It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 of the oldest trees from around the world.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Thanks for posting !!
We often forget the "important" things and concentrate only on ourself (probably the biggest human fault)
Its refreshing to read of some of natures wonders, those trees will probably outlast the entire period of human "civilization".

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I like this post nature is beautiful.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This is awesome! Thank you for sharing OP, its always nice to see something in this world that is at least semi-permanent.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]I find it sad that there is a need to protect the trees from vandals. I have never understood vandalism and have never gotten why people feel the need to do it.

There is a such a lack of respect in the world these days. Does that statement make me sound old? Oh well (:

S&F

In my town there is a famous tree on the tallest mountain in the area and it's a huge pine that is the only tree at the very peak of the mountain and you can see this tree from anywhere in town..

...so needless to say some people tried to chop it down, thankfully they were either too unprepared or lazy to get the job done, the axe marks only go about 1/3 of the way through the tree.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Oh the stories these trees could tell... I bet they could fill us in on a thing or two.

It's simply awe inspiring how they've managed to survive thousands of years.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
A while ago I read about this sea plant that was estimated to be 10.000 years old. Plants rule

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by QueenofWeird

Looks like its another clonal-type plant where the root system has been around forever and keeps producing new plants.

Seagrass ‘tens of thousands of years old’

Meadows of seagrass found in the Mediterranean Sea are likely to be thousands of years old, a study shows.

Researchers found genetically identical samples of Posidonia oceanica up to 15km apart, which suggested that the species was extremely long-lived.

The seagrass is "partially clonal", explained co-author Sophie Arnaud-Haond from the French Research Institute for the exploration of the Sea (Ifremer).

"This means they can reproduce sexually through flowering and recombination of male and female genomes, or clonally through the exact replication of the genome of an individual forming a new plant module through clonal growth," she told BBC Nature.

Asexual reproduction, such as cloning, means an individual organism's genetic identity is preserved and passed on from generation to generation, whereas the offspring of sexual organisms is made up of genetic material from both parents.

BBC

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Thanks

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

to bad we cant communicate with trees oh the true history we could learn

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]I find it sad that there is a need to protect the trees from vandals. I have never understood vandalism and have never gotten why people feel the need to do it.

There is a such a lack of respect in the world these days. Does that statement make me sound old? Oh well (:

S&F

Vandalism is not just graffiti and beer bottles. If you were there wouldnt you like to take just a little chip or branch to take home and show your friends that you have a piece of one of the oldest trees in the world?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

...not old. Just resectful, which isn't a bad thing at all. I respect your respect; and so it goes, or it should.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i'm in awe, although as a guitar maker i can't help but wonder what a acoustic instrument made from the wood of one of these trees would sound like, but i digress these trees are really cool, thanks OP really good to see a post with a positive theme

edit on 6/2/2012 by josephamccoy because: added the word acoustic

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

F&S Great post and terrific photos. It's really hard to conceive a tree living as long as some of them do. A few years back I visited the Muir Woods in CA. and was completely blown away when I first laid eyes on the giant redwoods.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw in a plug for an old tree located just a few miles from where I live. It's called "Big Tree" and it's located in S. Texas just north of Rockport. It's is estimated to be at least 1000 yrs. old, while other estimates put it at 2000 yrs. old. We are right on the gulf coast which means that this tree has survived countless hurricanes, some say as many as 50. Here's a pic;

Here's some additional info from Wiki;

en.wikipedia.org...

The "Big Tree" is one of the most famous live oaks in the world. It was named Texas State Champion Coastal Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) in 1969. It is thought to be one of the largest in the United States.

The Texas Forest Service estimates the tree to be over 1,000 years old, other recent estimates place it nearer to 2,000 years old. The Big Tree is a charter member of the Live Oak Society of America, and has been the subject of one of Ripley's "Believe It or Not" cartoons.
The Big Tree is Texas' largest and quite possibly oldest Live Oak tree and is found on the Lamar Peninsula of Aransas County in the Goose Island State Park. It possesses a circumference of over 35 feet, is more than 45 feet tall and has a crown spread of 90 feet. Some call it the "Largest Live Oak in the World, in Rockport, Texas."[4]

It's not one of the 6 oldest but she a beauty just the same.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Amazing what can come out of a seed in the ground

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I've been to Angel Oak a few times. Very impressive, especially in person.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join