It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
reply to post by DB340
I do not smoke. I have never touched a cigarette. Smoking cannot be defended by: 1. Comparing it with drinking alcohol. 2. Labelling it 'something enjoyable'. 3. Saying 'people can do what they want'. 4. Arguing that 'we all die sooner or later from something, so who cares?'
1. Comparing it with drinking alcohol.
1. Drinking is a natural function. We have drinks of all tastes, sizes, consistencies and strengths. A mirage of sources create concoctions which are most delicious to the palate. Even alcohol, when drunk by non-alcoholics and those who simply savour the taste, is not dangerous to the body. Coke is worse (watch the coke conspiracy video found here). I love a glass of red wine, different countries providing different tastes. I never drive after (or even the same day; I can't afford being caught) and, aside with wine, I enjoy tropical-tasting drinks and even plain old water. It's a natural requirement to drink fluids of some kind.
2. Labelling it 'something enjoyable'.
2. Smoking may well be enjoyable to some 'mentally', but physically, your body does not enjoy it. It was not designed or created for the required intake of poisoned smoke and does not enjoy it at all; not to the mention the unfortunate people around you who do not wish to partake, passively, in your tasteless (pun intended) habit. Enjoyment in puting some round paper in your mouth with known deadly chemicals in it is far from enjoyable in most people's book. It may provide you with access to certain 'groups' or 'peers' who smoke, but the body does not enjoy it, even if you do. And you become what you intake
3. Saying 'people can do what they want'.
3. I quite agree that people can do what they want. This, however, when living on a shared planet of beings, is not as free-running as you may wish to think
4. Arguing that 'we all die sooner or later from something, so who cares?'
If you want to play that game, do the following: go and kill yourself now. Why? Well, you might be hit by a car, a comet, a cancer of some kind, be involved in a botched robbery or mugging, be in a plane crash, fall down the stairs and break your neck...
Now to the logic of putting something in your mouth and inhaling. What exactly is it that you find so appealing? Are you like a baby who needs his dummy so badly from his mother? Do you realise what you all look like? Break it down: a company is producing many lethal chemicals (how that is legal, I'll never know), they even tell you it's lethal by advertising it on their packaging (how that is even logical, I'll never know), yet they or you wrap it up into a long tube, seal it, light it and breathe it in... knowing 110% that it smells, it has negative effects on your body, other people don't like the smell of it and, as I may have said a few times: It is not a natural required bodily function to inhale smoke from a stick of paper in your mouth.
Add to this the fact that you can't LIVE if you don't have one... and that people even ask strangers for a light when they have no lighter fluid... you will see what a strange, desperate bunch of individuals you are.
I can't wait for your responses... I'm laughing already.
Originally posted by DB340
My comparison with drinking 'alcohols' was because people say "You drink alcohol, that harms your body, so why can't I have a cigarette". Well, for me it's wine, whic his from grapes. That's natural. It doesn't have a company adding chemicals to it which will, well, you know all the side-effects.
Chemicals that are permitted by law for use in winemaking include pesticides, herbicides, equipment cleaning chemicals, and sulphite preservatives