It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomy fans. Need help.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
So today I was at the Veteran's Dept. with a friend. We arrived at 1:45 P.M. I know this as I was aware I was 15 minutes early for my two o'clock appointment.
Early afternoon and I looked up and saw the moon but it did not seem right to me so I asked the friend who was with me if the moon looked normal to him. He made a fuss that the moon was visible in the daytime but I knew this was no big deal and ignored that. Other than the timing though he saw nothing wrong with it.
I am wondering if I am losing it now because it is 10:12 P.M. It is very dark outside and the moon is hanging there right in the middle of the sky.
As far as I know the moon does not work like that.
In the less than 7 hours between the two sightings the moon should have moved about 4-5 degrees in the sky. It could not have possibly have moved from the day side of the planet to the night side.
I considered the following possibilities
1. I am hallucinating but my friend confirms sighting the moon on both occasions. He still doesn't understand what I am upset about though as the moon is 'still in the same place' straight up in the middle of the sky!!!
2. My grasp of simple astronomy is not as good as I thought it was.
3. Astronomy as it is generally taught/understood is not correct.
4. One of the objects I observed was not the moon.

I called my friend and had him go outside and confirm the moon is indeed hanging there in the middle of the sky tonight. I am not sure how I am going to feel if I observe it there again tomorrow afternoon. Do I smile and say 'hey, I get to see an anomaly first hand' or do I panic and say 'there is a large unknown astronomical body in close proximity to the earth and no one else seems to have noticed'

Could someone please tell me that I am missing something. Tell me that of course you can see the moon in the day sky and the night sky on the same day because.......
I honestly won't mind if someone suggests I am having a 'senior moment' and my mind has temporarily ceased to function rationally and/or my I.Q. has dropped 80 points and so I forgot/overlooked some simple obvious fact.

So am I losing it or is something very very wrong with this picture or am I simply overlooking some obvious answer? Make me feel silly now. I promise I won't mind.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
There is no reason the Moon should not be visible for 7 hours (at least), day or night.

Maybe this will help.
www.timeanddate.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This is normal. Today the moon was seen around noon, and will probably dip below the horizon about 3 or 4am... I am usually out at any given point watching the skies and it's not abnormal to see the moon throughout the day and most of the night as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Do a search here, on you-tube or on google, you will see quite a bit in each place about what you saw. The bad news is, you won't get any answers and you'll become more confused with every post. As for me, I will offer the following.........
1. Something is ABSOLUTELY wrong with the entire Earth, Moon, Sun relationship and there are no reports coming from the scientific community at this time.
2. Literally THOUSANDS of people have seen the evidence and their gut says something just aint right, unfortunately your gut can't type or talk and is soon drowned in a sea of disinformation and lies.
3. I hate to use a Hollywood cliche but I'll do it now just to keep this brief. You can take the one pill and go back to sleep or you can take the other and wake up, the decision is yours alone to make.
Good luck.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

Whether 'something' is wrong with the entire earth, moon, etc... may or may not be, but that isn't the point. The point is it is perfectly natural to see the moon during the day and well into the night.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
So not wanting to rush to judgment a second time today I am going to write my confusion off to either bad drugs, cheap wine, a senior moment or a combination of any of these.
I have come to realize that my measuring it insofar as it's distance from the horizons which caused me to believe it had not moved from it's 'midpoint' between the two sightings was due to the change in my location and my not realizing in one instance i was comparing it to the horizons north and south of me and in the next, those east and west of me.
Yes, I feel silly now but I promised I wouldn't mind and so I want to thank all of you who replied. You have taken a great deal of stress off an old man's ticker and I'm guessing my blood pressure is close to normal again.
Thank you all

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
Do a search here, on you-tube or on google, you will see quite a bit in each place about what you saw. The bad news is, you won't get any answers and you'll become more confused with every post. As for me, I will offer the following.........
1. Something is ABSOLUTELY wrong with the entire Earth, Moon, Sun relationship and there are no reports coming from the scientific community at this time.
2. Literally THOUSANDS of people have seen the evidence and their gut says something just aint right, unfortunately your gut can't type or talk and is soon drowned in a sea of disinformation and lies.
3. I hate to use a Hollywood cliche but I'll do it now just to keep this brief. You can take the one pill and go back to sleep or you can take the other and wake up, the decision is yours alone to make.
Good luck.

What do you base it on
Plenty of info on the net re sun/moon rise and set times, also plenty of software on the net free of charge and also for smartphones and tablets to show what's in the sky at your location and time so why don't you go and learn about what you will see and not what you think you see.

top topics

join