It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 of the oldest trees from around the world.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]I find it sad that there is a need to protect the trees from vandals. I have never understood vandalism and have never gotten why people feel the need to do it.

There is a such a lack of respect in the world these days. Does that statement make me sound old? Oh well (:

S&F

I know what you mean, I live near a school and it had closed down half of the place due to financial issues. Was good for us as it meant we had a great place to go walking with the kids, play in the fields and enjoy an amazing wide view of the playing fields and beyond.

One of the best bits was an approach to this field, it was a path lined with trees, about 10+ years old, quite tall spread out about 20 feet apart, along the length of the a path that kind of sank down a bit and rose up again, good 1000 yards distance.

Next to this path was the remains of the old school playing field and the actual school (which incidently got burnt down by vandals in the past), or what was left of it. This whole stretch of land had been sold to developers who were promptly looking to build more houses which didn't seem so bad.

What came as a shock was how they cut down all of those trees along the front, for no reason other than visibility for the homes regardless of the fact that the local residents were absolutely fuming about not being told that his was happening.

That is another form of vandalism, state sanctioned.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

I feel this vibration level, but I interpret it as energy.

There is evidence that trees can communicate:

Mycorrhizal Networks

Do Trees Talk?

Do Trees Communicate for Mutual Defense?

Trees Able to Communicate and Warn Each Other of Impending Danger

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

4. Zoroastrian Sarv (Iran) 4000 years old

The Zoroastrian Sarv, a tree in central Iran, is an Iranian National Monument. The 4,000-year-old cypress took root right about the time ancient people in Central Asia were inventing wheels with spokes, and over the course of its long life, witnessed the advent of modern human civilization.

This 4,000 year old terrorist islamic tree belongs to a regime that is trying to acquire nuclear weapons.

It must be uprooted AT ONCE... for the sake of peace and freedom .

Just kidding.

Lovely thread. Perhaps, I need to hang out in this part of ATS more often.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
In Charleston we have this one, reported to be 1400 to 1500 years old. Not the oldest tree by far but very beautiful. When you go and visit it, there is a very serene, peaceful and calm feeling that surrounds the area.
It's called the Angel Oak. It's very hard to judge the size of this tree but it is huge.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

That's a lovely tree, I linked the page for the Angel Oak in my reply at the end of page 2 of this thread(I hate having the last post on a page, I know they get overlooked more often than other posts)and hope to be able to visit it in the future.

Anyone who has been in ther presence of an old growth tree can get a sense of antiquity if one is open to such. It's the heatless planners of the world who sit in offices and do not go out to experience the marvel of nature, especially these ancient trees.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This one made it 3,500 years (give or take) before it was taken by fire a few weeks ago...

Bald Cypress in Florida...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
This one made it 3,500 years (give or take) before it was taken by fire a few weeks ago...

Bald Cypress in Florida...

Mentioned "The Senator" in my OP. Sad story.

Looking at it this morning, I realized I messed up when I said it happened earlier this month; I posted it on Feb 1st. It actually happened earlier LAST month.

ETA: I checked to see where the oldest tree in my neck of the woods (pun intended) was located. Looks like its a 584 year old hemlock in Tionesta, PA.

Oldest

The oldest tree on record was specimen O39021, collected near Tionesta, Pennsylvania by Ed Cook in 1978. The oldest ring on this sample was crossdated to 1425, making it at least 554 years old (NCDC 2006). The same site had two other trees with over 500 years of record.

Conifers.org

Just a baby compared to all the others.

This is a pic of one of the biggest Sycamore trees in PA.

Big Tree Registry
Of course the damn site doesn't say where to find it.

edit on 2/2/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
They are the lungs of our planet...

This is actually incorrect, trees, although exceedingly important for a variety of other reasons, make up a minority of the oxygen production on this planet. Blue-Green Algae is the prime photosynthetic organism. Considering 70% of our planet is covered by water, and despite our best efforts to do so, the oceans remain relatively untouched by the human hand, so even if the amazon rain forest was at it's original status, it would still be dwarfed by the miracle that is Cyanobacteria. We could rape all of our forests and turn the land masses to glass, but there would still be bacteria in 1 million years. Biology is so much fun.

ETA: I would say trees are one the ligaments of earth, holding all the good stuff together.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Cilvanus because: Unfinished Post

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

I don't like it that "Christmas trees" are grown only to be cut down and then left to die, to celebrate something that amounts to the eternal tree of life itself, it's absurd and stupid, a tradition which needs to be cancelled imho.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Unbelievable , glad I'm not a tree.. living for almost ten thousand years, not able to walk,speak,and see..respect for the tree. We should give someone that punishment who did something terrible, turn him into a tree and let him live for more the ten thousand years...

kix

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
You're missing this one:

EL ARBOL DEL TULE

en.wikipedia.org...Árbol_del_Tule

pic or it did not happen LOL

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
great!" thank you

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
2000 year old juniper bonsai..
Claimed to be the oldest bonsai in the world.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Thank you so much for the post.

Definitely my favourite side of ATS

edit on 2-2-2012 by azulejo because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
To the OP "I saw that" get it saw, tree umm......... thank you Ill be here all week

If the old ones could talk Im purdy sure they would look down on us and say "Dumb As$es"

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cilvanus

You're right, I'll give you Cyanobacteria as the major contributor of atmospheric oxygen.

Miniscule though The amount may be, there's something to be said for walking out in to a stand of trees at dusk and basking in he serenity of nature. And if you have a centurion or older tree to share that with, the moment is etched a bit deeper into one's being.

I can't believe I forgot to mention your avatar!

Rush so rocks!
edit on 2-2-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: 2112

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
When you study the work of Dr. Backster, (the man who invented the polygraph test) you may see the trees a bit differently...

This is my favorite thread in a very long time.

Trees have an amazing vibe, the older the more powerful.

Science proves it, if you look in the right direction.

Star and flag OP!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
thank you for this post.

most people forget that most of the land was covered with trees.
there is even records of the church been told off for chopping trees down.

all the war ships of old came from trees.
the sad thing is. all the land is Still left bear!
it would be so easy to plant some trees each year.
but that may clean the planet up. and we cannot have that.

it would make big changes.
the air would be cleaned up.
the whether patterns would change.
and a LOT of life would come back to the land.

if not for plants and trees man would not be here.
the plants give us air to breath.
if you can get a group to plant trees started.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What a nice thread. Thank you! Just what I needed before going off to bed. Beautiful.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

very interesting thread....the huon pine in tasmania are ancient but i also find the wollemia stand found in 1996 not far from sydney amazing ....while not the oldest tree its genus does date back to the jurassic peroid

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join