It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super massive bright star .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
just looked outside to the west at the end of twighlight , just before dark falls and there it is , sitting very low in the sky . A super big and super duper bright star .

It may as well be the the star of Bethlahem , its so big and bright .
Im on east coast Australia in Northern NSW .
Have any other people seen how big this star is . It dissappears quickly as it is travelling west with the sun .
Which reminds me off other people posts of a duel sun at dusk .

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
It's planet X

It's raining here. Can't see nothing.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I saw that last night (NZ) and it was super massive and bright. Checked on sky view iPhone App - it was Uranus and Venus right next to each other.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
I saw that last night (NZ) and it was super massive and bright. Checked on sky view iPhone App - it was Uranus and Venus right next to each other.

Correct.

You should be able to make out the moons of Uranus with a telescope too.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

It didn't look like two stars together , but it was sending out huge spikes . I wish I had some strong lenses to ssee what it actually was shaped like.

Its in the same position every night at dusk . I have never ever seen something so bright . But if two planets were aligned maybe it would be .
Did you check for westward as the sun sets ?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
It's Venus. Brightest thing in the sky after the sun and moon.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

Yea it is definitely what you are talking about, was a bit oval shaped and was not really glistening so I knew it would have been a couple of planets. I knew venus would have been one of them as i have noticed it lately in that part of the sky. But it was amazingly bright - never seen anything like it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

you say it was not glistenning , but this was super spiking like you draw a star . I wish I had the phone with google sky here so I could know for sure .

Is anybody in my postion that has noticed it at dusk .

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
VENUS

Please download STELLARIUM (clicky click to go to site)
This program lets you know what's in the sky, and where.

If you have a smart phone, there are also apps available that will let you point your phone at stars and planets, and the app will tell you what you are looking at.

Please also tell everyone else you know, so, if they join ATS, they'll be in the know ahead of time.

There's also a forum topic sticky posted by GREENEYEDLEO that has some informative links about satellites, stars, planets, etc., so that you'll be informed and not be as prone to making this mistake again: WHAT IS THAT LIGHT IN TEH SKY OMG!? (clicky click)!

edit on 2-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

It has massive spikes yes - but was not shimmering like stars do - it was solid light which meant it was a planet (well two) rather than a star.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I saw this too in NW England, was driving back from a friends and could hardly concentrate on driving for staring at it, it was so bright !

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I recently came upon a new app for my galaxy SII, that is much better than google sky. It's called space junk. It has satellite locations and names, along with stars and planets. I uninstalled google sky, as it didn't even have the sun in the correct spot while pointing the phone at it, or near it. Heck it shows the ISS too.

Very handy when it comes to things like in the op. I've used it for those times I wanted to know what I was looking at. Not sure if I'll have a chance to see what the op describes as I'm much further north than the op.
That, and it seems like it never clears up, here anymore.

Just a heads up if you want to know about good apps.

Mods, if posting phone types is against the rules, feel free to delete.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Should be Venus, I have been viewing it with my scope and to the left of it is Jupiter then left more is the moon.
It really is amazing how bright Venus can get.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

I've seen it and don't have a clue to what star or planet it is,if you find out let me know.I have too many trees surrounding my house and area to get a clear shot at the night sky.I need to plan a camping trip to the beach and take my telescope and camera out with me...just never enough time.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It's definitely Venus, but Uranus isn't RIGHT next to it, it's above left, but not close enough to look like one with Venus.

I think Venus, Jupiter and the Moon being so close in the night sky is a beautiful sight.

EDIT: Not sure if you ozzies will have the moon at the moment.
edit on 2/2/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Can't anyone take pics of it? I would love to see some!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Uranus isn't visible to the naked eye. But yes, the "star" referred to is Venus. Brightest object in the night sky atm apart from the Moon.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I saw it last night i thought it was probaly venus. it was big and bright looked so awsome. Last night it was so clear I could see tns of stars it was beatiful. I love looking at the sky at night and seeing all the pretty stars. and the planets as well. I wish I had a really good telescope to use that would be great!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anusuia
It may as well be the the star of Bethlahem , its so big and bright .

YES! It was the star of Bethlahem next to Uranus, Anusia. Lucky you!

edit on 5-2-2012 by SpaceGoatsFarts because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join