It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey ATS... New here...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Hello everyone. My name is Andrew, I am 27 years old and live in Michigan. I found ATS a few weeks ago and definitely like what I see! Not really sure what I should put in my introduction but I'll give it a shot.

I guess a little about me - I was born and raised in Michigan. I grew up going to Catholic schools from pre-school until the 5th grade when I started attending public schools. I was raised as a Christian and that lasted until I was about 18 years old. At 18, I started questioning the existence of God and really felt like he was too good to be true. So, I guess you could say that I turned into an Atheist. Well, this lasted until I went through some strange things in my life which made me start seeking God again. At 24, I was introduced to Islam by my friend. I really fell in love with it right off the bat. It just hit me harder in a way that Christianity was never able to do. Anyway, at age 26, I started doing some research on Hinduism, and I purchased the Bhagavad Gita and the Essence of the Bhagavad Gita. Man... these books are so deep and very enlightening. I would highly recommend them to anyone really who is searching for God or interested in Hinduism. They are really good books. I think what I love most about Hinduism is it is not about a set of laws that you should live by, rather, it is all about mastering your ego and senses and striving to attain moksha which is liberation of the soul from the cycle of birth and death.

I think anyone could relate to the teachings in these books ( Christians, Muslims, Buddhists ) anyone really. I can definitely say that I have never felt closer to God since reading the Gita and I am definitely a Hindu now. So, I hope to bring a different perspective to ATS. I respect all peoples points of views though ( Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Atheists) - Because, in the end, we are all seeking answers to the Universe and how life on Earth began.

A little about Hinduism now - The Ultimate Supreme Consciousness is known as " Brahman " - he is the source of everything. He is the beginningless and never-ending source of Energy that created the Cosmos and everything that dwells within it. He pervades everything in the Universe and every creature in the Universe depends on him. Basically, in a nutshell, Hinduism is all about breaking away from your ego and attaining a state of moksha ( liberation of the soul from the cycle of birth and death ) which I talked about earlier. Once one has attained moksha he is known as a yogi ( enlightened person ). It says that once a person becomes a yogi that a true yogi only focuses on reuniting with God ( Brahman ) after death. From what I have learned from reading the Essence of the Bhagavad Gita, is that Hindus don't really believe in a " Heaven ", because it says the " Heaven " or " Paradise " in other religions would really just be a place where your " Ego " is in a state of supreme bliss. Again, in Hinduism, the ultimate goal of mankind is to break away from your Ego and reunite with Brahman. So I am not really exactly sure what happens after death and after reuniting with Brahman. Not sure if it is a place that you go to or if your Conscious really just become one with Cosmic Conscious known as Brahman. Again, I am new to Hinduism, so perhaps someone who has been around it for a while could enlighten me on that question.

Well, anyway, sorry for the lengthy introduction. I just wanted to give you people some insight into Hinduism and what it is all about. =)

I am definitely glad to be here though and think I will enjoy my experience at ATS!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
for starters entirely to much information. serioulsy, however welcome to the jungle

keep your private info to yourself, you will understand later

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Awful

Welcome to the Pleasure Zone. May your stay be long and your thirst for knowledge endless. From credible, up through fantastic and right on up to unbelievable. It's all here waiting for you.

Hope to see you around.

If it's any consolation, I went to a couple of Catholic schools in my youth. Silly places they were, but not bad. Maybe I was lucky.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Welcome aboard Andrew... hope you enjoy the stay!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Welcome Awful

To save yourself a lot of searching and even possible future heartache and frustration, please review the below....

For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now.

Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads in the appropriate forums and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Be sure to try out our Ask ATS with the 'topic' search words of your choice. I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from to add your thoughts and opinions too.

AboveTopSecret is much like a theme park with a bunch of rides, so with that said...

Here's a few thoughts before getting onto any one of the 1000's of topical rides at Above Top Secret (ATS), the world's largest Civil & Unique Discussion Community.

* Please check out those links posted above before getting on one of the rides. This will save you a lot of future stress, frustration and possible action by one of your friendly neighborhood Mods!

* Please be sure that you act like an 'civil' adult and are at least this tall to get on any of the rides, (Johnny stretches his arm outward).

* Please remember that some members are very passionate and vocal depending on what ride your all on. You should be mentally fit, stable and have a strong stomach for theories, conjecture, research and evidence presented.

* Please be "open-minded" enough to understand that sometimes the ride isn't always what you might expect. Be aware you also might end up learning something new and 'out-of-the-box' before you get off the ride.

* Please note that at times the ride gets overly-heated and "it's strongly suggested" to get off the ride to regroup one's thoughts before continuing. This will also help guarantee that the ride will move forward without getting derailed or explode into a fiery trashbin.

* Please have fun! But be aware that if you act in an uncivil-like manner, use profanity, intentially spread a hoax and/or get verbally abusive, you will be removed off the ride by a Moderator. This is not only for your safety, but also for those both young and old on the ride with you.

So buckle up, keep your arms within the ride's comfort zone, have fun and "Deny Ignorance"...!

Johnny

new topics

top topics

join