It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy movement evicted from Miami camp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Occupy movement evicted from Miami camp

www.sun-sentinel.com

MIAMI—
Scores of police swept through the downtown location of Occupy Miami Tuesday night, ejecting several dozen demonstrators and arresting a few of them while shutting down the protest camp after three and a half months.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines -- Copy the Exact Headline
edit on 2/2/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
6 People were arrested during the raid. One of them is an independent journalist who was filming during the raid. He was held for nearly 24 hours. when his camera was returned it had had some footage deleted.

He says he was told to leave because he is an independent journalist.

Live interview streaming link at:

keithbarrett.com...

www.sun-sentinel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Freedom of press my ass. How is this legally going on? There is a right to protest, anything charged afterwards onto any participant should be inadmissible in any court.

Though I'm sure there are shady laws in place to make a blatant crime like this legal. I sure wish the people in charge would obey the laws they create.
edit on 1-2-2012 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Protest is Protest and Camping is Camping. This has gone beyond both in some cases and become an attempt to sieze the land outright, given the LOOOOONG term nature of this. Right or wrong, there it is.... If anyone is in Occupy and has any illusions about being in violation of the law...well heck, I'd have to ask what they had thought they were getting into?

Arrest goes with the territory now and it looks like the cities got a kick in the tail again from 'on high'. There sure are a number of them moving in quick succession just recently.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
His time on the webcast is over, they've moved on to photography. The main points of the interview is that he was asked to leave but didn't so was arrested. He was there as an independent journalist (having previously worked for the mainstream media). It was obvious he was there to film the event in prep for writing about it but he was arrested anyway.

I can't comment on whether the occupy movement is good or bad, I haven't followed it too enough. I am concerned that journalists are arrested for filming events as they unfold.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rapacity
I can't comment on whether the occupy movement is good or bad, I haven't followed it too enough. I am concerned that journalists are arrested for filming events as they unfold.

I'm with you, I could care less about OWS, they could be much more organized, I can't follow a movement that can't get its point across.

Arresting journalists is the same thing as American journalists being detained in other countries. When that happens they are called hostages. Those who jail them terrorists.

What is the difference between the two?

The shade of grey is getting darker everyday.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapacity

I'd be curious to know if he had any credentials, for anything media related? It's not pure curiosity, actually, as I'm really gaining interest with classes I'm in for professional photography. As I'm understanding it, without credentials of some kind, a freelancer has as much tolerance from others and access as anyone might do the favor of providing, but nothing more?

With the Ustream guys and back up cameras with Occupy as a literal multi-media wing of the well organized camps/groups, I'd say it'd be awfully confusing to tell protester and legit media apart if there isn't something showing status....?

edit on 1-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487

I'm with you, I could care less about OWS, they could be much more organized, I can't follow a movement that can't get its point across.

More of this media BS youve been spoonfed and now believe like it is an original thought.

Why is this the most common complaint against OWS?
"OWS is stupid, I dont even know what they want."
"OWS doesnt stand for anything, its just kids!"

OWS has/had an entire list of what they stood for. Maybe you didnt read it because....it wasnt in newspapers? Or on the 6 oclock news?

It was posted here on ATS. If you cant figure out the message of OWS, its because you are lazy and ignorant, not because there isnt a message. All you had to do was Google "OWS demands" and you can see their message and what they want.

So why do you continue to lie about it?
edit on 1-2-2012 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The thing that gets me is that everyone is a potential reporter. Everyone reports things all the time in day to day conversation. I just think we are on a very bad path when anyone can be detained while trying to inform people about any issue no matter how mundane or insignificant.

Thats why I detest SOPA or any other piece of legislation that could limit what is put on or viewable on the internet. The mainstream media is laughable. I sure do enjoy listening to the same 5 stories day after day knowing full well there are endless more important things that never get any coverage happening everyday.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Originally posted by cconn487

More of this media BS youve been spoonfed and now believe like it is an original thought.

Why is this the most common complaint against OWS?
"OWS is stupid, I dont even know what they want."
"OWS doesnt stand for anything, its just kids!"

OWS has/had an entire list of what they stood for. Maybe you didnt read it because....it wasnt in newspapers? Or on the 6 oclock news?

It was posted here on ATS. If you cant figure out the message of OWS, its because you are lazy and ignorant, not because there isnt a message. All you had to do was Google "OWS demands" and you can see their message and what they want.

So why do you continue to lie about it?

I said that out of my lack of knowledge. Sorry dude, I really meant no offense. I get they have demands, but I really don't think they will ever be met with the way things are looking. Not enough coverage is to blame. I totally agree with you there. And I learned something, I had no idea they had demands. lol. And they are all respectable common sense stuff too.

I'm just tired of it all and I hope they don't become criminalized for wanting positive change. Which I guess is someones intention when any real reporting is discouraged in this country unless you get the OK.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

With all due respect, I would be very skeptical of how many people living in an Occupy camp today could recite over half of what is on the list they're supposedly being represented with. Honestly, the fact there is a list in the first place is the whole problem.

If Occupy would simply pick 1 or 2....maybe 3 issues and *ONLY* those issues to the exclusion of all else, then everyone would know and understand what it's all about, without having to read lists or catch the news to hear it said.

Simple word of mouth is great to carry a basic idea of a couple causes worth the sacrifice....but much past that, and Occupy's own people, outside the Committee staff and core member types, won't even keep it straight, IMO.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Well I wish more people would accept personal responsibility like you, instead of just parroting the same things they heard Rush Limbaugh say.

All I hear about OWS is "they dont have a message!" which is a complete fabrication, and no one ever bothers to check, they just say the same thing as an "acceptable" way to dismiss OWS.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

With all due respect, I would be very skeptical of how many people living in an Occupy camp today could recite over half of what is on the list they're supposedly being represented with. Honestly, the fact there is a list in the first place is the whole problem.

If Occupy would simply pick 1 or 2....maybe 3 issues and *ONLY* those issues to the exclusion of all else, then everyone would know and understand what it's all about, without having to read lists or catch the news to hear it said.

Simple word of mouth is great to carry a basic idea of a couple causes worth the sacrifice....but much past that, and Occupy's own people, outside the Committee staff and core member types, won't even keep it straight, IMO.

With all due respect, I would be skeptical of how many people that support Ron Paul could recite his positions, but that doesnt stop him from being a legitimate candidate does it?

It doesnt matter if they know all the positions, or just one. What matters is they all feel something is majorly wrong with this country, and they are right.

The problem is that the majority of OWS positions are pro-Under $250K a Year, and the people in power, the media, and all the people getting rich robbing you blind dont want that to spread.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Fair enough and true on Ron Paul. I'm familiar with his positions, but I can't manage to get anyone to give a moment to listen. Those who hate him or distrust him on media info are certain the man is a menace to society.

I'd assume by the way your talking that you do or have lived in a camp, so I'm sure this isn't total news but in St Louis we generally had about 30 seconds to explain to people on the sidewalk what it was about before they walked away. A lot of people did come up and ask, all the time, every day.

However, I would have given anything for a couple causes I could have conveyed on outreach within 10 seconds and spent the rest convincing them of why it mattered and how they ought to support us. Complete lack of results, in part, from that is certainly part of what makes outreach efforts beyond difficult in some places...and a challenge in all of them, IMO. Look at the posts here.

This is among the best informed and open minded bunch, in GENERAL terms, around...and you still have few outside Occupy who know what the core principles and goals are. Errr....that isn't the public's problem so much as a media/communication problem Occupy has had since they started this in September.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Rapacity

I'd be curious to know if he had any credentials, for anything media related? It's not pure curiosity, actually, as I'm really gaining interest with classes I'm in for professional photography. As I'm understanding it, without credentials of some kind, a freelancer has as much tolerance from others and access as anyone might do the favor of providing, but nothing more?

Whether or not technically any person can report news, I am willing to bet the authorities will only honor freedom of the press if you have press credentials. Try to get into an event as press without a press pass and see how far you get...

top topics

join