It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Onofre Nuclear Plant Closed After Radiation Leak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The San Onofre plant is north of San Diego California.

Official say no danger to the public was ever present.

They say radioactive gas leaked inside one of the buildings and the plant was closed as a precaution only.

Feb 1, 2012 6:20pm -- ABC news

The spokesman said the radiation levels were “barely measurable,” but the plant was shut down as a precaution.

“At no point were the public or our workers in any danger,” Southern California Edison spokesman Gil Alexander told ABC News.

Officials say the radiation leak likely occurred in the steam generator tubes of San Onofre’s reactor #3. The steam system, which is supposed to be shielded from exposure to radiation, was replaced in December 2010. Alexander said plant officials will be conducting an investigation into why the new steam tubes leaked.

However, in the case of San Onofre, it’s unlikely the leak had anything to do with seismic safety and was probably just faulty equipment.

Let's hope this was just a small incident.

Any earthquake activity around there today ?

ABC News visited San Onofre the day the Fukushima Daiichi plant in Japan melted down. At the time, plant officials were eager to reassure the public that the same thing could not happen on the California coast.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Why does it say at the very tip top abc news Feb 1st 2012 6:22 pm its not even 6 in cali yet lol

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I mean 6:20
sorry dumb question anyway

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

2. San Onofre Location: San Clemente, CA (45 miles southeast of Long Beach, CA) Reactors: 2 Electrical Output (megawatts): Unit 2: 1070; Unit 3: 1080 Year Operating License Issued: Unit 2: 1982; Unit 3: 1982 Population within 50 Miles: 9,468,825 Relative Safety Rating: middle third Risk of Natural Disasters: Likelihood of Earthquake (scale 0-6): 4 Expected Number of Hurricanes in Next Century: 0 Miles to Potentially Active Volcano: approx. 225 miles Significant Tornadoes (1921-1995): 0 to 5

Rated 4 out of 6 for earthquake risk...yet it seems to be located right near the San Andreas fault from the maps I can find.

San diego and south has been pretty active.

Anyone else have any info?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by andyr1112
Why does it say at the very tip top abc news Feb 1st 2012 6:22 pm its not even 6 in cali yet lol

I think some articles use Eastern Time.

3 hour difference from the West Coast.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I live 40 miles SE of San Onofre nuclear Plant. I think there's a lot of politics and money being played here and raising media concerns to increase the fear level to get more spending. Read this San Diego reader and look at some of the key players overlooking San Onofre

San Diego Reader

a4nrd

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Steam generator leaks used to be a lot more common. The ones at San Onofre had just been replaced. I wonder why they leaked.

edit:

Whenever generators are new or very old, leaks can occur, and engineers know to be alert for the problem, said David Lochbaum, director of the Nuclear Safety Project for the Union of Concerned Scientists.
Lochbaum said that as long as sensors detected the problem and the operators were prepared, "it's not the fault of [owner] Southern California Edison. It just happens" with new generators as they are being broken in.
Edison announced the "precautionary shutdown" Tuesday evening because "sensors installed for this purpose detected a possible leak in one of the unit's steam generator tubes."

voiceofoc.org...

edit on 2/2/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit2:

more information here:

www.nrc.gov...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I also live too close to this plant. More details are coming from www.cbs8.com but it doesn't sound good.

Also concerning was that "many" tubes that carry pressurized radioactive water were damaged, according to a spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The leak was initially estimated at a rate of 85 gallons a day — an amount about half of what would require the plant to shut down. Alexander said the rate of the leak was "much less," but did not provide a figure.

I really hope it is shut down for good soon.
edit on 2-2-2012 by owlwoman because: format

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I also live too close to this plant. More details are coming from www.cbs8.com but it doesn't sound good.

A steam generator tube leak is not a big issue, and is something that occasionally occurs with very old or new (in this case new) steam generators.

I really hope it is shut down for good soon.

Have fun importing power (and exporting your money) from other states.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

To add, a steam generator leak is not a big issue, but if it is a complete rupture and the operator doesn't take the correct actions or there are other problems, it could lead to a severe accident. But a large rupture didn't happen and the operator did take the correct actions.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Dude, really????
I see where you stand on the issue, but I just don't want to leave the world a messed up place. You of see, some
of us have kids that eat the food and drink the water around here. Hang on a sec, got to turn on the generator....

top topics

join