It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiscali the hidden village of the Nuragici people of Sardinia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Tiscali is a interesting place. Built inside of Monte Corrasi, in a huge cave or more correctly a chasm, the walled huts are clustered near the walls. The village was inhabited until very late, leading some to speculate that its inhabitants were hiding from the Romans or other Sardinians

The people who built and lived there were probably the Nuragic people noted for building the many Nuraghe sites that cover Sardinia. They were there for several thousand years before recorded history.

Nuraghic people

Nuraghe

Besides being a delighful place to visit and a nice hike I had in a nearby village one of my more exotic food treats

A special cheese

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

As always Hans.

Good stuff. Love the pics and the links. It's always cool to learn about locations hidden by time.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

That cheese you linked....euw!

Casu marzu (also called casu modde, casu cundhídu in Sardinian language, or in Italian formaggio marcio, "rotten cheese") is a traditional Sardinian sheep milk cheese, notable for containing live insect larvae. It is found mainly in Sardinia, Italy.

Cool pics but I will skip the cheese!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Reminds me about the movie Ben-Hur, where there was this cave where people infected with the Antonine Plague?
Edit; looked it up, it was the Valley of the Lepers.
People infected where seperated in a big cave which looked allot like this 1.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 1-2-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

My dad told me about that cheese one time.
He said they took it out and popped the top off of it and a bunch of worms came out.
People were killing them but the guy that did the cheese said not to cuz it was the best part. lol

Gross!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

My dad told me about that cheese one time.
He said they took it out and popped the top off of it and a bunch of worms came out.
People were killing them but the guy that did the cheese said not to cuz it was the best part. lol

Gross!

It didn't taste that bad, a texture like soft brie, a hint of Limburger and the same taste I got in mouth from the fear of going up the 250 ft tower at Ft Benning the first time. The movement of the little devils was a bit unpleasant. I had only a small piece

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

As always Hans.

Good stuff. Love the pics and the links. It's always cool to learn about locations hidden by time.

Thanks but my posts don't measure up to your mega posts!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hey hans,
That's awsome stuff,
I am reminded of a travel/ cooking show I saw some time ago.
The host was travelling around some Mediterranean island,and met a local herdsman.
The herdsman took the host to his families ancestral summer cave, whew he and his brother lived during the summer months,while they tended their herd. When asked how long their family had used the cave, he replied ,"always", and related how someone from the "university" had been out and studied their cave and said people had been living there for thousands of years.
The herdsman then showed him some of the cheese, OMG it was foul looking, and the guy said it was best after it hqd warmed in the sun.,

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10
Hey hans,
That's awsome stuff,
I am reminded of a travel/ cooking show I saw some time ago.
The host was travelling around some Mediterranean island,and met a local herdsman.
The herdsman took the host to his families ancestral summer cave, whew he and his brother lived during the summer months,while they tended their herd. When asked how long their family had used the cave, he replied ,"always", and related how someone from the "university" had been out and studied their cave and said people had been living there for thousands of years.
The herdsman then showed him some of the cheese, OMG it was foul looking, and the guy said it was best after it hqd warmed in the sun.,

Howdy Punkinworks

Thanks.....my archaeology glands started working overtime......cave.....inhabitated......long time........throw those peasants out and dig up that cave!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

You could tell that the cave had been a habitation for a very long time, there were alcoves dug into the walls, and a hole carved into the roof to allow the smoke from the fire out. The man showed the host how they make the cheese in a goat skin bag, I think he used thistle to cuddle the milk . Then the bag was hung in a tree for several days and the flies show up naturally, of coarse.
The men were also roasting/smoking a lamb on a spit and they had a suckling pig hanging over the lamb so that as it was smoked the fat dripped on the lamb below and basted it.
You wouldn't really kick them out of their ancestral home, would you?

Ps I have a couple of cave stories I'm am working on

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10

You wouldn't really kick them out of their ancestral home, would you?

Ps I have a couple of cave stories I'm am working on

Why yes I would, slap those boys in a government run dilapidated tenement located on an alleyway paved with squashed things....might take a decade or more to do a complete exac of that cave.......lol

new topics

top topics

join