It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano Drones Flying in Formation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This is pretty freakin cool! I'd love to have a small squadron of these

As pointed out by SaturnFX, these are not actually nano in size, but they are very small quad rotor drones. The developers called them Nano so I called them what they did. Sorry about any confusion.

Watch the figure eight that these things can do!

Just imagine the battle field potential of these little buggers. Seek and destroy. Explosive impact scenario anyone?
edit on 1-2-2012 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Forgot that stupid battlefield. Sadly this is that the battlefield is why most of technology exists. To Kill Humans.

This is a great step towards flying vehicles and auto control considering that most people dont have the capabilities to handle high speed travel let alone flight controls. Cars in the future will be linked together like these drones.
edit on 1-2-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

The military usage of these drones would be extremely beneficial for whoever was in control of them for spying or neutralization of individual targets.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Forgot that stupid battlefield./

This is a great step towards flying vehicles and auto control considering that most people dont have the capabilities to handle high speed travel let alone flight controls. Cars in the future will be linked together like these drones.

I wish forgetting the battlefield was that easy. While I do hope this can be integrated for the good of society, I am under no illusion as to what they will more than likely end up being used for.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
their 3 minute battery life and a 3 mph wind would hardly make them an effective weapon of mass destruction.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
their 3 minute battery life and a 3 mph wind would hardly make them an effective weapon of mass destruction.

Seeing as this tech is in development stage, I would hazard to guess that battery life and stability will be improved as the tech is improved.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JulioSanteria

Once these things are perfected, a single soldier could launch a squadron of them from his backpack and control them with a small laptop.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Scale it up about a 80 times and put jet turbines on it. Now we are talking!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Scale it up about a 80 times and put jet turbines on it. Now we are talking!

I think those are called Helicopters

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Holy crap that's pretty creapy when they went through the window...I'm sure these things have some huge potential but outdoors with wind changes not sure how they would be able to compensate at this point...but wow

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco

Holy crap that's pretty creapy when they went through the window...I'm sure these things have some huge potential but outdoors with wind changes not sure how they would be able to compensate at this point...but wow

First off...Your sig is from my favorite movie ever

I'd imagine that they will be able to refine the software used to guide these things to allow them to adapt to a mild wind. The great thing about a quad rotor set up is the innate stability factor. Each of the rotors will eventually be able to spin at different RPMs to compensate for a breeze, though the weight will certainly be a limiting factor as to just how much the quad drones are able to compensate.

Also, as is, these things would be great for structural observance or clearing.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Bah, got excited for a second.

Nano...not even remotely close to nano sized. Why can't people call things what they are..like saying atomic drones...nope, not atomic.

nano is a specific measurement
1 millimeter = 1 million nanometers

They need to change the name of this toy helicopter

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Bah, got excited for a second.

Nano...not even remotely close to nano sized. Why can't people call things what they are..like saying atomic drones...nope, not atomic.

nano is a specific measurement
1 millimeter = 1 million nanometers

They need to change the name of this toy helicopter

Just calling them what they called them FX.

I edited the op to reflect that they are not actually nano in size.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Way too cool.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I swear I hope I see these at HobbytownUSA!

I know there are larger ones but this would be cool to play with in the livingroom or the basement.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
this is exactly how the use of nano bots are to be used. No launch pad, simply throw them up and view via head cam. * Special forces next best thing to an instant kill in the not so distant future.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Perfection, can't see them being anything other then recon drones though, can't imagine any damaging rounds being fired from these things. Maybe they'll be good for laser pointed weaponry? Who knows.

I could hazard a guess there speed would be incredibly slow also due to there size.

And in reply to people doubting there ability in the wind, I'm sure if there built to military level they have blades which compensate for wind resistance, maybe using some sort of horizon guideline software which changes the blades angle.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Thats pretty cool,DCL!!

My son and I would love to have a fleet of those to buzz around.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
WOW now all they gotta do is make them silent. These are crazy kewl but I do have one question, can they be operated without having to see them physically like real military drones?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Youre welcome Kdog. Im more of a Slash RC kind of guy, but yeah, I would love to have a few of these myself. I had some of those 3 inch heli's a few years back and flew them around till I bashed them to death lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join