It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would It Kill Some Of You To Be NICE For Once??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Well said. I was just thinking this to myself while on ATS tonight.. and I don't recall ever having thought it before. I can sympathize with discussions getting 'heated'.. but some of the comments I've seen recently are just mean for the sake of being mean. No purpose served, no justification for the rudeness.

Some of ya'll need either a nap or a snack

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

i agree tbh...its all the fly remarks that really annoy me and people thinking they are generally "better" than everyone else.

i joined because of the inteliigent debates and nice people, when i finally joined it was kinda like a big let down, and i have too ranted out of angre (proabably ended up being rude myself - saying things i dont want to say just beacuase im angry ) at peoples rudeness and how they often jump on things then that derails the thread.

being rude = more angry people /rude people

i for one am goin to stop ranting and becoming angry, if someone makes me angry then im goin to ignore their post and concentrate on people that want to add to the debate rather than cause a war / start derailing / start attacking a poster.

hope your rant made you feel better, it certainly did after mine, even if i felt a little silly after

lets spread the love

To anyone reading this i want you to HAVE A LOVELY DAY! x

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Good question but yes, I believe I would die.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I totally agree OP! I love this site but do not like some of the people's attitudes on here sometime.

To create a thread or enter a thread for that matter and talk to others in a degrading manner is simply immature.

Having a two sided conversation with someone of opposite view points can be frustrating at times, but one can definitely speak/type with respect of the other view point. To go on a rage and begin name calling is again...immature.

I have called people out on it and been asked if I was the ATS police.
Calling someone out on their behavior to me is essential because I do wonder...do they not see what they just wrote? How can you debate a subject when name calling? YOU CAN"T! It just don't work. It becomes an argument unless someone bails out of the thread and that is what I suggest. Just bail out! Time is wasted on immaturity when it could be spent in a worth while discussion/debate.

Just my opinion, of course.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Having a two sided conversation with someone of opposite view points can be frustrating at times, but one can definitely speak/type with respect of the other view point. To go on a rage and begin name calling is again...immature.

I agree, and as op and posters stated, the chemtrail threads are a good example of how not to discuss this stuff.

But, you've got to keep something in mind, calling people shills because they disagree with your theory doesn't help the situation, in fact, it's usually what causes the problem to begin with.

Take any of my posts in those threads. I always clearly explain that I fell for this myself until I researched it, and always explain my issue with the theory with as scientific basis, something most chemtrail believers refuse to do. Then I'm called a shill and on a payroll. This does nothing to make me want to explain myself any clearer.

So yes, take the OPs words closely, if you can't put forth your opinion or debate without being a rude prick, just don't.

But for the sake of the site and it's flow, please don't come around all high and mighty demanding that people who don't believe stay out of your threads, this is the opposite of denying ignorance. If no one challeneges your theory, how do you expect to adapt it or prove it?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I agree. But I find that the more I participate in discussions here and the more I mature, the less likely I am to even pay posts like that any attention. True, if you're involved in a discussion that you're passionate about you sometimes can't avoid the hateful people, but that doesn't mean you have to stoop to their level. Keep your positive attitude about you and keep moving forward with it all. I've learned quite a bit about that method from a certain person in the past 2 months and it's helped me deal with other issues in my life. I hope she knows that.

We all have our days though. Even though we try not to, sometimes we let our emotions get the best of us and say things we regret later. I for one will always come back later and apologize for that kind of behaviour because I don't want to be seen in that kind of light. That's the good thing, for me at least, with trying to get my point across on the internet versus saying it in person. When you're writing something you can take more time to think out what you're going to say first, and then edit what was written if you need to. Whereas when you say something, it's said. I can think things out all I want, but sometimes what I feel isn't what's conveyed with my spoken words. That's why I don't talk a lot to people concerning things I'm passionate about. I'll write about it instead. I just wanted to make sure that's clear.

And that's why I don't really pay the negative people here any mind because, in my book at least, they don't have any excuse for coming across as mean and hateful. They're doing it for the sake of it. And if you've been here for as long as I and a host of other members have, you can pick them out of the crowd pretty quickly versus the people who are just having a bad day. And if there's any one thing I need in my life right now, it's nice, understanding people. She knows who she is.

Thank you for posting this OP, it was very timely.

And remember always.......DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

reply to post by Chadwickus

Just for the sake of curiosity, what would you call someone who spends all their time on this board doing nothing more than debunking ideas that do not fit in with "government" ideas at this time and on multiple subjects while appearing to be an expert on all subjects commented on?
Within this↑ comment, you are focusing more on the possibility that the 'debunker' may have an ulterior motive, instead of just looking at the facts.

Basically, you're attempting to get others to look off to the right, or off to the left, so that they will hopefully not notice what is directly in front of them.

[color=FFE26E]Debunk the debunker, instead of debunking the facts.
It is a method that has been used numerous times, over and over again, because it often works.

[color=D6FFE1]What does it mean to 'debunk'?
Simple terms ≈ Prove that it is [color=A88A5D]BS.

[color=D6FFE1]If it has in fact been proven to be [color=A88A5D]BS, [color=D6FFE1]then it matters not what the reason was, for the person whom proved it.

[color=A88A5D]BS [color=D6FFE1]is still [color=A88A5D]BS, [color=D6FFE1]regardless of who proves it.

edit on 2/2/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I wish I could give you a thousand stars. I posted a rant a couple of weeks ago about the same issue and was glad to see the T&C post come back up. Hopefully things will get better but I doubt it. Anyway it's great to see others like myself who truely enjoy debating and laughing with like minded individuals

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Unfortunately on some of the more "controversial" topics, there is little proof to be found. Just because there is nothing to be found in unclassified documents does not make it necessarily untrue. Do you have proof of chemtrails? There is proof of cloud seeding and possibly a few other related topics but pure chemtrails? No.

So how would you suggest we debunk something with no publicly available truth?

The trouble is, some of these debunkers don't just state an opinion and leave it at that, they reply to page after page of everyones comments which in effect completely changes the threads focus and direction, and often not for the better .

ETA As for debunking the debunkers, the one I am thinking of has been on here less time than me (I am unemployed and have many hours to spare) yet has managed to ratchet up an amazing 2500+ posts. That to me would indicate a full-time paid job of posting on ATS and deliberately trying to sound like an all-knowing expert. 2500 posts in 4 months? That is going some....
edit on 2/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
If people were required to use there real name this wouldn't happen. Sadly alot of people out there change mentality from real life to there virtual self. See it all the time, primarily in online video game world's like world of warcraft and other MMO's it's easiest to spot. But I see it here too. Then again this is a conspiracy site and asking people to use there real names would be a little much. No one wants to sully there name especially on a federal level. Personaly I use my first name and birth year as my screen name on most sites. I try to conduct myself on the web just like I do in real life. I don't promote any of this kind of drama in real life or on the net, but have fallen for it here. Just yesterday I did make a comment I sort of regreted.

But in regards to what the OP said it has become common practice here to call people out on just about everything. I agree it's childish and there is really no need for it here. I like to think this is one of the smartest online communities out there and it saddens me to see very intelligent people acting like a bunch of under developed primates. A heated debate is great but name calling and questioning someones intelligence just because they see things differently is very immature to say the least.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

But for the sake of the site and it's flow, please don't come around all high and mighty demanding that people who don't believe stay out of your threads, this is the opposite of denying ignorance. If no one challeneges your theory, how do you expect to adapt it or prove it?
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I don't believe I came around "all high and mighty" saying that people who don't believe stay out of my threads. What I said was, what is the point of going on a thread in a forum that you don't believe in? Aren't there other threads perhaps more interesting? I have rarely started threads, so I couldn't possibly tell people to stay out of them. But if one must enter a forum and comment on thread they absolutely do not believe in, it would be nice if they were civil and considerate of the person they are challenging. Debate is what this site is about, but I would like to see it constructive and not destructive.

Again, my main irritant has been the chemtrail threads. I posted on one, a few were just condescending and rude, saying that I should use my time in a more constructive manner than to spread lies and disinformation. Say WHAT? Yet others were polite, considerate, and presented their viewpoint in a constructive, intelligent manner that I find refreshing. They also helped me to see it their way, which to me shows a thoughtful person who is able to lay out their case without attacking me. This is how minds are changed, and knowledge enhanced. To those posters, I am most grateful, and I hope they know who they are.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Just because there is nothing to be found in unclassified documents does not make it necessarily untrue. Do you have proof of chemtrails?
I said nothing at all about chemtrails. Thank you though, for reaffirming my point, by trying to push the conversation off into a different direction.

Maybe you are just using the term 'debunk', too loosely. The way I see it, is that if it has in fact been debunked, then it has been debunked.

Debunk:

to expose the sham or falseness of

If some think that it has been debunked, but it actually hasn't, then point out the flaws that are within the debunking itself.

It does not matter how often any 1 person debunks anything.
For example: Just because JoJo debunked 5 threads today, that does not automatically mean that JoJo was not correct with his explanation of why Thread#6 is also BS.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Are we feeling a little grouchy today maybe? I was not trying to push you or this discussion in any direction, it's called an example but nevermind....

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

lol. Once again, you have completely avoided the point.
I don't even think you realize you're doing it.

It's simple:
  • If you disagree with a debunking
  • If the debunking attempt failed
  • If it did not actually debunk the topic at hand
    Then prove it, and explain why.

Attacking the debunker, does not prove that the debunking itself, was flawed.

• posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:36 AM
    link   

Originally posted by bacci0909Some of ya'll need either a nap or a snack
    LOL!!! This is me 75% of the time!!! Either from a migraine or a hypoglycemic episode, either way I usually post only when I'm not grouchy.
    Cause ATS is filled up with the grouchies.

Loved the rant. I just try and understand that for some people being rude and mean on the internet is their only outlet in life. It's the one place they can get away with it and it makes them feel better. Sometimes that's sad to think about. But it's worse to think that some people here might treat their friends/family the very same way in real life.

Thanks for the rant!

OiO

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:17 AM
    link   
    Well, I just hope no one expects boring old 'niceness' in the rant section. Sometimes only stern words can get through to a person and on this site it's worth growing some thick skin, this is not DisneyLand and if someone wants to be an arse and they post within the terms and conditions then let arses be arses (probably my category) and the nice be nice. I like diversity, keeps things interesting. I'd hate it if everyone here all of a sudden went all nicey nice, it'd be like going to church, mind numbingly dull.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:57 AM
    link   
    I honestly think that it would litterally kill some people out there to be nice. The reaction would cause such a shock to their system, the body might just go into cardiac arrest!

Enjoyed your rant!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:43 AM
    link   

I don't think I missed the point but you are entitled to your opinion. I personally never attack anyone as I don't like it being done to me. (With possibly 1 (one) exception which I apologised afterwards for via U2U to the person in question)

Rule 1 Be nice
    Rule 2 Be truthful
    Rule 3 Do no harm
    Rule 4 See rules 1, 2 and 3.

Peace out. I think this rant has served its purpose for some of us. Thanks OP!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:27 AM
    link   
    I'm glad that some of y'all got the point of my rant. You can disagree with somebody - strongly, in fact - and not call names or insult them. I have seen some disagreements that start with "What complete idiocy!" or, "If you had any brains at all you would see that...." or, "Hello, I'm Earth...Have we met?" and then spiral down from there to actually attack the poster. That last snippet was from the movie Tommy Boy. Too many people love to be like snippy little David Spade.

I don't think that civility is "boring". I don't like to see other posters insulted personally. What's wrong with a simple "I disagree and here's why"?

You know, for those of you who are dying to cuss, insult, and raise hell, the best place for that is infowars. I myself have gone on there and really laid into people. They don't have the T&C like this site does. It is somewhat cathartic, but when it is all said and done, nothing was accomplished, nobody's mind was changed, and everybody is angry like a wild animal who's been poked repeatedly with a stick.

Being nice and disagreeing is a definite mental challenge. Being a jerk and disagreeing with lots of insults and a self-righteous sense of importance is easy. Again, it is NOT about being "nicey-nicey". It is about getting your point across without insulting or attacking. I hope we are all grown-up enough on this site to know the difference.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:48 PM
    link   
    Look at a lot of these people trying to justify for there lack of human decency! ridiculous people! more of pathetic actually! Its not like the guy is asking for a dollar just some common courtesy. excuses, excuses! I even read someone say its not our job to be nice to you? you have got to be kidding me! no wonder our world is coming to an end! the whole lot of you needs to be wiped clean and mother nature is going to do that faster than you think! so keep up the "you don't care", or the "you don't have to be nice" mentality! because it will come around to bite you right in the A$$ like you deserve!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join