It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay, and the Year of the Storm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
thepiratebay.se...

The Pirate Bay will reach an age of 9 years. Experiencing raids, espionage and death threats, we're still here. We've been through hell and back and it has made us tougher than ever.

I am a supporter of the pirate bay, not very much financially, but emotionally and intellectually. I think it's important to get some ATSers talking about what the Pirate Bay sees as a large storm coming its way, from things like ACTA and SOPA, and while you may not agree with piracy you can understand that the threat they face to our freedom is a common one; ATS would be subject to scrutiny unlike it has been before, the legal measures to censor us will be in place soon.

In this year of the storm, the winners will build windmills and the losers will raise shelters. So flex your muscles, fellow pirates, and give power to us all! Build more sites! More nets! More protocols! Scream louder than ever and take it to the next level!

I'd love to begin screaming but really, I have no voice, I'm an anarchist and I remain silent, in shadows and wait in wings to see what is going down before I interfere with anything.

Who likes to talk about things?

Whom do you see winning in this culture clash, the Pirate Bay or the establishment? If the Pirate Bay goes down, will other sites be destroyed as well? Could the clandestine network of Tor be the only way that TPB survives?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

Pirate bay is lame, viruses, compressed audio, files that don't work - what.cd is the S*** good luck getting an invite though.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I used to be all for piracy, but as I got older I got less greedy and less rebellious against legitimate businesses trying to make money.

I am however against SOPA in terms of censoring things that should not be censored but we already have the DMCA and the issue with Megaupload proves we don't need SOPA to do what they did.

I have to give props to PB for having such a blatant name and for being alive as long as they have. It's like having a neon sign on your house saying Crack House and u just give out crack all day.

And to those who think pirating is COOL then go try and run a business dealing in digital formats and people just take your hard work and use it, but not give u a dime. COOL HUH?!

edit on 1-2-2012 by jidnum because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl

Pirate bay is lame, viruses, compressed audio, files that don't work - what.cd is the S*** good luck getting an invite though.

I think you're just doing it wrong, I've used the pirate bay for a few years and had only minor troubles with non-torrent files from before I started using torrents at all.

There are little blue green or pink skulls next to a submitters name that will tell you if the torrent they offer is a trustworthy as a user-run site could be. If you click a torrent that doesn't have a skull next to it, it is more risky.

But don't blame the Pirate Bay for you own inability to use it. :p

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

You must be doing it wrong
I've used the pirate bay since i began torrenting 4 or so years ago.
I have not ran into any problems.

The amount of viruses on a computer is directly proportional to the proficiency of the user.
I'm careful what i download, and know what not to touch, other people have no clue. Therefor, viruses. Without PEBKACs there wouldn't be a computer repair industry i suppose.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sachyriel

I think you're just doing it wrong, I've used the pirate bay for a few years and had only minor troubles with non-torrent files from before I started using torrents at all.

There are little blue green or pink skulls next to a submitters name that will tell you if the torrent they offer is a trustworthy as a user-run site could be. If you click a torrent that doesn't have a skull next to it, it is more risky.

But don't blame the Pirate Bay for you own inability to use it. :p

yea pirate bay is really hard to use, click torrent, download torrent, open file, tough stuff there - I was reffering to private invite only sites - much better reliability and much better quality files - 320 music with FLAC versions. Pirate bay is for amatures.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Whom do you see winning in this culture clash, the Pirate Bay or the establishment?

You know that ACTA has already be signed?

All it needs is "a complaint" by some slime lawyer, and all countries who enforce and signed ACTA will disable access to TPB on an ISP level.

This will happen, there is no doubt about it.

And with TPB, all other torrent sites will go too...and in the wake of it whatever other "inconvenient" site also.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
i dont agree. i think private invite only sites is for amatuers more so as anyone willing to have so much data about there movements online hasnt thought through there actions....

like yeah your ISP is monitoring what you connect too and when, now you have absolute deniability if you have a not so secure internet connection or many people either in your house or that use your pc/network

however if you are signed up froma traceable invite then there is absolutely no deniability in use, it was you, on your network using your system...

just saying i see open torrent sites much safer than closed...

i support the bay... i reckon if you check the uploaders, use recognised and verified uploaders, check the seeds and leechers before using the file and read the comments (all things any savy internet user should always do anyway) then the Bay has many many high quality and decent options available... for download

Just my thoughts though

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
heres my thought process on this... Yes I get what the pirate bay does for people...

HOWEVER, is it worth it if the US censors the entire web because of sites like TPB?

think about it... if they weren't around SOPA wouldn't have even been on the table... Every action requires a re-action... Avatar was downloaded 122 million times...

thats a grip o money they lost... if I was "TPTB" in this case... I could see both sides....

Start being more objective... TPB isn't the good guy, but they aren't the bad guys either....

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

yea pirate bay is really hard to use, click torrent, download torrent, open file, tough stuff there - I was reffering to private invite only sites - much better reliability and much better quality files - 320 music with FLAC versions. Pirate bay is for amatures.

kingdom-kvcd.net...

I also use a private site for some torrents, meh, either or.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If anyone on here is a member of what.cd they would know what I'm talking about.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

If anyone on here is a member of what.cd they would know what I'm talking about.

I have no doubt.. it is increasing hwo traceable my downloads are on the internet i have issues with

join