It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it me or are people just really bad at driving...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

Just because you can drive, doesn't mean you should.

Alaska is alright, but L.A., no way I want in the mess

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
This kind of thread isn't about stars & flags, it's about waiting for their turn to tell their stories. (I was the 1st flag, and started on page 2)

This thread will appear on most discussed but not most starred, no one will look at another's comment, it's about venting their own horror story.

I grew up in New England. Portuguese drivers were considered "worst in the world" by National Geographic, which are the majority in the MA/CT/RI areas. That makes "Southern New England" the areas with the worst drivers in AMERICA according to their studies.

I fully agree, and then some.

edit on 2-2-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm
I feel like, people just have no idea what they're doing on the road. EIther that or they are complete a$$holes with no care for anyone else.

Im driving down the fast lane, start to approach the car in front of me, he is going slightly slower than everyone else, why is it so hard to just move over to the next lane, and let the people who want to pass, pass?

Every time I put my blinker on to alert the person behind me that I am changing lanes, they hit the gas, and cut me off. It now makes more sense to not use the blinker and just swerve into the next lane when there's space.

For whatever reason people have a problem with motorcycles. I ride a bike, and I have people trying to cut me off, or pull into me, and do nasty s**t.

It seems like every time I'm waiting at a long red light, behind a long trail of cars, the first car is never paying attention and sits there for the first 4-5 seconds without moving, then moves with incredible slowness and very slightly eases the gas pedal forward, then it follows all the way back through the line. When I'm driving and the light turns green, I'm right behind the car in front of me, its okay to be close people, were not on the freeway we're talking about less than 35 mph. Beyond that it is reasonable to keep distance.

I guess my point is, if people were more attentive while driving, and thought more about what they were doing, what space they were occupying, if pulling up to the next car and not leaving a 20ft gap might help speed things along, we might really be able to make the driving experience better, faster, more efficient. But instead we don't let each other in, we cut each other off, all slowing everything down, setting up chain reactions that eventually lead to gridlock, with no one going nowhere.

I dunno...Generally when I'm driving I'm far too busy texting, and eating fast food to pay attention to how bad the other drivers are....

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
My brother rides a motorcycle. When I'm driving and I see a bike on the road I always try to give them a little extra space. I've been driving for close to 40 years now, people are less courteous than they used to be. Some people don't seem to have grasp on what the rules of the road are. Some times I wish I lived in the city, then I could take the bus, let some one else have all the headaches.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by alonzo730
My brother rides a motorcycle. When I'm driving and I see a bike on the road I always try to give them a little extra space. I've been driving for close to 40 years now, people are less courteous than they used to be. Some people don't seem to have grasp on what the rules of the road are. Some times I wish I lived in the city, then I could take the bus, let some one else have all the headaches.

Nice that you show some respect, and couteousness to others on the road, not many do.

I think that our driving system needs to be updated. Drivers need to be able to determine when it is safe and when it is not to proceed, and to know the right of way of all drivers. Knowing this could greatly speed things along and could eliminate major traffic jams. I think it would be good If we mixed the stop sign and the yield sign together, so if you determine that there are no other cars to stop for, then proceed as if it is a yield sign, no need to stop for a full 3 seconds. It sounds trivial, but I think the time all adds up.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by alonzo730
I've been driving for close to 40 years now, people are less courteous than they used to be. Some people don't seem to have grasp on what the rules of the road are

Everything always used to be better.

For everybody's entertainment and education....

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I feel like, people just have no idea what they're doing on the road. EIther that or they are complete a$$holes with no care for anyone else.

Im driving down the fast lane, start to approach the car in front of me, he is going slightly slower than everyone else, why is it so hard to just move over to the next lane, and let the people who want to pass, pass?

Every time I put my blinker on to alert the person behind me that I am changing lanes, they hit the gas, and cut me off. It now makes more sense to not use the blinker and just swerve into the next lane when there's space.

For whatever reason people have a problem with motorcycles. I ride a bike, and I have people trying to cut me off, or pull into me, and do nasty s**t.

It seems like every time I'm waiting at a long red light, behind a long trail of cars, the first car is never paying attention and sits there for the first 4-5 seconds without moving, then moves with incredible slowness and very slightly eases the gas pedal forward, then it follows all the way back through the line. When I'm driving and the light turns green, I'm right behind the car in front of me, its okay to be close people, were not on the freeway we're talking about less than 35 mph. Beyond that it is reasonable to keep distance.

I guess my point is, if people were more attentive while driving, and thought more about what they were doing, what space they were occupying, if pulling up to the next car and not leaving a 20ft gap might help speed things along, we might really be able to make the driving experience better, faster, more efficient. But instead we don't let each other in, we cut each other off, all slowing everything down, setting up chain reactions that eventually lead to gridlock, with no one going nowhere.

Definitely a combination of your two alternatives.

You've hinted at a few 'bad habits' of your own.

I don't know what country you're in, but, a speed limit, is a speed 'limit'...it' not a compulsion, rule or law to drive at that speed. Adjunct to this, there is no regulation which compels anyone to accelerate from a set of lights at a particular speed. If you find yourself behind a 'slow' driver, you either change lanes, or, wake up earlier (then you will be in front of the 'offending' driver, or, you take a different route (so you won't be behind the 'offending' driver).

I drive for a living and am more amazed that there are not more horrendous accidents than there are. I see potential accidents all the time, and wonder how these people are allowed to be in control of these potential death dealing machines on the first place.

The roadway is paid for by all, not by just those who think they have access to the higher speeds, front of lanes, particular lanes...if you don't like this, you should have invested in a private roadway system.

I have driven a motorcycle and understand exactly where you come from on your points. Car drivers are careless, and a degree of defensiveness should always be employed when in control of a vehicle which is much smaller and can do much more damage to you than you to it. This applies to trucks also...it would be, and is the height of stupidity to challenge in any way a truck driver to a 'duel'. A truck needs 100 metres or more to come to a complete and safe stop, and pulling in front of a truck, coming up to red light, is a death sentence for you...and a life of misery for the truck driver, who cannot do anything about it...THINK before you choose to be a HERO!

Akushla

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

I tend to agree, but it doenst matter what route I take, or how early I wake up, or a matter of just changing lanes. I don't think that I should come before anyone else. A lot of the times I am waiting at a left turn only lane. Have to go to the same one everyday to get to work, and everytime it is full of about 45-50 cars going all the way back. The green light only lasts about 5 seconds. A lot of times what will happen, is the car in front doesn't leave when it turns green, instead he waits there and only one car can get through at a time, instead of about 10-12. Or the first few people will go, and the car in front of me won't go anywhere, then somebody in the going straight lane, cuts into the left turn lane in front of the car just stopped there, and cuts in front of like 50 people waiting in line.

So its not like I can just change lanes and forget about, I have to go through the left turn. But it isn't fair for people to just determine how fast, and how slow they want to do things. We should try to be as efficient as possible all the time. But it seems like theres a lot of people driving around seemingly with no place to be, because they're driving so slow, and carelessly.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I have recently noticed a curious thing at a signal. If the signal is more then 2 minutes, the person waiting will often drift off. It seems that the attention span of quite a lot of people no longer exceeds the length of a signal.

Sadly people also seem to mistake the car for their home, in fact I would say that people now regard nearly every place their body can be as their home: sidewalk, store, movie theater etc. This has them drifting off rather than realizing they are in control of a 2k or more pound weapon.

We also don't train people to operate the car properly at all. Answer a few questions, demonstrate you can use the gas and break and off you go. In germany people drive really fast, because the know how to, here people drive fast because the watched all fast and furious movies.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
I have recently noticed a curious thing at a signal. If the signal is more then 2 minutes, the person waiting will often drift off. It seems that the attention span of quite a lot of people no longer exceeds the length of a signal.

Sadly people also seem to mistake the car for their home, in fact I would say that people now regard nearly every place their body can be as their home: sidewalk, store, movie theater etc. This has them drifting off rather than realizing they are in control of a 2k or more pound weapon.

We also don't train people to operate the car properly at all. Answer a few questions, demonstrate you can use the gas and break and off you go. In germany people drive really fast, because the know how to, here people drive fast because the watched all fast and furious movies.

I agree 100% You've seemed to wrap that up pretty nicely. It does kind of freak me out, on how easy it is to get a liscencse and just start driving. Just like you said, people aare driving around a giant weapon capavle of doing some pretty major damage. But people would rather just not care, until it effects them, just throw whatever s**t out the window, take up as much space as they want( taking up two parking spots), go as slow or as fast as they want. I think we need to change the whole DMV system, driving is not a right but a privelege, somehow this countries mentality has become that everthing is a right, no one is accountable for what they do, and nobody has a responsibility for themselves. Where is this all going?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

It seems like every time I'm waiting at a long red light, behind a long trail of cars, the first car is never paying attention and sits there for the first 4-5 seconds without moving, then moves with incredible slowness and very slightly eases the gas pedal forward,

what I hate in this situation and being the front guy and waiting for the 3 red light runners like they are the tail of a funeral procession or something.

Riding: pulling into the left turn lane got cut off. had to lock up both. Horrible chatter on the fork tree. Lived to have a little old lady in a Caddie, same left lane turn, only I am right at her door, she is coming into me. I yelled "Hey" she jerked it back then cussed me out.....I went home and cut the mufflers out of my Magna. Loud pipes save lives

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

reply to post by akushla99

I tend to agree, but it doenst matter what route I take, or how early I wake up, or a matter of just changing lanes. I don't think that I should come before anyone else. A lot of the times I am waiting at a left turn only lane. Have to go to the same one everyday to get to work, and everytime it is full of about 45-50 cars going all the way back. The green light only lasts about 5 seconds. A lot of times what will happen, is the car in front doesn't leave when it turns green, instead he waits there and only one car can get through at a time, instead of about 10-12. Or the first few people will go, and the car in front of me won't go anywhere, then somebody in the going straight lane, cuts into the left turn lane in front of the car just stopped there, and cuts in front of like 50 people waiting in line.

So its not like I can just change lanes and forget about, I have to go through the left turn. But it isn't fair for people to just determine how fast, and how slow they want to do things. We should try to be as efficient as possible all the time. But it seems like theres a lot of people driving around seemingly with no place to be, because they're driving so slow, and carelessly.

I feel your pain.
Sounds like a case of 21st century traffic...comes with the territory...

I like to leave ages earlier to avoid the, 'get outta my way' syndrome, or the, 'get off my road' syndrome, or the 'hurry the $$ck up' syndrome...but you're right, it doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is, there's always someone wanting you to MOOOOVE outta thier way...coz, they're in a bigger and more important hurry than you.

Cheers
Akushla

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
You should try being a pedestrian. It's the law in my state that cars should yield to pedestrians in a marked crosswalk, regardless of lights or signs. A marked crosswalk can be white stripes, or just white lines, and it includes all intersections.

Yesterday I was in the middle of the cross walk already, and a car comes along obvioulsy not going to stop, until they saw I wasn't going to stop as I pointed at the white stripes marking the cross walk, and they had to slam the breaks on. They gave me a look like WTF, I shouted it's a crosswalk you're supposed to yield. I got the finger.

It pisses me off cause I got hit from behind by a taxi/limo in a cross walk, a lighted cross walk where I had the green, a few years ago causing fractures in my spine (I have brittle bone disease). It cost them a lot of cash, but it didn't fix my already damaged spine.

Drivers are clueless to the rules of the road, even professionals, cops. They never stop at crosswalks if they can sneak by you, and if there are no lights or stop sign forget it, they have no clue pedestrians have the right of way.

800+ people a year are killed by cars in my city. A well known tourist town, supposedly pedestrian safe. People drive around these streets like they're on race track.

Driving makes people inpatient, they become more concerned about the cars behind them that they are holding up, than the pedestrians life they are being ignorantly inconsiderate with.

Bicycles are also allowed full use of the lane in my city, but try putting that right into practice.

I was bicycle messenger for a couple of years, and cars would honk at you when they had three other lanes they could use, but they're too lazy to move over, and in their arrogant self importance think you're in their way.

I used to like cars, I had an 85 TA fully loaded, fast as...I stopped driving when I moved to the city, now I detest them more than anything. I live in what is supposed to be a pedestrian friendly city, I do walk a little slower than most and crossing the road is like battling lions in an arena sometimes lol. For one a lot of the cross walks with lights just don't last long enough, you get halfway across and they start to change, so you move quicker, but then you have to slow to avoid the idiot trying to turn right who is looking for cars, and not paying attention to the cross-walk.

In fact the cop when I got hit tried to tell me it was my fault for not looking. The car came from behind me as it cut the corner of a 6 lane road, moving too fast trying to avoid traffic. I don't have eyes in the back of my head, and I can't walk looking backwards all the time.

I think it's just too easy to get a license, it's treated like a right. I think it should be a privilege reserved for those who can prove they can drive courteously, and know the rules of the road. Lots of people know how to operate a car, but very few know how to drive.

Anways thanx for the thread, I feel a bit better now lol.

edit on 2/3/2012 by ANOK because: typo

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Yes. I've been driving for 17 years and I've noticed over the past 6 or so years people's behaviour on the roads has become appalling.

I can spot people who have passed their test within the past ten years, as they seem to have been taught from a different rule book to when I was learning to drive (now acceptable to go in the left hand lane on a roundabout to go right, instead of in the right hand lane as it used to be).

Indicators are now just that weird stick on the end of the steering wheel with no use. Seems acceptable to hog the right hand lane on a dual carriageway doing 30mph when there is absolutely nothing in the inside lane at all, causing a major tailback.

Also to block your junction even if they have nowhere to go as there's a queue, and staring ahead as though you don't exist.

I'm in the UK by the way.

Rant over

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I agree. However there are many a times when I am driving a long, at about 30-35 mph, people like to jump into the cross walk about 15 ft before I get there, then they give me a scowl when I don't stop. Look it is physically impossible to stop in 15ft at 30 mph. So its not that I don't want to stop for you its, I physically can't. Now there are other times when someone is clearly waiting at a crosswalk, and I do my best to be aware of them and stop for them, if possible. Usually people aren't stopped at a cross walk, they're walking towards one. Most of the time people are walking towards a crosswalk, because theres a lot of them ( depending on where you are) but just because they are walking towards a crosswalk doesn't mean they'll use it, and it doesn't make sense for a driver to stop everytime a person approaches a crosswalk, because usually they just walk by without using it.

The whole thing about pedestrians have a right of way troubles me. Pedestrians all of the sudden think, "I have the right of way, so I can just jump right in the middle of a roadway, and people are forced to stop for me" the problem is physics. It takes a certain distance to stop, depending on speed, so while pedestrians have the right of way, people still have to respect that this 2500lb machine can easily kill you.

I don't mind bicycles on the road when it makes sense. A two lane road, that is on a cliff, with no shoulder, is no place for a bicycle, especially if there are trails going everywhere. Where I live you can get to anyplace you could in a car, on a trail, so riding on the road doesn't make sense to me. If you are, I would think that at least the biker would ride on the shoulder of the road if there is one, a lot of times there is plenty of space off the road on the shoulder, but the bike rather stay in the middle of the lane blocking everyone. Its like being on a really long escalator and people in front of you stand in the middle instead of the right, to let you through. Its not really a big deal, but its just courteous to let people who want to get through, get through, especially when it takes pretty much no effort at all. This is why I can't understand people who are angry at drivers trying to pass them, it takes no effort to let them pass, but people would rather just stay in the way, waiting for the day when the driver snaps pulls out a gun and just starts shooting.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

I agree. However there are many a times when I am driving a long, at about 30-35 mph, people like to jump into the cross walk about 15 ft before I get there, then they give me a scowl when I don't stop.

If you're 15 feet from a cross walk you should be slowing down EXPECTING to have to stop for a pedestrian.

This is the problem, drivers don't anticipate what might be ahead.

Look it is physically impossible to stop in 15ft at 30 mph.

You shouldn't be doing 30mph near a cross walk if you can't stop in time. If there is a cross walk coming up and people are standing near it you stop, it's as easy as that.

Sorry but you're just making excuses.

Now there are other times when someone is clearly waiting at a crosswalk, and I do my best to be aware of them and stop for them, if possible.

Peds have the right of way at intersections and marked cross walks, you should be aware of that and drive accordingly. If you can't stop for a cross walk you're either driving too fast or not paying attention.

This is the problem most drivers don't even think about stopping for Peds unless they are forced to.

Usually people aren't stopped at a cross walk, they're walking towards one. Most of the time people are walking towards a crosswalk, because theres a lot of them ( depending on where you are) but just because they are walking towards a crosswalk doesn't mean they'll use it, and it doesn't make sense for a driver to stop everytime a person approaches a crosswalk, because usually they just walk by without using it.

That is true but most drivers don't stop period, let alone drive in a manner that they can stop safely if a Ped wants to cross. A Ped only has to stand at the curb waiting to cross, not be in the cross walk itself, for you to have to yield to them.

The whole thing about pedestrians have a right of way troubles me. Pedestrians all of the sudden think, "I have the right of way, so I can just jump right in the middle of a roadway, and people are forced to stop for me" the problem is physics. It takes a certain distance to stop, depending on speed, so while pedestrians have the right of way, people still have to respect that this 2500lb machine can easily kill you.

No, the problem is you drive too fast. Yes Peds have to respect cars, but drivers don't respect Peds because you're nice and safe inside your box. The Ped is the one who will get maimed, killed. You should be giving other Humans the upmost respect and consideration, and adjust your driving style. It's not fun getting hit by a car I can tell you!

I don't mind bicycles on the road when it makes sense. A two lane road, that is on a cliff, with no shoulder, is no place for a bicycle, especially if there are trails going everywhere. Where I live you can get to anyplace you could in a car, on a trail, so riding on the road doesn't make sense to me. If you are, I would think that at least the biker would ride on the shoulder of the road if there is one, a lot of times there is plenty of space off the road on the shoulder, but the bike rather stay in the middle of the lane blocking everyone. Its like being on a really long escalator and people in front of you stand in the middle instead of the right, to let you through. Its not really a big deal, but its just courteous to let people who want to get through, get through, especially when it takes pretty much no effort at all. This is why I can't understand people who are angry at drivers trying to pass them, it takes no effort to let them pass, but people would rather just stay in the way, waiting for the day when the driver snaps pulls out a gun and just starts shooting.

You don't mind? As you shouldn't, bikes have as much right to use the road as you do? Why do drivers think they have more rights than anyone else to use the road?

Bicycles always make sense. Drivers have the attitude that they are the only ones who should use the road, learn to share and stop being so impatient. If the law says a bike can use the whole lane then they have that right. If not you're right, they should move to the shoulder. But I was ranting about my city where bikes are allowed full use of the lane, and riding on the side-walk is illegal even though they do and it is also a danger to Peds. But they ride on the side-walk because of stupid car drivers. I had a good friend killed by a truck on their bicycle while working, the stupid truck driver just got impatient and ran right over him.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Okay, but if I stopped everytime a person approached a crosswalk, I might as well be walking. It doesn't make sense, its not that they're waiting at the crosswalk, people are walking to wherever they are walking and just expect drivers to watch their every move. Sorry it takes effort from both the driver and the pedestrian, it isn't one sided. Crosswalks are marked to show pedestrians where to walk, also to show where drivers are supposed to stop when a pedestrian is waiting at a crosswalk. It doesn't make sense to stop everytime a person APPROACHES a crosswalk. You don't cross a crosswalk everytime you approach one, sometimes you don't need to cross the street. So you pedestrians who think you can just walk around without STOPPING then you are mistaken. Both cars and pedestrians have to stop, pedestrians have to stop and wait to alert drivers they are about to cross, and drivers are supposed to stop and let them. It doesn't work any other way, if you if you still think it is then you are clearly mistaken. We've created automobiles to speed up our transportation, so of course they are the reason for roads. Roads are made for the cars, not for people to walk on or ride their bike. The reason bikes are allowed on roads, are because people are afraid of them riding on sidewalks, which is ridiculous, and because not everybody can afford a car. The simple truth is, if your a bicycle on a one way road, with one lane, and no shoulder and you have over 3 cars behind you trying to get past, you should pull over and let them through, it doesn't make sense for everybody to go your speed, just because you don't FEEL like pulling over. We have to share the road, and people think that pedestrians and bicycles should dominate it, well it doesn't and thats just a fact of life you'll have to deal with.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

Okay, but if I stopped everytime a person approached a crosswalk, I might as well be walking.

You should stop. I don't care how long it takes you, that is no excuse. Stop being impatient. Sorry, but I have absolutely no sympathy for cars at all. It's always excuses, 'oh I didn't see you', of course you didn't you weren't looking for pedestrians.

If you have a problem with too many crosswalks, you should take it up with the city council.

The thing is to the car driver the pedestrian is just an inconvenience, but to the pedestrian the car is potential death. Peds have to watch for cars constantly, so why should you not also be on the lookout for peds? In fact you should be more careful than peds, it will cost you an arm and a leg if you were to hit someone, even if you are not completely to blame.

800+ a year killed because a driver didn't pay attention.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

No its an equal effort from both, if you don't like it you can move to a different country. Im not going to treat every crosswalk as a stop sign. You can always move to alaska or something where they don't use cars. Plus how many people drive cars vs. walk. You'll just never win that battle, ultimately its up to the majority of society to determine our rules, so good luck with that. You say you have no sympathy for drivers, which is exactly why drivers have no sympathy for you. Its not a one way world, although people would like it that way. You can't just expect everyone to stop for you, because you are so special, and you are walking, YOU make the choice to endanger yourself. You don't have to be anywhere near a car if you dont want to.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Other thing that gets to me. When people go wide for every turn they make. You don't need to go wide for every turn you make, especially to the point where you are entering the lane next to you. Number one you aren't looking for cars in the next lane, because your looking where your turning, number two either going to hit somebody in the next lane, or the drivers in both lanes behind you have no idea what your doing because you have your right blinker on, but your pulling to the left.

Once was following a service truck of some kind, he was going pretty slow, must haven't of recognized I was behind him, he was probably looking for a house, he ends up pulling to the right against the curb like he's parking, so I proceed to pass, problem was he wasn't parking he was making a left turn with no blinker, I almost crashed right into him. Aren't people aware of how other people are interpreting their actions?

Also can someone please assure me that it is ridiculous to treat crosswalks just as you would a stop sign. Many angry pedestrians have given me their opinion, and apparently we should all be stopping everytime we see a crosswalk.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join