It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University Defends Crackdown on Religious Groups

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by WTFover

It's not the same...

Yes. It is.

I know you are but what am I?

That's basically what you just said.... you've been shown how it's not the same thing... you know it's not and that's why you've resorted to monosyllabic responses.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I'll put this as simply as I know how. Discrimination is discrimination is discrimination. You and BH can hold the belief that it's alright to discriminate against "Christians" all you like. (I put that word in quotations because that's the only religion BH seems to enjoy seeing being discriminated against) You are wrong, but you can have that belief. But, when you flat out deny that discrimination against someone because of their gender, sexual orientation or race is somehow different from discrimination because of their religious belief... you are just being blatantly disingenuous and it is a ridiculous waste of time for anyone to try to argue with such an illogical position.

In this case, there are four Christian student groups placed on "provisional status" by the university, along with nine others (eight of which they say are "non-religious"), which for whatever reason the identities the university is not releasing.

Four student religious organizations at Vanderbilt University may be in jeopardy following a review by the school’s administration that takes issue with the groups requiring their leaders share the groups’ core religious beliefs.

The Christian groups in question — Graduate Christian Fellowship, Christian Legal Society, Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Sigma Phi Lamda — were placed on provisional status in April after the Office of the Dean of Students concluded that the organizations were not in compliance with the university’s nondiscrimination policy.

www.thecollegefix.com...

The noncompliance issue is the same for the four groups. Each group’s constitution contains a clause which restricts leadership positions to individuals who share the group’s core religious beliefs.

"Core religious beliefs". Hmm. Why can't a "religious" organization demand their leaders share the "core religious beliefs" of the organization? The answer is they most definitely should be able to do so. As a matter of fact, the SCOTUS just agreed with that concept in "HOSANNA-TABOR EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH AND SCHOOL v. EEOC", regarding the "ministerial exception".

The same holds true for a black student organization being able to exclude a white guy from holding a leadership position. He would not share the "core beliefs", culture and principles to effectively lead. How many times have we all heard the phrase "It's a black thing"? There is nothing wrong with that statement and often times it is very accurate. Well, in this case, it's a Christian thing, as far as these organizations are concerned.

Is anyone else just a little curious about the eight "non-religious" organizations accused of having "discriminatory" clauses in their constitutions? I'd say that would shed a whole lot of light on the situation.

So, to state it more succinctly... Yes. It is.

edit on 2-2-2012 by WTFover because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Mcupobob

What he makes a stink about isn't really up to you or me. That is what freedom is about. Being FREE to do something, even if someone else think it's stupid or don't like his reasons.

Most people don't really understand freedom.

Including you. You seek the freedom to deny other people their freedom. Your no different then a rapist. You would hold people down and force them to accept that which they find unacceptable. No one has a right to force themselves onto other people.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join