It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-death researcher believes the mind survives death

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I suspect that at the root of all matter and energy in the universe is consciousness. Otherwise life would not have been able to develop in the first place. Random accident, I think not. Therefore, the death of our body is a return from our focused conscious/sensory experience to our natural pure consciousness ground at the root of so called inanimate matter. Imagine that all life is really one life that evolved to make itself believe it was separate lives.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
I suspect that at the root of all matter and energy in the universe is consciousness. Otherwise life would not have been able to develop in the first place. Random accident, I think not. Therefore, the death of our body is a return from our focused conscious/sensory experience to our natural pure consciousness ground at the root of so called inanimate matter. Imagine that all life is really one life that evolved to make itself believe it was separate lives.

Random accident, I think not. I don't see how it is anywhere near possible for life to develop and grow and evolve without their being some sort of primal intelligent template. Because to start an intelligent process requires an intelligent designer. I'm not saying flying spaghetti monster, I'm saying consciousness. The essence of life. I mean is this really even a question? Are we really supposed to believe that some materials accidently converged and those materials just so happened to be concerned with their own survival propagation enough to begin to consume other organic material and to procreate? That seems much further from scientific plausibility than what I'm saying that there is in fact an essence of life that transcends specific life forms. I'm just saying.
edit on 2-2-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Who designed the designer? A random accident is more likely than a designer if you think about it. How could an eternal being evolve without dying and reproducing?

Either way something happened. A little accident is more likely then a BIG accident (designer).

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato

Who designed the designer? A random accident is more likely than a designer if you think about it. How could an eternal being evolve without dying and reproducing?

Either way something happened. A little accident is more likely then a BIG accident (designer).

Instead of using the word designer, use the word, "intelligent template". One that is susceptible to producing life forms. Consciousness. At the root of all intelligent processes is consciousness. At the root of your mind is consciousness. It makes sense to say that consciousness is also repsonsible for the emergence of life so that the life forms could organize themselves more and more intelligently around that essence to paint a clearer picture of what it means to exist.

Consciousness is existence and you can hardly exist without being aware that you exist. So awareness is inevitable.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Consciousness exists as something that creates meaning and more elegantly tries to define the universe. In the beginning, there was no clear definition of what, how, or why, all there was was "there is". Since the universe exists then it has to be innately conscious, otherwise it wouldn't really exist. Consciousness, then, is responsible for the big bang. The hyper dense singularity exploded and came into a 3 dimensional existence because it came into existence because it is consciousness. So everything is life. All energy is conscious energy with the capacity to organize itself in increasing increments of intelligence to paint a clearer picture of what, how, and why.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
When people say all is one, then that to me means there is a unifying principle that binds us all as one. That unifying principle is conscious energy. It could be called just energy, but we know that energy is capable of much more than just mundane work. It is capable of intelligent work. It is capable of intelligent work (organized life forms) because it is itself intelligent energy. The binding unity at the ground of everything is intelligent energy. That is what you are, that is what hydrogen, helium, and mercury are.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by The1Prettiest1One
reply to post by arpgme

The brain is important in the construction and operation of a human organism. I would not deny such a thing since we can see the effect of brain injuries on cognition. It should be pointed out that the mind surviving death of the human is not a human mind; a human mind is an integration of at least two aspects.

It is a human mind into it reaches the collective mind (Quantum Field) and even then it can still hold it's individuality.
edit on 2-2-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Your in a system/platform of infinity. Infinite energy/infinite variation of energy/infinite intellgences.

www.csmonitor.com...

Hologram?

Everything is an energy wave, and we construct reality via programs in our mind, and erect the image and spacial at the back part of our minds.

We're in a system of infinite progression.

Higher Ups are the Designers/Coders/Creators of this school.

And Higher Ups are not duality based, but Love and Service to others. Its all about frequency, infinite layers stacked on each other.

In this creational school, we're in a heavy gravity duality construct, like Spongebob, at the bottom of the ocean, the sea of energy waves.

Accidents don't just happen. Creation isn't an accident, its an intelligent design in a system akin to infinite fractals.

In infinity you cannot take a measurement so there is not time.

montalk.net...

It’s just a big, complicated, set of possibilities frozen in a single eternal moment.

However, there is still a kind of “time” that separates one freewill choice from the one that comes after, that separates your less wise self from your wiser self after having learned new lessons. It’s just that those lessons and choices don’t necessarily have to follow the stream of linear time from past to future. They can span different timelines, different lives, go forward and backward in time, alter the past, change the future, shift in the present, etc…

Think of time like a large library of DVDs. All those movies exist simultaneously. But only as mere possibilities. Maybe some friends of yours have rented a few an are playing them right now, while the rest sit on the shelf. But it’s you and your DVD player that creates a sequence of what is played for you. And you can play them in any order, rewind them, pause them, etc… though while watching them, time within the movie moves forward. Is the time in a movie real? No, the beginning, middle, and end are simultaneous, unless you’re a character in the movie then it’s real.

edit on 2-2-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I died, and left my body for what felt like a minute or two. but in reality it was more like a day and a half.

I know i've spammed this experience like 4-5 times now in all the NDE threads but having survived it, I feel it's a necessity to put out there that yes, NDE's are possible, in mine I was what I relate to as a ghost, a greyish floating misty haze in a freezing black/white/grey environment. like I said, it only lasted just under 2 minutes.
no light in a tunnel, because it felt like I wasn't in anything. like I entered into oblivion. proceeded to float into the ceiling and into my body, which by then had been transferred to another hospital the next day.

I am agnostic, can't fully be athiest if there's a supposed life after death, even if it's nothing like the christian beliefs of heaven or hell, it seriously slapped me in the face to the fact there is SOMETHING.

Next time you die, look for God. That way instead of going to a black/white/grey/dull environment, you might go somewhere more alive.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
It is a human mind into it reaches the collective mind (Quantum Field) and even then it can still hold it's individuality.

One of its components no longer exists, so no, it is no longer human but only part of what a human is. "Holding individuality" doesn't imply "human".

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
www.heraldsun.com...

Robert Mays has studied near-death experiences for years, and has reached some conclusions.

One is that the mind is "an energetic entity" that separates from the body as people are dying.

"We believe a strong case can be made that the mind survives death," Mays said. "If we take what the near-death experiencers are saying, the mind will go to a place which is very positive. It's what everybody would call heaven."

Mays is a board member of the International Association For Near Death Studies, a nonprofit research organization based in Durham. It has about 850 members worldwide, and its stated purpose is to promote responsible, multi-disciplinary exploration of near-death and similar experiences.

An MIT graduate and retired software engineer at IBM, Mays has been interested in accounts of near-death experiences since he and his wife read Raymond Moody's book, Life After Life, in 1976, and George Ritchie's book,Return From Tomorrow.

Well, I had to share this story even though I do not believe in so called 'heaven'. The idea that the mind could possible survive the body is a stretch to me knowing that our thoughts are electric synapses in our brain. How these synapses could continue with no power supply sounds like a good question to me.

I think there very few people that wouldn't prefer to know when we die that there is something 'better' after it, somewhere where we can watch our kids or family grow and make sure they are okay or taken car of, but, when we die our source for energy ceases to exist.

Now, we do have energy when we die that is sitting in us that needs to be used up, but our brain works for 12 minutes after we die providing us with many dreams, and trips from the enormous flow of '___' to our brain.

I am not saying for sure that '___' causes all our NDE's, I am just saying there is more scientific evidence of that being the cause versus our energy traveling to another dimension or to 'heaven'.

Does that mean '___' is the answer, no, it is just our most proven theory at this point and theories change.

I wanted to bring it here and get others opinions on the atricle, and see what others think.

Any thoughts?

Pred...
edit on 1-2-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

perhaps it's the other way around, the brain derives it's power from the source that moves on after death.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

knowing that our thoughts are electric synapses in our brain. How these synapses could continue with no power supply sounds like a good question to me.

Well the power source doesn't have to be our own body.

www.popsci.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Our thoughts and everything about us that says we are alive is based on nothing more than specific organizations of various atoms. Thoughts are electrons. Since electrons are thought, then the nucleus of an atom must be the mind. So at what point does a specific arrangement of atoms get to be classified as alive?

How about every atom is alive in itself. And these tiny little life forms know how to organize themselves to become bigger and bigger life forms. All the while maintaining their own sense of individuality. But their not individuals are they? They are us. And we are the earth and the earth is the sun and the sun is the galaxy and the galaxy is the universe. All the while maintaining our own sense of individuality oblivious to any form of higher awareness. Our individuality also keeps us oblivious to lower forms of awareness. But it is the lower life forms that come together to make you. When you die, all that is left of you is a so-called inanimate chunk of ordinary particles. There is nothing that made up you that disappears. All that disappears is the focus of awareness that used to serve your individual body. What happens is a reintegration of awareness into the cosmic mind of which it was never truly separate from to begin with. Your atoms are still very much active, as is the earth that you once walked. And you become that which you always were. You finally become what you are but were too focused to realize. And that's what happens when you die.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Sam Harris addressing the subject.

If areas of the brain are damaged very specific faculties can be lost. Greater damage = even more faculties lost.

But if it all gets damaged , like during physical death - the mind survives ?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

i usually don't post till I have read everything, so I apologize in advance if I am alluding to something already said, but am time constrained. Just wanted to say I watched a very interesting docu last night on '___': The Spirit Molecule. Have read a great many anecdotes about experiences with it, as well. Virtually all report a similar "universal connection" during the peak of the experience, giving rise to much conjecture as to the '___' cascade and its effect on NDE. What I would like to say in regards to '___' in NDE being just a chemical stimulation of a similar hallucination (which is how I interpreted your OP's mention of it), I would like to point out that it could equally be a real, i.e. actually existing, connection, as well as the perception of it (the explanation for the shared NDE hallucination by some.) One of the points raised in the film is that throughout ancient cultures, writings and drawings on cave walls and other art, a story of contact with the spiritual is often represented, but then tapers off as life became less tribal, cultures intertwined, interbred, and man experienced so called ages of enlightenment and progress in science, etc. Many theorize that our diets, (ex. flouride and its supposed effect on the pineal gland, which produced '___'), separation from the natural world and the environment in directly sustaining our lives, and the advent of industrialization hastening and completing this separation, all may have been causative to our interpretation of what is realistic and reality. Perhaps with more active pineal glands, more '___' in our brains, we were always able to recognize this spiritual universe and our connection with it, without the trappings of our physical selves and the perceptions dependent upon such, and could actually see and experience it as a species, and the ways in which our lives have changed have cut us off from this.
Anyway, this documentary is extremely interesting, and I would strongly recommend it to anyone interested in this topic. Thanks for the OP.

On another note, energy can neither be destroyed nor created. And it is said we lose 21 grams at the moment of death.
edit on 6-2-2012 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I love that book. It's a compelling read. Thanks for bringing it up here!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

How much do you know about '___'? I highly recommend the documentary I referred to. Do you think it possible that '___' acts in an neurochemical sense on our brains by unlocking our perceptions on a higher level to what is actually real, tangible--our energy force continuing on and being aware and sentient and being able to perceive a different dimension of life, of existance in a more universal domain without a body made of physical matter?
It doesn't mean it's just a hallucination, in other words, because of a cascade effect of '___', but that the '___' is one of the physical steps that takes place that only appears to us as dying.
edit on 6-2-2012 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Sam Harris addressing the subject.

If areas of the brain are damaged very specific faculties can be lost. Greater damage = even more faculties lost.

But if it all gets damaged , like during physical death - the mind survives ?

I know people who have been dead and returned...after minutes. In one case I'm aware of a man was clinically dead for 20 minutes, and there have been people who have read ZERO brain waves on an EEG...Dead.

Then miraculously, somehow, people come back after death and with amazing recollection of things they could not possibly have known. So according to your video, all the brain faculties were lost or at the very least ceased to function for 20 minutes, yet these people could tell you what the paramedics looked like who loaded them into the ambulance.... I think there is much too much information for Life after Life to discount it even remotely.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Since so many prefer to think their consciousness is the product of synapses and neurons, there are many scientific studies, that are repeatable, that have been carried out, that prove otherwise, not to mention simple common experiences of obe's and lucid dreaming.

But as an opening video. This one is rather sweet. And repeatable, in fact he urges students looking for a project to take it on.

And if we are only synapses and neurons this wouldn't be possible. If you have a link in consciousness, and telepathy, or any form of psi, as a natural state, you have to ask serious questions on what consciousness truly is?

Telepathy: Nonhuman and Human Animal Connection - Morphic Resonance - Dr. Rupert Sheldrake

My Notes from this short and educational interview:

--Dr. Sheldrake studied biochemistry and other natural sciences at Cambridge University in England and philosophy at Harvard University.

--Currently he is the director of the Perrott-Warrick project, which is administered by Trinity College in Cambridge, England.

--Dr. Rupert Sheldrake has studied plant development and animal biology and done research in animal behavior for years now.

--....In the many experiments we did, the dog was waiting for her when she decided to come home (before she even went to her car) 80% of the time. (The 15 times this didn't happent the dog was either not feeling well or sleeping, worn out most of the time)

--In scientific investigation the repeatability of an experiment is essential to to demonstrate the results are not simply a product of chance. What happened when this experiment was replicated?

--Dr. Rupert Shedrake says: these experiments were repeated by a skeptic, who challenged our results, and he got the same results.

--He then does it with another dog, to show this is not just an exceptional dog. THen after 2, they did it with more to show this is a general outcome.

--He also goes on to say this also would make a brilliant student project.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Thanks for the post. Anyone who doubts in an afterlife should read "Heaven is For Real." Quit wasting time with your pondering and theorizing and find out what this little boy experienced.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join