It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Gasland' Journalists Arrested At Hearing By Order Of House Republicans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

'Gasland' Journalists Arrested At Hearing By Order Of House Republicans

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON -- In a stunning break with First Amendment policy on Capitol Hill, House Republicans directed Capitol Hill police to detain a highly regarded documentary crew that was attempting to film a Wednesday hearing on a controversial natural gas procurement practice. Republicans also denied the entrance of a credentialed ABC News news team that was attempting to film the event.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
How can they arrest someone for trying to attend a PUBLIC meeting? I can understand they didn't want it filmed for some reason but they could've asked them to turn off their cameras. It didn't say whether that was done first.

It did say it isn't hard to get a temp media pass from the front desk. Also note that a ABC team with proper credentials was also turned away but not arrested. Something is not adding up here. Perhaps 'Gasland' (which I haven't seen) as struck a nerve on Capital Hill

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Politicians don't want witnesses and they're not timid anymore about protecting their backroom mindset. Over recent years they've been emboldened by their success in stifling dissent and ignoring the interests of the People. Just one more case of that. Can't very well bend over for their corporate owners and have it on film now can they?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Footage of them being arrested at a "public" fracking meeting will carry more weight than footage of the actual meeting proceedings.

They got more than they bargained for IF, they got to keep their data.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Getting bad press by attempting to avoid it.

That's fracking hilarious.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Check out my sig, it says it all. If you haven't seen Gasland I highly recommend you do before it's your water you can light on fire.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
From the source:

UPDATE: 2:27 p.m. -- Fox apparently had applied for credentialing the day before the hearing but had been unable to obtain official permission to film. He had asked a credentialed film crew to tape the proceedings on his behalf but was informed that this was not permitted.

Democrats attempted to suspend the rules governing camerawork to allow Josh Fox and ABC to film the hearing, but Republicans, who hold a majority on all House committees and subcommittees, voted down the motion.

Now it makes more sense and makes the whole thing look more routine.

The filming didn't have permission to begin with, there were rules governing camerawork which prevented it, and the committee voted not to suspend the rules.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23
Getting bad press by attempting to avoid it.

That's fracking hilarious.

Hehe, indeed : The Streisand Syndrome at its best.

On topic : Go, Republicans, go : your effin policies soon will make your world collapse ; you won't mess long with Earth, Soil, Water, Human Health : Karma will soon strike back through (Truly) Left Political Parties emerging worlwide, specially in Europe, - ya know, this worst friends of yours...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Right now, the stock price of natural gas is in the basement, having gone 10 cents below it's historic low late last week. It is being kept down artificially, most likely to get one or more natural gas companies to capitulate and sell out, for whatever reason. It is at a price where most companies cannot afford to even handle it, and this is highly suspicious.

The reason I know this is because my husband day trades, and we are long on natural gas right now because the price is so pathetically low. He feels the price is being artificially manipulated for some nefarious purpose. He is trading the ETF "BOIL" (natural gas).

Now I see your post and read the article on film crews being tossed out while they're doing their sneaky back-room deals. As soon as one or more companies capitulate (ie, are run out of business), they'll be picked clean like a buzzard picks a carcass, and then the price will go up substantially.

If you're a day trader, it can't go much lower, so it may be a good idea to go long on it.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Wanna work AGAINST this all ? Just ask your hubby to stop trading at once, and get back to basics : creating real economics values instead of making bucks upon the art of making bucks. In the end, you'll have helped a bit to save the Western World.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Here is the only rule governing camerawork that is valid:

Congress shall not abridge the freedom of the press. And that they actually do abridge the freedom of the press on a routine basis, through the use of rules that contradict the constitution, should give one pause.
edit on 2/1/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: clarity

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I can't believe this!!

I saw Gasland and loved it! I recommend everyone watch it soon, before it gets banned here in the USA. Water isn't supposed to be flammable!!

So another Amendment right is gone

What is happening to our country?

This just makes me so angry!!

Hopefully he got it all on film and gets to keep what he filmed ....... and it will be a part of the next Gasland movie!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0sp3r0

He and I both spent our adult years doing "real jobs". I think, especially him, that he has more than paid his dues, creating whole IT departments and computerizing companies for greater efficiency. Then he got older and got let go. He has a room full of awards to show for his 14 hour days for many years of hard work and dedication, but why pay money for experience, when you can fire the older worker and get a youngster for a 1/3 of the wages?

This is how we make our living now, trading stocks, as nobody wants to hire people in their 50s anymore. What do you want us to do, starve to death and be on the street, jobless and homeless? I do not consider trading for a living to be a crime, because we do it honestly, and we are at a disadvantage against the big brokerage houses with insider information. Yet we survive, pay our bills, and contribute to our community.

Before you go judging others, I think you had better ask what circumstances caused us to go this route, instead of deciding that we are part of the problem. I'm surprised that you would write such a post with no knowledge of us whatsoever.

What have YOU done to create "real value"? Or are you just a lot of hot air on a message board?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I replied to a similar post on another forum:

The 1st Amendment says the government will not make laws abridging (limiting) the rights of freedom of "press"- the right to write or print opinion, and "speech"- the right to speak freely, amongst other rights as well, so long as said rights are contingent upon (the) individual(s) not violating the similar right(s) of (an)other(s) beyond (a) logical, reasonable degree or otherwise directly inciting civil mayhem or violence.

NO ONE MADE A LAW HERE! So 1st Amendment arguments are rather moot. And, Obama pledged "transparency" yet the Democrats have done far more, far worse than this hiding. SO go bark up the other tree.

So Republicans deny the reporters' presence because the proceedings were already being reported, then requested their removal when they arrived after being told to not be there on grounds of disorderly conduct? ... and Democrats stood idly by, not raising their own objections to the Republicans' actions? That shows the Democrats aren't outwardly forward about "being for the people", as those who erroneously refer to them as "Democratic" imply.

To help enhance your intelligence [only some of yours'- not everyones': if you're offended by the suggestion, or not, you know who I mean]: IT IS NOT "The Democratic Party", IT IS "The Democrat Party" and its members are "Democrats" and they are properly referred to as: "Democrat Mayor", "Democrat Governor", "Democrat Senator.", "Democrat Representative", "Democrat President", etc., ad nauseum.

Get it straight people: when someone says "Democratic spokesperson" or something similar, someone is trying to co-opt a similar yet different word which has a different meaning, and
THEY ARE TRYING TO MANIPULATE YOU!

I did not state the obvious: if you don't like the way things are run change the leaders.
People complain about the system then keep the system running with the "status quo".

edit on 2/1/2012 by abecedarian because: format tags

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Read CLOSER...the accredited camera crew from ABC was also turned away....just not imprisoned...
Velkome to das USSA...........

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Read EVEN CLOSER:

Republican staffers told Democrats that a crew for ABC News had also been denied access to the event, but ABC News told HuffPost that their organization did not have any journalists assigned to cover the hearing. It is not clear what caused the confusion.

"We definitely did not have a crew on the Hill this morning to cover this hearing," an ABC News spokeswoman told HuffPost. "The individual who was turned away absolutely did not have ABC news credentials."

SO there was no ABC crew there either, obviously since the ABC crew was turned way.

And so the plot thickens.

edit on 2/1/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0sp3r0
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Wanna work AGAINST this all ? Just ask your hubby to stop trading at once, and get back to basics : creating real economics values instead of making bucks upon the art of making bucks. In the end, you'll have helped a bit to save the Western World.

If I've ever heard an argument against union pension plans and such, this is the best one to date.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
reply to post by Pr0sp3r0

He and I both spent our adult years doing "real jobs". I think, especially him, that he has more than paid his dues, creating whole IT departments and computerizing companies for greater efficiency. Then he got older and got let go. He has a room full of awards to show for his 14 hour days for many years of hard work and dedication, but why pay money for experience, when you can fire the older worker and get a youngster for a 1/3 of the wages?

This is how we make our living now, trading stocks, as nobody wants to hire people in their 50s anymore. What do you want us to do, starve to death and be on the street, jobless and homeless? I do not consider trading for a living to be a crime, because we do it honestly, and we are at a disadvantage against the big brokerage houses with insider information. Yet we survive, pay our bills, and contribute to our community.

Before you go judging others, I think you had better ask what circumstances caused us to go this route, instead of deciding that we are part of the problem. I'm surprised that you would write such a post with no knowledge of us whatsoever.

What have YOU done to create "real value"? Or are you just a lot of hot air on a message board?

And this is a good argument supporting pension and retirement plans.

I've now gone totally off topic.

Sorry.

XL5

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I think they better be careful about making the water flamable. People may start to distill the stuff out of the water, claim the set up its for their safty and then power their car with what ever is in the water. Maybe even using it for heating!
edit on 1-2-2012 by XL5 because: .

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Politicians don't want witnesses and they're not timid anymore about protecting their backroom mindset. Over recent years they've been emboldened by their success in stifling dissent and ignoring the interests of the People. Just one more case of that. Can't very well bend over for their corporate owners and have it on film now can they?

Lets just let them continue to do these things.

Seriously...

They are not smart enough to " know when enough is enough ", so they will keep trying until it all comes crashing down.

Somewhere deep down I know that these "people in power" only actually think they are in power and have been lead to believe this over centuries all the while , the real people with power quietly observe in the distance.

When things come time to happen, karma will come looking for them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join