It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoked Moose Meat or large game.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Better than Jerky! In my opionion...

My Dad learned this from a old native friend, when he was trapping many years ago.

Debone a moose, cut into large thin strips, the trick is to cut it so that the piece becomes large and thin by starting at the middle and moving towards the outer area, and flipping it out as you go. I hope that makes sense. I can try and explain it more if needed. This is a very big job.

Season with salt.

Make an outdoor smoker by placing sheets of plywood around a frame leaving the front and back open. Have some sort of rack to hang the meat from inside the smoker.

Build a small fire just outside of the smoker, add small amounts of wood branches all through the day, making sure not to have the fire too hot as you want smoke, not heat.

Do this for 2 days or so until meat is dry.

You can make this into pemmican by pounding the meat into a powder. (saves space)

When properly dried this would last for a long time. It does not last long in our house as we all love it and eat it till our stomachs, and jaws hurt from chewing it.

My favourite way to eat is to dip in a bit of butter before eating.

WARNING THIS IS VERY ADDICTIVE!!!

I broke my baby teeth in on this, and so did all 3 of my children.

Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by lightmere

Sounds delicious.

But alas! No Moose here.
S&F

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

I have tried it with beef from the grocery, it was not the same as it was more fatty, but still very good. We once did a turkey with very good results, but i dont think the shelf life is the same.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
No moose where i live, in a survival type situation would this work on dogs,cats and people?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshF

Well I guess it would, I personally don’t want to try the humans, even in a survival situation. But you go right ahead and try if you like
. Actually I don’t believe I would like to try the dogs or cats either!

I would be more inclined to try birds, beavers, coyote or other small game.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
My pemmican always comes out lousy. I can never get it right. Anyways .. large game ... ELK is
(for steaks and regular eating.) If I have to pick one large game meat - ELK. I'm wondering about jerky etc etc with elk meat. Anyone know?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I am sure you could use Elk meat.

I have tried it before and it is very good, I can see it making very good smoked meat.

Actually Elk is one my favourites, but we don’t have any around here, and last time I bought Elk burgers they were $ 10 each not cooked.

Let me know if you try it and how it works out.

new topics

top topics

join