It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Age Reaches Europe

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by facchino
reply to post by Anim8tr

Well this time last year in the UK it was -10, so far I've only seen -1
Your title of "ice age reaches Europe" is just downright false and misleading - what will you say when this cold snap goes, spring and then summer happens and this "ice age" you talk of is a distant memory!!

-12 tomorrow.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anything to do with this?

See the above link for more info.

Just speculating.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by facchino

Your spot on !
I'm disabled and as such get 'cold weather' payments from govt when the temp is below 0 for a certain amount of average time ?
This time last year I had, had 4 payments ! This year NONE !

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
UPDATE

The Ice Age in Europe continues. While in Germany the temperatures fell to a new all-time low on sunday morning, Poland reported nine more deaths caused by the cold weather. Overall, since eleven days the cold front killed more than 360 people in Europe.

Now major rivers and canals in Central Europe are starting to turn impassable by ship, due to the thick ice.

The weather service predicted more snow storms for the coming week.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Anim8tr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anim8tr
While in Germany the temperatures fell to a new all-time low on sunday morning,

Not true, the temperatures we have now are far from the all-time lowest temperatures in Germany. The lowest recorded temperature in Germany was in 1929, that year on the 12th February they recorded -37.8°C in Huell (that's in Pfaffenhofen, Bavaria) and were about 20°C from that away. Last night we had -19° C here, at the day it was -12° C. The lowest temperature for Munich was for example -30,5°C, recorded on 21st January 1942.
People should stop going crazy. Yes, it's very cold but it's nothing "extreme" and it's no Ice Age. You people should talk to your parents. I did and my parents told me stories about some Winters decades ago that were on the same level or even colder then what he have now.

And do some research. For example about the Winter 1928/1929 (as above mentioned) which was the coldest in europe of all time, -40° in Poland, Venice completely frozen over.
What we have here is nothing, so stop being sensationalistic about it and move along fear mongerers, there's no Ice Age and no records.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl

How the hell does anything in your post equate to an ice age?

If you are able to count these facts together you might be able to see why this equates to an ice age.

- Record minus temperatures (not only in europe but also in other parts of the world -search ATS-)

Happens every year. It's called winter.

- People freezing to death in relatively high numbers.

- Public transportation breaking down due to blocked and icy roads.

- Unusual harsh cold front after a relatively warm winter period.

Doesn't happen every year. The point being that 2/3rds of this winter have been relatively mild - or even unusually mild.

Nonetheless this does not mean we are in a new greenhouse era. It's actually just ........ weather.

(And, although not Europe, here in the UK the weathe has been very unexceptional - although it was nice to see snow here on Saturday night for the first time since December 2010.)

edit on 6-2-2012 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

If you are able to count these facts together you might be able to see why this equates to an ice age.

- Record minus temperatures (not only in europe but also in other parts of the world -search ATS-)
- People freezing to death in relatively high numbers.
- Public transportation breaking down due to blocked and icy roads.
- Unusual harsh cold front after a relatively warm winter period.

I think you are missing the point. The point being that if it continues and continues we may be looking at the start of an 'ice age'. Unless and until it gets to that stage, it's just a very harsh winter!

edit on 6-2-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

The Ice Age in Europe continues.

Do you actually have any idea what constitutes an 'ice age'?
Clue - you need the 'age' component for a start.
I must be in a good mood because I've given you a little help by looking it up for you!
encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com...
edit on 6-2-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join