Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Britons denied entry to US after Homeland Security doesn't find 'destroy America' twitter joke fu

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Britons denied entry to US after Homeland Security doesn't find 'destroy America' twitter joke funny

www.peris copepost.com

Leigh Van Bryan, a 26-year-old Irish national and bar manager from Coventry, was denied entry to the US at Los Angeles International Airport after being put on a watch list for tweeting, “Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America?” He tried to explain to the allegedly stone-faced Homeland.....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

“Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America?”

I think someone was simply rick rolled at their airport. What is funny though, is that they could have at any time refused the whole plane from landing but that would have caused some phone to start ringing. So ladies and gentleman i would be careful what you tweet before entering america, you could tweet what an excellent job the TSA is doing and how great the Ford Mustangs are but dont ever , ever tweet anything else...are we clear on that one..!

www.peris copepost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-2-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Oh.. i guess the red carpet was laid front and center with all the bling bling.

“I kept saying to them they had got the wrong meaning from my tweet but they just told me “you’ve really

f*cked up with that tweet, boy,” Van Bryan told The Daily Mail

Hey guys, go on and read the article, its funny and yet extremely disturbing that although it openly and for us now is nothing new and expected that all major law enforcement agencies do monitor what and how you speak of them, but its surprisingly funny to see how easy what you say can seriously put you in a predicament that you cannot and have no other way but to kneel before your master.
edit on 1-2-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

American border patrol are the most ignorant, and arrogant bunch of bullies youll ever meet.
This is rule, man, not exception.....
If it were a personal preference they would almost to a man turn everyone away from their doors.....

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Unless this happened to another British couple who tweeted they were gonna "destroy" America, and by destroy they meant to get wasted (booze), then this is not breaking news and you didn't do a search.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Unless this happened to another British couple who tweeted they were gonna "destroy" America, and by destroy they meant to get wasted (booze), then this is not breaking news and you didn't do a search.

nah its cool, its not breaking new, neither was megaupload, neither was sopa....

Hey..its all linked together....sorry if you dont or refuse to see that.

Not the first time tweeting caused trouble. Elizabeth Flock, writing at The Washington Post’s blogPost, noted that this was by no means the first incident of a tweet getting its tweeter in big trouble with authorities. In 2010, Briton Paul Chambers was arrested on terrorism charges after tweeting “Robin Hood airport is closed. You’ve got a week to get your sh*t together, otherwise I’m blowing the airport sky high!!” He was ultimately found guilty of sending a “grossly offensive” message “by a public communications network”, and twice lost his job because of the incident. Accusations of “thoughtcrime”, a reference to George Orwell’s dystopian classic 1984, are ringing throughout the Twittersphere.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
We all know about the watch lists, and how they are monitoring people's posts all over the net, but this leads me to believe the list is much larger than I previously thought. If the government really wants to stop terrorism, they are doing it wrong. Fail.

They think all this crap is helping, when in fact it is just pissing people off, and has not even helped to any greater degree than standard security would. If this person had a history of posting stuff like this, or if they had flagged him for something else and it was logged under his name, maybe, but after seeing him and having it explained that it was a joke, I suppose they could have realized that they had made a mistake.

But, this is part of the problem as well...people in positions of power who cannot think for themselves. They cannot use their basic human knowledge to understand what had happened in this case. So stupid.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

This Twitter news is more breaking than these tourist. ATS is well aware of them

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Absolutely well said! There seems to be no common sense being applied at all. They just want to show off their power.

There are an awful lot of tweets out there. For DHS to have picked up on this particular piece of jack assery shows they've got some really good software and a lot of drones sifting through all that dreck. I think then making a huge deal out of what clearly was a joke is their way of making their powers known....which I think is counter productive. Shouldn't they let the real terrorists be as deluded about their privacy and anonymity as John Q Public?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
This serves as a good demonstration somewhat of the efficiency of systems they have monitoring the Internet, just need to implement a humor detector in them now...

new topics

top topics

join

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def