It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could global warming lead to alien intervention? Scientists say yes.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I came accross this article I little while ago and thought I would share this with all my ATS friends.

It is basically asking if what we have done to this planet could lead to a intervetion for a ET race to help "guide" us to a better path. Like the traditional "space brother/sister" situation. This article also has some pretty credible souces such as NASA and researchers from Penn State. I will post a snipit of the article.

The unchecked rise of greenhouse gasses could spell destruction for the human race — but not in the way you might expect. In a recently published paper, a NASA scientist speculates that rising levels of greenhouse gases in Earth's atmosphere could attract unwanted attention from intelligent extraterrestrial life.

They state "unwanted" attention...Wouldn't they like the help of a space farring group of ETs who obviously have better technology and advice then we currently have..?

Perhaps ETI believe that rapid expansion is threatening on a galactic scale. Rapidly (maximally) expansive civilizations may have a tendency to destroy other civilizations in the process, just as humanity has already destroyed many species on Earth. ETI that place intrinsic value on civilizations may ideally wish that our civilization changes its ways, so we can survive along with all the other civilizations. But if ETI doubt that our course can be changed, then they may seek to preemptively destroy our civilization in order to protect other civilizations from us. A preemptive strike would be particularly likely in the early phases of our expansion because a civilization may become increasingly difficult to destroy as it continues to expand. Humanity may just now be entering the period in which its rapid civilizational expansion could be detected by an ETI because our expansion is changing the composition of Earth's atmosphere (e.g. via greenhouse gas emissions), which therefore changes the spectral signature of Earth. While it is difficult to estimate the likelihood of this scenario, it should at a minimum give us pause as we evaluate our expansive tendencies.

This was written by Shawn Domagal-Goldman of NASA's Planetary Science Division and from the academics of Penn State. Also sorry for the long snipit there, but I figured it is important enough for the article and the piece in general.

I personally believe that this is possible, but the thought always comes to mind...Why would they want to help us at all...? Simply thw woudln't want to help us, but help to protect others from us. After seeing what we have done to ourselves, wouldn't that make them think what we would try to do in open space..? Anyway any opinions on this ATSers?

Link to source.

-SAP-

edit on 1-2-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I don't know about this. If we are expanding in our intelligence, then other ETIs might be as well. When we develop a high grade destructive technology, they too will increase their own. So we are no threat to them.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Interesting, considering this man works for a government that has not yet given any confirmation as to the existence of extraterrestrials with superior intellect.

Should we take this as a confirmation that it is at least likely? Otherwise, this man would never have thought to write this article.

score 1 for the believers.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Well, I can only hope that they will take those of us who try to be responsible about our environment, and leave the rest (politicians, lawyers, pedo's, and anybody who watches Glee) to rot.

In all seriousness, I prescribe to the ancient astronaut theory, and have for many years. I think they've been here in the past, and I think they will come again in the future. If they had seen the progress our race had made, why not stop it before it got out of control? Any intelligent race (in my opinion) would have evolved to the point of honoring life, and leave new civilizations up to their own devices (perhaps in a Star Trek "Prime Directive" fashion). I honestly think that by the time humanity is to the level of interstellar travel across great distances, we will have found the clean tech to not only do that, but the tech to undo the damage that we have done to Mother Earth.

My only fear is that after all of this fear mongering by Dr. Hawking, and this article, is the fear that a truly peaceful race may come down to make contact, and all the crazies with their Bibles and guns might start taking potshots. We would lose our chance to make first contact, and prove to a peaceful race that a large majority of Terrans are not ready for contact.

My $.02.

-TS

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

My thoughts exactly when I read it. No doubt he believes this to be very possible that ETI would try to protect others from our destructive nature. Which to me seems possible. Thet must look at us with disgust.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

post by SloAnPainful
This article also has some pretty credible souces such as NASA and researchers from Penn State.

Not exactly

It's important to note that while one of the authors does have a NASA affiliation, this report is not actually sanctioned by NASA

What if global warming is being caused by Aliens , part of their experiment on us to see how we'd cope .
I don't buy the ET are here to save us theory , I think they'd be as dispassionate about us as we are about monkeys in a zoo , or the poor primates in an experimental science lab

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I also agree with that. They would most likey do a U-turn and head back out for the next planet. We have ravaged this planet to much as it is. "The day the Earth stood still" had a good idea of ET intervention.

Of course it's not sanctionaed by NASA because they will never take part in anything regarding ET. The author though is a part of the NASA team. :/ It's all good though, I am sure he is just voiceing his opinion on the subject.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Global warming is a scam to get companies to buy Carbon Credits, TPTB use it to line their pockets with Green paper, this is the reason for going green.

Alien intervention happened along time ago and Earth will see a mini ice age before it ever sees a global warming.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Actually makes me think we need Colonies on the MOON and MARS like NOW!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl
Global warming is a scam to get companies to buy Carbon Credits, TPTB use it to line their pockets with Green paper, this is the reason for going green.

Alien intervention happened along time ago and Earth will see a mini ice age before it ever sees a global warming.

I am not saying I believe global warming at all. Who knows it could be a scam..? I mean no disrespect but can you back up your claims of it being a gov't money gathering project?

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
i'm inclined to agree when they say "unwanted" attention, put yourself in the ET"s shoes (if they wear those) we're not exactly the race you want to "save" from ourselves. They'll put us down before allowing us to continue our corruption.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

I am not saying I believe global warming at all. Who knows it could be a scam..? I mean no disrespect but can you back up your claims of it being a gov't money gathering project?

-SAP-

A carbon credit is a generic term for any tradable certificate or permit representing the right to emit one tonne of carbon dioxide or the mass of another greenhouse gas with a carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) equivalent to one tonne of carbon dioxide.[1][2][3]

Carbon credits and carbon markets are a component of national and international attempts to mitigate the growth in concentrations of greenhouse gases (GHGs). One carbon credit is equal to one metric tonne of carbon dioxide, or in some markets, carbon dioxide equivalent gases. Carbon trading is an application of an emissions trading approach. Greenhouse gas emissions are capped and then markets are used to allocate the emissions among the group of regulated sources.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's not about reducing the greenhouse gases, all companies have to do to pollute is pay more money and buy carbon credits. Buy credits and you can pollute all you want. If it was about stopping global warming they would stop the pollution but now there just charging people for it.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Global warming denial is a scam, pushed by corporations whom don't want to lose profit by cleaning up their act and pushed by net idiots whom do not know how to research anything.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I am not saying I believe global warming at all.

Much like gravity, a disbelief does not mean it goes away

Who knows

Independent worldwide scientists

it could be a scam..?

Could be, but it isn't

I mean no disrespect but can you back up your claims of it being a gov't money gathering project?

-SAP-

You ask a question, it is good to ask questions. He will point out how the carbon tax will generate revenue, but ignore the whole its a scam part (he may link to a couple debunked pseudo-science claims about 1998)

Challenge these fools wherever they stand. Its time ATS at least gets back into the business of denying ignorance and shine a light on the true conspirators and their perpetuating of ignorance.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

-SAP-

It's not about reducing the greenhouse gases, all companies have to do to pollute is pay more money and buy carbon credits. Buy credits and you can pollute all you want. If it was about stopping global warming they would stop the pollution but now there just charging people for it.

But...you said its a scam (global warming), then you go on about if it was about stopping global warming...
You basically say GW doesn't exist, then when asked for proof, you suggest the counter wont work as it doesnt really stop the global warming.

you must be dizzy from all that spinning.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Exactly just like our troops in Iraq, afghanistan and very soon Iran, let's find these terrorists before we get a worlwide 9/11 which was True btw!!!! Fear the aliens, FEAR THEM!!

Hmm hmm ok enough fear mongering here and I think we should stop paying attention to this kind of fear mongering people don't you see? They have us wrapped up in a bubble of fear and wonder do not give thought to all the fear and if you don't let the fear get to you then the brainwashing won't get to you.

Think for yourselves, question authority and spread Love brothers
Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

-SAP-

But...you said its a scam (global warming), then you go on about if it was about stopping global warming...
You basically say GW doesn't exist, then when asked for proof, you suggest the counter wont work as it doesnt really stop the global warming.

you must be dizzy from all that spinning.

You're cute

Forget global warming - it's Cycle 25 we need to worry about (and if NASA scientists are right the Thames will be freezing over again)

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... z1l9iEhLuF

The supposed ‘consensus’ on man-made global warming is facing an inconvenient challenge after the release of new temperature data showing the planet has not warmed for the past 15 years.
The figures suggest that we could even be heading for a mini ice age to rival the 70-year temperature drop that saw frost fairs held on the Thames in the 17th Century.
Based on readings from more than 30,000 measuring stations, the data was issued last week without fanfare by the Met Office and the University of East Anglia Climatic Research Unit. It confirms that the rising trend in world temperatures ended in 1997.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... z1l9iQGqHV

Hmmmmm....

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I enjoyed reading the article, it was interesting, no doubt.

IMO there was way too much speculation, and very little science.

... but I have to say that more than likely any contact with ETs will end badly, that's assuming they're not already anally probing and controlling our leaders. Perhaps I am projecting the ills of humanities on a faceless, nameless, yet to be met ET race, but it doesn't seem likely that they'd be here with altruism in mind.

All I know is, if I ever meet an ET, unless it's a hot green chick, I'm sticking with the KOS mentality.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Thanks for that SaturnFX

I don't really have a opinion on it haven't done the research to actually say one way or the other. I agree though, deny ignorance at its most ignorant level. That's why I come here.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

You're cute

Forget global warming - it's Cycle 25 we need to worry about (and if NASA scientists are right the Thames will be freezing over again)

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... z1l9iEhLuF

The supposed ‘consensus’ on man-made global warming is facing an inconvenient challenge after the release of new temperature data showing the planet has not warmed for the past 15 years.
The figures suggest that we could even be heading for a mini ice age to rival the 70-year temperature drop that saw frost fairs held on the Thames in the 17th Century.
Based on readings from more than 30,000 measuring stations, the data was issued last week without fanfare by the Met Office and the University of East Anglia Climatic Research Unit. It confirms that the rising trend in world temperatures ended in 1997.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... z1l9iQGqHV

Hmmmmm....

Hmmmmm indeed.
That article has been fully debunked.
a clipped model showing the high point at one year, then a low point at the other year
and completely fail to mention the oceans temperature, the retreat of the glaciers, etc

basically its debunked trash

Rise above the corporate programming and skewed anti-science stooges
press the play button...I would link you to articles giving you the facts...matter of fact, here it is:
SkepticalScience
But I know you won't click that link as it may end up informing you of something.

Meh...continue to willfully spread false information propped up by a deceptive and half story from the daily mail.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join