It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new puppy is freaking me out! Shaking and barking at nothing...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hey everyone,

I have had a 7 month old patterdale puppy for about 3 weeks now. She has just settled in and is normally very well behaved, never barks unless someone knocks on the front door, and is very playful and in good health.

Two nights ago she started barking at the other side of the room where nobody was and started shaking like she was scared, it lasted for about 30 minutes and whatever I did to try and bring her round, treats and toys etc she wasn't interested, then she just cowered behind me on the sofa and wouldnt move.

It freaked me out. There was nothing there, at first I thought it could be the central heating creaking the pipes as a radiator was in the direction she was looking but then realised the heating wasn't even switched on!

I know animals are supposed to sense spirits etc but I didnt realise they would be scared of them if they did see them, maybe it was because she is a puppy and hasn't experienced 'seeing' a spirit before?

I have not noticed any chills or anything strange myself and it only happens at certain times in the day, usually afternoons. She doesnt like to be on her own in the house either, even follows me to the toilet and sleeps in my bed with me at night time. I have left her in the house on her own twice in 3 weeks for no longer than an hour and both times when I came home she was absolutely freaking out and nearly having a heart attack because she was so excited to see me, is this normal?

I am thinking about asking a vicar to come and bless the house or something as it is quite an old house, does anybody have any suggestions?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by benjamin2012

You should go buy a Ouija board and spell out the puppy's name and see what happens - in the middle of the night...

Oh, and film it...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I would first have her medical checked out..then if you have spirits get jesus...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Some dogs may develop separation anxiety for a variety of reasons...here is a little info, of signs to watch for.

Separation Anxiety In Dogs
Home
Dogs Separation Anxiety - Common Symptoms and Treatment

One of the greatest joys of dog ownership is the tight bond we experience and encourage with our dogs. However, if your dog becomes too reliant or dependent on you, dog separation anxiety can occur when you and your dog are apart.

Separation anxiety in dogs is an enormous problem for around 10% of all puppies and older dogs. Somewhat ironically, problems related to separation anxiety are the major cause for dogs ending up in animal shelters. I wish I could say canine separation anxiety is an easy fixed, but in many cases it is a very difficult problem to overcome (hence this is the longest article on my website!).

Look At It From Your Dog's Perspective
To your dog you are the most important thing in his/her world. Dogs are pack animals who are very sociable creatures and thrive on company for many reasons. Your dog would spend every bit of his life with you if he could. So it's only natural that when you go out, your dog experiences varying degrees of distress or anxiety. He becomes confused, doesn't know where you are going, why he can't be with you and if you will be coming back to him. When the two of you are separated all he wants is to be reunited with his pack - which is you.

Punishment is NEVER the answer
to solving Separation Anxiety in dogs!
separation anxiety in dogs

Does Your Dog Suffer From Separation Anxiety?
There's every chance your dog is suffering from a separation anxiety disorder rather than another dog behavior problem if:

Your dog gets really worked up and anxious when you are preparing to leave the house. Actions such as picking up your car keys or putting on your coat can be enough to trigger the behavior.

Your dog engages in inappropriate behavior only when you are separated. I expand on this topic further down the page, but behavior such as urinating inside, excessive barking and destructive behavior are common symptoms of canine separation anxiety.

Your dog follows you everywhere you go and immediately becomes distressed if he can't be near you.

When you arrive home your dog is over the top with his greeting and takes a while to calm down.

Why Do Dogs Experience Separation Anxiety?
There are many theories on this one. In some cases the cause or trigger can be pinpointed to a particular event, but often there appears to be no explanation for the dog separation anxiety to commence. What I can say is that separation anxiety in dogs regularly occurs:

Straight after a change in routine. Such as your work hours changing or a family member leaving home. Remember dogs are creatures of habit and any changes can be very unsettling and confusing to them.

If you have been on vacation or unemployed for some time and have been spending heaps of time with your dog. As a result of this when you go back to work your dog becomes anxious and distressed.

Unfortunately dogs rescued from animal shelters contribute a highly disproportionate number of dog separation anxiety cases.

After your dog experiences a traumatic event while on his own. If a thunderstorm lashes your home while your dog is alone, this can trigger separation anxiety in the future - your dog will associate your absence with the traumatic event.

If your dog is rarely left alone and becomes overly reliant on his human family - Golden Retrievers are very susceptible to this type of separation anxiety in dogs.

When you move house to a new neighborhood.

How Does Separation Anxiety In Dogs Manifest?

Barking Whining
Licking Destructive Behavior
Chewing Howling
Panic Attacks Digging
Inappropriate Urinating House Soiling
Self Mutilation Escaping
Diarrhea Loss Of Appetite
Excessive Salivation Vomiting
Jumping Through Windows Crying

www.dog-obedience-training-review.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Ouija board??? Are you insane??? If there was a prescence it could make matters worse!!

Personally I would use the camera first. Next time she freaks out... Follow her trail of sight and take a few snaps. See what comes out. It could be nothing.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I agree with the above poster ^^ Definitely no Quija board ! She probably is getting anxious especially if she left the litter quite soon. I would post some pictures up and see what you capture.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Is there a reflective surface? My dog will stare intently at mirrors or the sliding glass door to my deck when it's dark out.

And yeah, dogs get separation anxiety like the above poster mentioned.
edit on 1-2-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Is there any windows on that side of the house? My dogs will bark nonstop if they see their reflection or any reflection in the window. Thought the same thing about my dog, was it a ghost, but then realized it was the glass on the tv stand making her go crazy. Move your foot and she saw it as a threat.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Is it an outside wall?

Is there a lot of electrical wiring, possibly a SES (secondary electrical service ) your fuse box near the area. Animals are several times more sensitive to electromagnetic energy than humans.

Is there possibly an animal, rodent or otherwise in the wall, nesting under the eve, scratching, chirping, making noises which transfer easily thru a wall.

Is it wood structure, or masonry?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about a supernatural cause unless you yourself start to experience something as well.

There are several things you can try with the puppy. Put a stuffed animal in the spot the dog keeps freaking out about. If nothing else it will fill the space and maybe ease the dogs mind. If the puppy still freaks out, make note of the times it happens. It could very well be a sound that you do not hear and the dog does, such as a release valve going off somewhere around the same time every night.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
A few of the symptoms of Seperation Anxiety Disorder she has so I will make some further reading on the subject thanks

Ouija Board?? OMG I wouldnt dare do that, especially with her behaviour LOL

I will take a photo next time she has an episode and post it here to see if there is anything showing, here is a link to a photo I have just taken while she is calm, she had to get in the picture too lol

As you can see in the image there is no mirrors, windows or reflective surfaces in the direction she was barking at, just a radiator and an internal door. There is an electrical meter on the other side of the wall though so not sure if she is detecting this, but surely she would notice it all the time and not just particular moments?

I have my camera set up for her next 'episode' and will post it as soon as it happens

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Thanks for the advice, I have not noticed anything strange and I am usually quite sensitive to chills and strange feelings in houses but I have none here so I will try putting a stuffed toy near the wall and see if this distracts her

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
you have a loose wire in an electrical outlet. It causes a vibration and noise is heard by dogs and cats. Probably not a fire danger, probably.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
This just happened to my dog. Did you ever figure out what happen?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: benjamin2012

Theres a dark entity under your mattress, or possibly in your closet. This tends to only happen later at night when your in bed with the lights out. usually keeping the lights on in the hallway and the door cracked open at night helps.

They also make these cool little night lights I used to use when I was a kid, but for adults.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Theres a dark entity under your mattress, or possibly in your closet. This tends to only happen later at night when your in bed with the lights out. usually keeping the lights on in the hallway and the door cracked open at night helps.

They also make these cool little night lights I used to use when I was a kid, but for adults.

Seriously, I thought the night lights were scarier....

Just turn on the normal lights all night, replace them with LED bulbs if you're concerned with electric bills.

Lights do help a lot. I had objects in the room move on their own. Started sleeping with lights on, voila! Never happened again!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

This may help, Google - Mystery, Inc.

Very highly rated.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Supernatural puppy?Can you kindly fk of

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61

Having a bad day?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61

Seriously? On a three year old thread you're going to make a comment like that? Can you kindly gain some manners?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join