It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Airline to drop 13,000 jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
money.cnn.com...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- American Airlines told its unions Wednesday it plans to cut 13,000 jobs from the staff of 88,000 at the nation's No. 3 airline. The cuts will fall most heavily on the airline's maintenance operations, which will lose 4,600 jobs. More than 4,000 additional ground worker jobs will be eliminated, as will 2,300 flight attendant jobs.

That economy sure is picking up, boy oh boy we are in the best of times. The lies that we are being told that the economy is getting better is all a farce. Obama admin is saying they are making jobs while the private sector is cutting jobs. The only jobs obama made are government sector jobs when they open up new government departments. Private companies are making major major cuts.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
i'm sure you're reading it wrong my friend, haven't you heard we're climbing out of the recession, obama told me so.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Edison is getting rid of all meter readers here soon too. With the new electronic meters they put in last year they no longer need meter readers, thousand of jobs will be lost. I have a hard time seeing the recovery.

edit on 1-2-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

I would try and resist those digital meters if I were you. They tried to get them mainstream in Holland but the things were banned due to privacy reasons. They can also form their own Wi-Fi network, sending back all kinds of usage info to the suppliers....worrisome. IMHO

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
You don't see the recovery because there isn't one. Well, that isn't quite true. There are plenty of new jobs....in very low wage countries.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

I would try and resist those digital meters if I were you. They tried to get them mainstream in Holland but the things were banned due to privacy reasons. They can also form their own Wi-Fi network, sending back all kinds of usage info to the suppliers....worrisome. IMHO

I don't think it's optional, at least in the states, my meter is behind the fence and they made me open the gate to let them in. You don't let them in they cancel your account and you have a very dark house with warm food. Their electricity their rules, I guess.

link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I guess people cost too much profits. Robot stewardesses? (Semi?) automated repair shops, computerised check-ins, some call it progress but business knows what it's doing. More profit, less money for employees. A sad trend that has been going on for a while. Last I heard here, the banks and telecom companies were the ones firing large amounts of people here. I think 6000 bank workers and 3000 telecom workers. In a 17 million citizen country, that can hit quite hard.

link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

they have passed some laws in my state that requires them to be installed, hopefully i can find a way or someone can to eliminate them putting one on my house. thieves can monitor your usage as well and determine when you are home or not.

not to steer the thread in a new direction.

change you can believe in, yeah right.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Of course. Maintenance is always the first to suffer!!

its not really necessary anyway, just a lot of money going after no real benefit!!

However after the Chapter 11 filing, restructuring was sure to follow. I will bet that a fleet reduction will be announced soon. You CANNOT cut maintenance ans expect to operate the same fleet size. The two are contiguous..

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Speaking of maintenance, it wasn't that long ago there here (Holland) they refused to let a certain airline company land due to its bad history of aircraft maintenance. I forget which (small) airline it was but some African or Middle-Eastern place if memory serves.
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Quite amazing how a utility company can influence laws...

edit on 1/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Replied to previous poster too

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

That would be called the "EASA Blacklist" and yes, it exists!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
You don't see the recovery because there isn't one. Well, that isn't quite true. There are plenty of new jobs....in very low wage countries.

Thats probably where all these maintenance jobs are heading. The company will pay under qualified mechanics overseas to repair and maintain all those aging jetliners at a tenth of the salary of their American counterparts. Guess where that leads? To a quick short term corporate profit that will surely be swallowed by all the insurance costs resulting from payouts to survivors(?) of crashes due to shoddy maintenance.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
How did that go again? oh yea, "Green Shoots". You can almost watch them grow...

Ben's Green Shoots Prediction

Check the story THEN check the date of the story. Nuff said
edit on 1-2-2012 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ah who cares about job lossess!?!?!?!

The markets are rallying and ejaculating over positive global manufacturing data and optimism over the growth of the US economy and debt deal being reached on Greece.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ah who cares about job lossess!?!?!?!

The markets are rallying and ejaculating over positive global manufacturing data and optimism over the growth of the US economy and debt deal being reached on Greece.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl
I have a hard time seeing the recovery.

In order to be a good American, you must accept that our current state of malaise, slow callapse even, IS "recovery." You must accept this because Dear Leaders state that it is so. In fact, you not only should accept it, you must believe it, as well! Furthermore, you must come to a point in which you no longer even believe that there was ever a recession, that we have always been in prosperity, the economy never stumbling or faltering, regardless of what you or your neighbor's monetary situation looks like (afterall, it is the good of the nation which leads us all to triumph and you must be constantly in a sacrificial state to ensure that we triumph and our economy remains in recovery from an incorrectly remembered recession which we all know never even occurred, though we are in recovery from it.)

^^^THIS^^^ is the path we are on. Orwell called it "Doublethink" and it mandates that the government confuses and obfuscates while repeating their imaginary "reality" over and over to the people until the people reach a point of confusion whereby they begin to believe this imagined nonsense. The holdouts who retain their sanity and see the true reality are labeled "anti-American" and persecuted (either directly or by your neighbors/family/friends via programs like "if you see something, say something" and various nationalistic bullcrap.)

Pertinent examples of what we are seeing and how it ties to Orwellian theory are found in such concepts as:

-The economy is "updown": I've heard this word used a time or two on the business channels. They have, so far, treated it as a "good sign" whereby the stock markets are "up", thus minimizing the "long term" nature of the current "down" personal financial sentiment and circumstances.

-"Peacekeeping War"- The UN and the USA have really latched onto this concept whereby you have some manner of tyrany taking place, so the obvious answer is to shoot the hell out of both the tyrant and the citizens they were bedeviling... all in the name of "peace." Extra credit points for the fact that anyone who disagrees with these actions are "unpatriotic", "uncaring", or "terror sympathizers."

-Restricting/Contracting Constitutional Rights in the name of "protecting" freedom... Those damn terrorists, they want to destroy our freedom and our way of life, solution for preventing that from happening? The government will take those freedoms before the terrorists can and kick our way of life square in the danglers.

-Unemployemt... this isn't so much doublethink as repurposing of a previously utilized word to mean something entirely different than it was always supposed to mean. The "unemployed" used to be working aged people who wanted to work but didn't currently have a full time job... Now, through the magic of the government, the unemployed is restricted to those who have been looking for work only up to a certain point, after which you become "disgruntled" and are amazingly no longer unemployed and are removed from the roles. This creates a doublethink in and of itself, in which the economy is actually getting WORSE, dragging on longer, and going much deeper... yet the unemployment rate is dropping as more and more people transition into the disgruntled zone. Dear Leaders point to the dropping rate and say "Look, the unemployment rate is dropping. Recovery is happening!"

It's all garbage, to be honest.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Hey now... in your corner:
How some Americans really feel

new topics

top topics

join