is always creepy looking.

I wish humans would stop boiling them alive to eat them...what an awful death.

Crabs and lobsters are proven to feel pain.

Yes, researchers now say. Not only do crabs suffer pain, a new study found, but they retain a memory of it (assuming they aren't already dead on your dinner plate). The scientists say its time for new laws to consider the suffering of all crustaceans.

The study involved using wires to deliver shocks to the bellies of hermit crabs, which, being hermits, often take up residence in left-behind mollusc shells. The crabs that were shocked scampered out of their shells, "indicating that the experience is unpleasant for them," the scientists concluded; unshocked crabs stayed put.

Another test was run to see what would happen if a mild shock was delivered, one just below the threshold that would cause the crabs to leave home. These mildly shocked crabs, along with crabs that had not been shocked, were then offered a new home. The typical reaction: They'd go inspect the new shell. Significantly, those that had been shocked were more likely to pack up and move to the new residence compared to those that hadn't been shocked.

But a study by Elwood and colleagues in 2007 found prawns were irritated when their antennae were treated with acetic acid, and after a local anesthetic, they'd stop rubbing the antennae. He said this was evidence that they suffer pain, and that lobsters likely feel pain, too.

www.livescience.com...

edit on 2/2/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
127 Hours..... Meh!

IRM

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by camouflaged

This is simply incredible. I mean, who would name a species "booby."

Now, I'm no stranger to constant harassment from boobies, but I've yet to lose a limb.

If you haven't skipped to the next comment, thanks for taking my idiocy in stride..... lol

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Is it that surprising that crabs feel pain? I didn't realize people were under the impression they didn't. I can't believe anyone found a need to do a study on that, haha. If you know anything about cooking crustaceans (I'm from New Orleans, so I'm quite familiar with the process) you can't just throw them straight into a pot of boiling water. The shock from the pain will usually cause many of their limbs to just pop out. How horrid. Instead, you throw them in the fridge for a while. It knocks them unconscience pretty quickly. It's still sucks they have to eaten, but that's the way of things. Big animals eat little animals. Humans are bigger than crabs. An easy enough formula to follow.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
While awesome, it's hardly new... I've seen crabs pull their "arms" off in person.. there's even an animated gif floating around the last few years that features a crab yanking it's "arm" off for no apparent reason with the caption "I don't give a f*ck!"

Now, when humans get this ability it will be news.. when I can be at a party, get angry and yank my arm off to beat someone over the head knowing I'll have a new arm in a few weeks

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NylonAdmiral
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Is it that surprising that crabs feel pain? I didn't realize people were under the impression they didn't. I can't believe anyone found a need to do a study on that, haha. If you know anything about cooking crustaceans (I'm from New Orleans, so I'm quite familiar with the process) you can't just throw them straight into a pot of boiling water. The shock from the pain will usually cause many of their limbs to just pop out. How horrid. Instead, you throw them in the fridge for a while. It knocks them unconscience pretty quickly. It's still sucks they have to eaten, but that's the way of things. Big animals eat little animals. Humans are bigger than crabs. An easy enough formula to follow.

Humans eat anything... we don't care about size.. it can be a sardine or a cow .. as long as it's not a pet, we'll gnaw on it..and even then, it's iffy for some.. if T-Rex still existed I guarantee a rexbuger would be on the mcdonald's menu
edit on 2/2/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by camouflaged

Now thats pretty funny sorta cartoonish and,didn't look like it hurt a bit...Just flung it off.I've heard of some people haveing to resort to cutting off a limb to survive but thats in dire circumstances....Creatures are fascinating

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
That was brutal. I guess it's not safe to play with boobies.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Cool clip!

Reminds me of the two Australian crabs in "Finding Nemo"!

"Eh,eh" !

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This reminds me of an old joke, "wolf ugly" is when she's so ugly that when you wake up the next morning with her laying on your arm you'd rather chew your arm off than chance waking her up

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I don't get it...

Yeah they feel pain...

So does cows, pigs, ducks, chicken and practically anything you eat.

Hey, even some of the tree huggers are saying that plants feel pain...

So what, do we just stop consuming nutrients all together?

Better yet, the wild animals, plants and ocean life eat each other on a daily basis. But we call that nature. When humans eat the animals, we became murderers..

It's kind of an extremely funny logic to me, hence I never ever understood nor supported PETA...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You know they regenerate, right?
Lizards do it too. To distract predators (and kids) while they escape.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 2/2/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
You know they regenerate, right?
Lizards do it too. To distract predators (and kids) while they escape.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 2/2/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Haha I didn't know they could or even did that!

I had a lizard in my bathroom and tried to catch it to let it outside and I thought I cut its tail off. So it probably did that on purpose? Interesting lol. The tail did keep moving....sneaky little guy! I think it was in shock when I put it out in the grass lol
It probably thought the end was definitely near.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join