It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Media Enforced Gender War

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I want to start a thread where we can document examples of blatant media created Gender War. Not where women and men are actually fighting about something, but where some piece of media is clearly intended to provoke gender war.

www.dailymail.co.uk... =1490

In this piece they are saying the study shows that men are egotistical and overbearing with too much testosterone.

Of course, what the study actually did was take women, a very small sample set of 17 WOMEN with low testosterone and model their behaviour differences.

But the media is selling this at men with too much testosterone being hard to work with.

When what it shows is that women with low testosterone react with aggressiveness to artificially increasing their testosterone levels.

When you see an example of the Media Enforce Gender War, Post It Here!

edit on 2012/2/1 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Well, I don't think it can be said to be provoking a gender war, merely reporting on the findings of scientists holding a study could illuminate some biases that a single publication has, but the concept of peer review is something men and women who value science share; you can't use science to provoke them into hating each other, if they already know that science wouldn't back up any real reason for them not to be together.

I think the media likes controversy because controversy sells; Anything to do with sex sells fairly well. Toss in some name-dropping of hormones and it's like you get to talk about drugs too! So, Sex, Drugs, and the controversy that is substituted for rock and roll.

What other proof can you present that pushes forth a media-manipulated gender war?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This piece is in dozens of publications, and almost all of them took this sort of take on it. The conclusion presented is not consistent with what was studied. Therefore I am not arguing the science, I am arguing the presentation and conclusion presented.

In answer to your last question about what other evidence - well, that's what I hope that my fellow ATSers will help me with. Let us aggregate some examples of the Media Driven Gender War.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Ah... Social Science... The cousin of Physics and Mechanics that never gets invited to Christmas parties...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

But the media is selling this at men with too much testosterone being hard to work with.

When what it shows is that women with low testosterone react with aggressiveness to artificially increasing their testosterone levels.

Question:

What does this have to do with the media? If you took a group of males with a low baseline of testosterone and introduced higher testosterone levels you would see the same effect.

Hence aggressiveness being one of the side effects of male hormone replacement therapy.

I don't think this study has anything to do with the media and I'm confused as to what message you are trying to convey in the thread..

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
So, do scientists try to start gender wars too? www.iqtestexperts.com...
Facts are facts buddy, all this "we are all equal" crap is what is going to ruin society. You must have been on one of those sport teams as a kid where everyone got a trophy and everyone "won".
edit on 2-2-2012 by JoshF because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshF
So, do scientists try to start gender wars too? www.iqtestexperts.com...
Facts are facts buddy, all this "we are all equal" crap is what is going to ruin society. You must have been on one of those sport teams as a kid where everyone got a trophy and everyone "won".
edit on 2-2-2012 by JoshF because: (no reason given)

It never made sense to me why people have been trying so hard to be "equal", because if it were the case humans would be exactly the same, no gender, and would reproduce asexually*, which just wouldn't be as much fun...

There is a reason men and women are different, and both genders should embrace it, not use it politically.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What men are told to want and how to get it:

Women as prey, sex as a game. The creepy, stalkerish quality of the video is no accident.

What women are told to want, and how to get it:

www.examiner.com...

In the article above, women are given tips about how to manipulate men into marrying them: withhold, threaten to move, drop passive-aggressive hints, etc.

Includes this effed-up gem of a quote, among many others:

For other men, pre-marital goals may include the adventure of sleeping with a woman of every race, or spending a decadent week in Rio with his buddies. But you won't know these things if you don't have an honest conversation which investigates his feelings about marriage.

"Honey, you know I'd marry you, but I still have to check "Phillippina" and "Maori" off the list...."

Courtship is certainly being pitched as a war. To all those posters who seem to be unclear on the OP's point: just throw on a new set of lenses. Men and women are being set at eachothers' throats everywhere you look in the media.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Eidolon23 because: quote add.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshF

Facts are facts buddy, all this "we are all equal" crap is what is going to ruin society.

Yo, just to settle this at the outset, so the thread itself doesn't turn into a new front on the gender war; can we all get behind the notion of "different but equal"?
edit on 2-2-2012 by Eidolon23 because: ?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Aeons

Question:

What does this have to do with the media? If you took a group of males with a low baseline of testosterone and introduced higher testosterone levels you would see the same effect.

Hence aggressiveness being one of the side effects of male hormone replacement therapy.

I don't think this study has anything to do with the media and I'm confused as to what message you are trying to convey in the thread..

This is not so.

There have been studies, larger ones, done on males an it shows that males with high testosterone are more even minded and fair in their interactions with others. That men with lower testosterone act more aggressive, and when their testosterone levels go up they act in a fairer manner.

You cannot generlize results this way.

Do you see though, that I was DEFENDING men, and yet you could not see it?
edit on 2012/2/2 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

OK. I will admit, I could not even make it through this clip. I maxed out my tolerance a mere 15 seconds in, this crap is just so toxic. But, I've read synopses and quotes, and I would say ladies are being set against ladies for the prize of King Douche.

So, we've got that to be worried about as women: a two-front gender war. Do men experience competition among themselves in the same way? I somehow do not get that impression, or at least, there doesn't seem to be such an overt angle on it in the media.

I would also note that female competition is widely eroticized; and that makes me go, "huh".

ETA: I would love to see the Chinese version of The Bachelor, where 20 men compete for one woman. Or maybe that's too close to reality to make a good reality show.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This one's for you, Aeons.

www.alternet.org...'s_magazines_sound_like_rapists/?page=entire

There could not be a more perfect example of the phenomena you complained of in the OP: studies being slanted to provide new incendiary fuel for the War.

Descriptions of women from convicted rapists and from magazines targeting young men in Britain – “lads’ mags” – are indistinguishable, according to a new study slated for publication in the British Journal of Psychology. Researchers from the University of Surrey and Middlesex University name this as the magazines’ dangerous normalization of “extreme sexist views by presenting those views in a mainstream context.”

Oooo, scary, huh? An indiscriminate reader might be led to believe that all men are just secretly rapists.

Yet, read on:

The UK study has room for critique: it is drawing from a relatively small sample size, primarily drawn from campus communities. There is no control group: that is, no way of distinguishing how men describe women outside of the scope of lads’ mags and convicted rapists.

There's more I could cite to call this study and it's conclusions out on the carpet, but it would get tedious, I suspect.

Here is where we may find a genuine area for concern, though:

These magazines are one of the few venues where men can find instruction about sexuality, particularly considering the limitations of sex education programs and what is considered legitimate to ask one’s peers and family.

That is likely to be the case, and will cause problems for us when it plays out on a mass-scale. Men's magazines do give abysmal sex advice. Well, unless the sole aim of sex is to trick your partner into giving it up, and the hell with her sexual needs once the deed is accomplished.

edit on 2-2-2012 by Eidolon23 because: "NO, dude, that is the opposite of what is good..."

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
A fascinating thing to me is the Hook-Up culture. At what point are the kids gonna get sick of everything meaning nothing?

But my buddy had a good insight on some of the fallout from the newest version of Free Love we're being fed. I'll paraphrase him:

"Girls are sexually assertive these days, and it freaks men out. It's intimidating to be told what to do in bed, to feel pressured to perform a certain way. And sometimes you really like a girl, and she blows you off."

Me: "Yeah, turns out nobody like to be on the business end of a fortspucking."

So, while young women are being conditioned to adopt a casual sex model that encourages them to be more vocal and aggressive about getting their needs met (something that usually requires time and learning a partner's tastes, i.e. a relationship), young men are being educated about what women want in Maxim. It doesn't seem to be working out well for anyone.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Eidolon23 because: Now, does it?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well Survivor this year is supposedly doing a male tribe vs female tribe, something they did before which failed miserably. Does that count?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreamer99

And how!

I sense a new low for humanity in the offing.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

I would love to see the Chinese version of The Bachelor, where 20 men compete for one woman. Or maybe that's too close to reality to make a good reality show.

I take it you didn't watch the Bachelorette?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

A fascinating thing to me is the Hook-Up culture. At what point are the kids gonna get sick of everything meaning nothing?

Do you know the infidelity rates? And not just in North America....

If your really look at it and consider, the whole idea of marrying to get married means nothing. If people are having sex outside of marriage either the sex or the marriage means nothing... SO... Which one is it and which one should it be?

Because people have been "hooking up" for thousands of years....

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

edit on 2-2-2012 by Eidolon23 because: meh.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23

edit on 2-2-2012 by Eidolon23 because: meh.

I saw your post before your edit.

So, while young women are being conditioned to adopt a casual sex model that encourages them to be more vocal and aggressive about getting their needs met (something that usually requires time and learning a partner's tastes, i.e. a relationship), young men are being educated about what women want in Maxim. It doesn't seem to be working out well for anyone.

And this, yes, you have a point. But if you look back at long lost cultures women were getting their needs met as well. Hence all those laws for killing women for infidelity. If it wasn't happening, the laws wouldn't be needed.

The only thing that has changed is now we all have to deal with the reality that everyone (men&women) have troubles standing up to the unrealistic goal of being a "moral" deity.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Okay, but I will say now and cite my sources later (time allowing, tomorrow morning) that the new wiring which has allowed us to rear offspring who take a couple of decades to mature is tied into pair-bonding, empathy, intimacy, reciprocation, and all the neurochemistry that reinforce those things.

Dude, for sure, the old wiring is still in play, but it gets checked at the executive level by our higher functions. That there is a struggle between what we once were and what we now are doesn't mean we should throw our skirts up and race back to the dawn of man just b/c being human isn't always easy.

Related reading:

www.helenfisher.com...
www.oxytocin.org...
www.jhsph.edu...

There's more, but I've got to knock a character sheet together.

edit on 2-2-2012 by Eidolon23 because: Love saves. And rolls for extra damage.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join