It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Capital Punishment? Give'em the Rope to Hang Themselves!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
www.theglobeandmail.com...

Mr. Boisvenu’s comments came as he defended the government’s C-10 crime-fighting omnibus legislation with reporters before a meeting of the Conservative caucus. He said he did not wish to reopen the debate on the death penalty, but added he didn’t mind if murderers end up killing themselves.

“Each assassin should have the right to a rope in his cell to make a decision about his or her life,” he said.

He added he still has questions about the fate of serial killers and those without any hope of rehabilitation in the Canadian jail system.

“I’m against the death penalty, but in horrible cases such as [serial killer Clifford] Olson, can we have a reflection on that issue?” the senator said.

Now here is an interesting take on things.

We won't kill you - but perhaps we could invite you to kill yourself.

Interesting work around to the problem of the worst criminals in the system.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

That is interesting!!

Every penitentiary should provide multiple ropes in each cell. I mean, if they do it themselves…just saying!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Although I'm against the death penalty, I cannot argue with his logic, when you think of some of the crazies we've had up here, C Olsen, R Pickton, P Bernardo....

For the ones that we're completely certain of their guilt, like those named above.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Association of Families of Persons Assassinated or Disappeared (AFPAD)

The Senator is a founder of this organization, and one of his daughters was raped and murderer.

He had to retract the statement.

blogs.vancouversun.com...

The two other parties are going crazy about it. Calling him an a-hole and saying that he should be charged with a crime for saying it.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Is it criminal to WISH death upon someone? Is it criminal to SUGGEST that the MEANS for suicide be provided?

If so then I’m an A-hole too I guess. Hope no one brings charges against my IP address!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I believe that the NDP MP with that was trying to suggest that inciting suicide is a crime.

Someone has followed up on this.

www.cbc.ca...

A Quebec man has filed a criminal complaint against Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu for a comment he believes could incite suicide.

montreal.ctv.ca...

But what the Senator said this week was wrong.

He later apologized but it is impossible to take back words.

It hits a primal nerve when someone suggests that convicted killers should be given rope to hang themselves.

Some might cheer but we cannot lower ourselves to meting out vigilante frontier-style justice.

Meh. I have to admit I not particularly moved by these opinions. I think that the death penalty is used incorrectly in many places that have it. I'm not anti-capital punishment. I just think it needs to be very very distinctly refined.

But allowing a Clifford Olsen the option to kill himself? I gotta admit, that leaving a rope around for him to stare at every day doesn't really make me sad.

new topics

top topics

join