It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creech AFB comm changes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
You may recall this thread about Creech getting cell phone sniffers:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Buried in a fbo.gov request for some tower work is a plan to add pagers to the base. You can look up 38CEGPKE-SS13 on fbo.gov if you want the full document. The relevant line is

Within building 1052, install a new rack adjacent to the relocated LMR racks for a new PTX-150 paging unit (GFE).

Over the years, the government was ripping out their pagers since they are not secure. [The fecal matter hit the fan when the sandwich order of the Clinton entourage was pulled off a pager and published.] The fact they are considering adding a pager after all these years is odd.

A few scenarios come to mind. One is that they are going to use the pager system for remote control. This is one of the few remaining uses of pagers these days. Now I don't think Creech needs to turn on the sprinklers, but who knows. A pager can chirp out the level of a fuel storage tank, temperature of a refrigerator, etc.

Nellis runs an encrypted wifi for aircraft MX. The mechanics can order parts via some sort of terminal. The wifi is easily sniffed outside the base, though like I said, it is encrypted. It is possible Creech doesn't want to set up such a system, but might be using two way pagers for a similar function.

The third scenario (at least that I can think of) is the old fashioned pager secure comm scheme. Used by drug deals and whores, the page goes out and then the individual goes to a landline to conduct their "business." With cell phones jammed, this might be a scenario. Creech has a land mobile radio system, but I assume only base personnel can use it. Creech has a lot of contractors, so the pager system could be for them.

Also buried in the contract is an attempt to get rid of using a passive radiator that is located in the hills near Creech. [You may recall our S-4 base "expert" youtuber that mistook the passive radiator on Papoose Mountain for a UFO. Some people are so stupid they should not be allowed internet access!] It never seemed like a good idea to have a microwave beam over an airbase, since aircraft could interrupt the beam.

a.Conduct a complete RF path study to determine whether an existing microwave on Creech (with an 8-ft dish) can be relocated to the new tower for successful operation between the new tower (using a 4-ft dish) and an existing microwave tower on Angels Peak, approximately 19 miles away. The existing microwave currently bounces RF energy off of a passive reflector to bend around an existing geographical obstruction to reach Angels Peak

Groom, Creech, Nellis and lots of civilian users have gear on Angel Peak. [It also has a view of the airspace of the fictitious S-4 base. I guess the "youth camp" on Angel's Peak got to watch lots of flying saucer tests. (groan)] There are actually two passive radiators near Creech, with one being used for civilian purposes.

The civilian passive radiator, based on FCC records, is located at
36.593879° -115.633015°
on Google Earth. The other radiator, which lacks a FCC license, is at
36.318731° -115.575090°
on Google Earth. Presumably that is the one for Creech.

Hopefully the great unwashed youtubers won't report these locations as UFOs.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I wonder if the changes are in any way related to the article from a few months ago...

Get Hacked, Don’t Tell: Drone Base Didn’t Report Virus

The virus, which records the keystrokes of remote pilots as their drones fly over places like Afghanistan, is now receiving attention at the highest levels; the four-star general who oversees the Air Force’s networks was briefed on the infection this morning. But for weeks, it stayed (you will pardon the expression) below the radar: a local problem that local network administrators were determined to fix on their own.

I dont know if this was covered on ATS, havnt searched for it, although it would be a good topic on its own.

Perhaps the pager system is for some sort of immediate alpha numeric page to those in charge of changes r to funnel the info where it needs to go outside of the cmputer network in case this happens again.

Unlike most big private enterprises, the 24th doesn’t have a centralized system for managing and monitoring its networks. There’s no place at the 24th’s San Antonio headquarters where someone could see all the digital traffic hurtling through the service’s pipes. In fact, most of the major commands within the Air Force don’t have formal agreements to carry the other’s network traffic.

Quick fix to a huge communication breakdown?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

There are routers that put out pager messages. Nothing special about this particular router, other than it was the first search engine hit.

Optional electronic customer notifications - e-mail / pager / text messaging

www.paetec.com...

So I'll salute you for creating scenario #4.

Not well known, but those Martha Stewart type ankle bracelet (house arrest) receivers have a pager capability should they get disconnected from the phone line. Probably not applicable to Creech, but it is one of the remaining pager uses. Also some burglar alarms have a page interface. Creech could alarm a remote gate.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The third scenario (at least that I can think of) is the old fashioned pager secure comm scheme. Used by drug deals and whores, the page goes out and then the individual goes to a landline to conduct their "business." With cell phones jammed, this might be a scenario. Creech has a land mobile radio system, but I assume only base personnel can use it. Creech has a lot of contractors, so the pager system could be for them.

Gariac... you may have called it regarding contractors... I have never worked at Area 51, but the company I worked for many years performed lots of work at various military bases throughout the midwest.

I have seen various forms for communications used by contractors, but most are not allowed and you can only turn cell phones on when requested. Possibly you get paged, turn on your cell phone or drive to a meeting point? usually have a trailer with a landline furnished by the base, or occasionally you are allowed to use a cell if announced and there isn't currently runway activity...

Just my WAG as I have no idea about Area 51...

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I found this recent video on youtube of Predator/Reaper flight on youtube. If you watch carefully, about 37 seconds into the video you can see the new transmitter tower.

top topics

join