It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US reduces expenses by using depleted uranium in wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
According to a report from PressTV....citing Lawrence Davidson, professor at West Chester University.

The Professor says depleted uranium is cheap to produce !!

The article states that the U.S. has used the stuff in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Wed Feb 1, 2012 3:11PM GMT -- PressTV

"It's cheap. It's cheap and plentiful. Depleted uranium is a by-product of uranium enrichment after a certain percent," Lawrence Davidson, professor at West Chester University, told Press TV.

The US government has used depleted uranium arms on humans in its two recent wars, at least 1,000 tons in the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan and 2,400 tons in the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

The article says human rights commissions have prohibited the use of depleted uranium on humans.
(no specific commissions were mentioned however !)

Human rights commissions have prohibited the use of depleted uranium on humans -- including during military conflicts -- because it causes congenital deformities and cancer.

Davidson explained that the weapons have certain qualities that make Washington use them for military purposes.

Lawrence Davidson, professor at West Chester University

PressTV article and video TV report:
The United States is using depleted uranium in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan because the deadly weapons are inexpensive and abundant, a professor tells Press TV.

Are these claims Genuine ??

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It makes a whole lot of sense. With all the nukes we built we must have refined a hell of a lot of uranium. This leaves a lot of U-238 laying around. If life gives you depleted uranium, turn it into bullets and shells and kill the # out of people

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
According to a report from PressTV....citing Lawrence Davidson, professor at West Chester University.

The Professor says depleted uranium is cheap to produce !!

The article states that the U.S. has used the stuff in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Are these claims Genuine ??

Yes, they are genuine.

The US uses depleted uranium as anti-armor munitions... Ex: anti tank rounds.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Have you seen the mutations and damages it causes? Many people in Iraq are victim to mutations and diseases, even thought hey were never shot directly.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Of course many say the main reason for any weapon is to kill or destroy.

DU apparently enhances the effects.

The argument and moral issue could be the lingering after-effects that would cause injury long after the initial attack to people who were not targets or even involved to begin with.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

2. BACKGROUND

a. DU is natural uranium left over after most of the U-235 isotope has been removed, such as
that used as fuel in nuclear power plants. DU possesses about 60 percent of the radioactivity of
natural uranium and is a radiation hazard primarily if internalized, such as in shrapnel,
contaminated wounds, and inhalation. In addition to its radioactivity, DU has some chemical
toxicity related to being a heavy metal (similar to lead).

b. Testing of DU for possible military use began in the early 1960’s and was first used by the
United States military in projectiles and armor for tanks during the Gulf War, which began in
1990, and continues to the present (see Title 38 United States Code (U.S.C.) § 101(33)). DU has
also been used in other conflicts, such as OIF and Bosnia. Service personnel who may have had
potential inhalation exposure to DU include those on, in, or near vehicles hit with "friendly fire;"
rescuers entering burning vehicles; individuals near fires involving DU munitions; individuals
salvaging damaged vehicles; and those near burning vehicles.

c. The medical effects of DU exposure are continuing to be evaluated. A group of GW
veterans with retained DU fragments, or DU-contaminated wounds, is being followed at a
special DU Program at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center, Baltimore,
MD. While no clinically significant adverse effects of DU have been evident to date in this
group, some abnormalities have been detected on specialized testing. NOTE: As of year 2003,
the Baltimore DU Follow-up Program has seen 70 veterans.

d. The Baltimore DU Follow-up Program has determined that, for GW friendly-fire victims,
a 24-hour urine determination for uranium is a more sensitive screening test for DU than wholebody
counting.
Department of Veteran Affairs - DEPLETED URANIUM CHECKLIST AND GUIDELINES YOU WILL NEVER SEE IN COMBAT OR AFTER COMBAT OR AT ANY TIME IN YOUR MILITARY CAREER

I never saw this document after being hit with friendly fire in a vehicle, IED blasts, firing the rounds on ranges and in combat, or any other time for that matter.

I was never urine tested 24 hours after the events, nor was I ever tested for TBI related injuries at any time after the events.

I wasn't tested for anything until after I got out of the military and now I have cirrhosis, among other illnesses. The VA doesn't help veterans and this is our AGENT ORANGE.

Depleted Uranium was deemed a weapon of last resort well before the 60's by government think tanks.

It was only supposed to be a weapon of last resort because it was the perfect weapon.

You fire it, and it kills the enemy behind plate armor, and then a few decades later it kills YOU TOO.

If you are in the military, good luck with the gov keeping their end of the bargain when you start getting sick, take it from me.

Thanks for serving.
edit on 2012/2/1 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
i can kind of understand...

although its horrible,

there piles of DU lying about right?

choices are spend a ton of cash in making it safe (which usually means burying it deep)

or making it into weapons and buring it into Veichles, bunkers, essentially anything you need really really dead...

In the current economic climate it is almost certainley the more affordable option to use it than dispose of it.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
It doesn't surprise me one bit.

While in Iraq, we had some DU in 25mm. Used it in our Brads, the du al feed is impressive when loading it with the HE and AP shells.

I saw it around, and have handled it as well. The manual which mentions handling DU, says wear gloves while handling and to wash hands after.
many didn't bother with either. I didn't, waste of time.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister
i can kind of understand...

although its horrible,

there piles of DU lying about right?

choices are spend a ton of cash in making it safe (which usually means burying it deep)

or making it into weapons and buring it into Veichles, bunkers, essentially anything you need really really dead...

In the current economic climate it is almost certainley the more affordable option to use it than dispose of it.

Yes there are piles lying about. enough to power the US for 3000 years.
intellectualventureslab.com...
homepage.mac.com...
seekerblog.com...

There are a few things you should know like Russia and China have also made many DU weapons and have them in there stockpiles.
But the Anti DU people are very careful about never telling the public about this fact.

WHY??????
en.wikipedia.org...

Even japan has 10,000 tons of DU weapons.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I understand they can use it as fuel, by irradiating it with slow-moving neutrons. Also, the price of uranium has increased tenfold, so the metal in inventory is worth some $10,000,000,000 (10 billion).

new topics

top topics

join