It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why smoke?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
It does. It also has an 'er, that's bloody obvious' detector. Does yours?

Again, you picked up on the number of purported deaths. Of all the nasty chemicals in either inhaled, exhaled or cigarette-produced smoke, you choose to pick up on a random number? What, do the chemicals not exist?

My point is: Why do people support the manufacture of unhealthy, expensive cigarettes to 'give you enjoyment', when there are so many more things to enjoy? Comparing TV purchases and wine is completely irrelevant. The boxes tell you don't buy them, but you do. Medical research says don't buy them, but you do. Society says, generally, don't buy them by casting you aside and putting 'no smoking' signs everywhere for the BENEFIT of those who DO NOT SMOKE because SMOKING is NOT a benefit. It may be in your head, but not in your body. I suggest a healthier, cheaper alternative.

I just don't get it.

That was the intention of my first post, for people to perhaps reconsider. I'm not all about confrontation and stupidity.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DB340

I guess this site isn't for open-minded people, despite what its purpose is. Perhaps my time here is done.

R U gonna take your toys and leave now

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Nope. Game on.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DB340

DB340

You directed us to a website. The second sentence in the article was a lie

Now explain exactly why I would take anything else being said seriously?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Because the list is available on every website to do with cigarettes.

What you're telling me, indirectly, is: smoking is a healthy life-style with no -ill-effects and you would suggest it to anybody.

Without the need for websites or statistics, that is a great shame to think.

Clearly nothing will change, so shall we call it a day until I come across a new thread inspiration in my daily life?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Best of luck to ya on the quitting!

I used the nicotine patch, and switched to smoking mini cigars. I still had the physical action of smoking, just with the cigars you do not inhale.

In time I weaned myself off of the cigars. Now I have not had a cigarette or cigar for nearly 1.5 years.

Another point you might find inspirational.......

My older brother, he is SO stubborn and bull headed......He quit for about 2 years, just because his wife told him one day that she didn't think he could quit.
He just dropped the smoking right then and there, his stubbornness was stronger than his urge to smoke.

Also I have to agree with you, OP really needs to grow up.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Shame you're all trying to quit.

It's actually, I am told, very enjoyable and helps you to relax and get into groups non-smokers cannot. There are no reasons to quit smoking.

What are you doing?????

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DB340

DB340

Living our lives as we please - which is our right as adult human beings - and making fun of people like you, who fall for every piece of propaganda that comes your way.

We can choose to smoker or not smoke as we please. We can choose to drink or not drink, as we please.

And we need NOT explain it to a person as ignorant of the facts are you appear to be.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
And we need NOT explain it to a person as ignorant of the facts are you appear to be.

The ignorance might not actually be OP's fault.
Looking at the posts
"I have good job, I fly, I translate....."

This large ego and narrow mind could be due to a rather sheltered upbringing.
Mommy and Daddy were always there, hand and foot.

Now he thinks he is the only person here who is
employed, can sit in an airplane, is bilingual.

Give him a few years away from the umbrella of the parents, and he might start to wise up a bit.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Wow.

You really are a vile individual to digress so far from the topic with such a comment.

I was living and studying in Paris for 6 years from the age of 19 when I left home. I haven't been home since (to live)! I've done everything on my own. My family are not particularly rich, if anything, I'm doing better than they are.

A very crude response, sir, very crude.

I think this should end, considering you have all run out of reasons to support smoking. I consider this a fail on your part and a win on mine. Why? Because I've been considered a paedophile who has a mummy/daddy upbringing with a narrow mind, along with lack of decent defense which, clearly, has already run dry considering what you are now responding with.

You guys kill me

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Vogon42

He actually thinks that smokers (who have been subjected to propaganda) for 50 years, have absolutely no idea what public health people say about smoking. We are totally in the dark and merely awaiting some enlightened one to come on this site and show us the way.

DB340

This is a website for people with an open mind who take everything you say and try to find the lie! Public Health is lying. Not just about the 440,000 people - about everything!

Such as - the effect of second-hand smoke on non-smokers exposed to it. Did you know that there has been 114 such studies conducted and only 14 of them show any effect at all? The largest studies, conducted by the International Centre for Cancer Research actually show a beneficial effect.

Do your research before you come on this site to "educate" all the "ignorant little people"

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Such as - the effect of second-hand smoke on non-smokers exposed to it. Did you know that there has been 114 such studies conducted and only 14 of them show any effect at all? The largest studies, conducted by the International Centre for Cancer Research actually show a beneficial effect.

The one proven thing that second hand smoke causes.....
It makes other people whine....

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
An example of a selfish smoker.

Lock up your daughters.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DB340

See DB340 - you are NOT interested in debate at all. You insisted I look at your website "evidence". I showed you a lie. You didn't blink an eye.

Then I talked about all the studies on second-hand smoke and you weren't even interested enough to ask.

Go back to university. Don't get more educated. Learn how to think instead. Its far more useful.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Go back to university. Don't get more educated. Learn how to think instead. Its far more useful.

Very well said.

S4U!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Starred that !!

Dr Op is failing but won't admit it. Open mind?? Riiiight.....

OP, you seem to like to think (yeah I know, thinking is a big word) that you are winning and everybody else here is losing...so it raises a question?

You Charlie Sheen?

Meh. Just joking around with you. I personally think (yeah that word again) that you are just trolling us. But that's just me. Why did I quit again??

Vogon, thank you for the well wishes !!! It's appreciated !

ETA I wonder if it'll take, say, another 10 or 20 pages to get a second flag. Outstanding thread !!!
edit on 4-2-2012 by SonoftheSun because: I'm out of this one. Have fun.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
OP, you seem to like to think (yeah I know, thinking is a big word) that you are winning and everybody else here is losing...so it raises a question?

You Charlie Sheen?

Dude!
Awesome......
I just shot beer out of my nose from laughing

Vogon, thank you for the well wishes !!! It's appreciated !

Glad I could help inspire you bro.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The pricelessness of this thread is: It's about why you smoke and how it's not a great option for enjoyment, for yourself or others, and within that thread, you both critise and then, and this is the best bit - discuss how you are quitting and supporting each other!

Man, if I could write comedy, this is where I'd start.

You can say as you wish about closed mindedness and ignoring your comments, links, etc., but I don't, I read and think and respond. The fact remains: people trying to disprove my claims of smoking not being the best choice are then supporting each other and giving encouragement for stopping.

Now if that doesn't make people chuckle, I don't know what will.

I'm outta here.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Please re-read my post. I quoted 11 reasons for smoking, of which pleasure was only one. You failed to address any of them.

You also failed to recognise that respect for someone else's lifestyle choices doesn't undermine our arguments in the least. But again, there is that lack of ability to think again. I personally don't jog. I believe it is very very hard on the joints but if someone told me that they really enjoy jogging and that it makes their life better, I would respect their choice.

Just like I respect your choice to drink - even though I don't drink myself.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Please re-read my post. I quoted 11 reasons for smoking, of which pleasure was only one. You failed to address any of them.

You also failed to recognise that respect for someone else's lifestyle choices doesn't undermine our arguments in the least. But again, there is that lack of ability to think again. I personally don't jog. I believe it is very very hard on the joints but if someone told me that they really enjoy jogging and that it makes their life better, I would respect their choice.

Just like I respect your choice to drink - even though I don't drink myself.

Tired of Control Freaks

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join