It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney: "I'm Not Concerned About the Very Poor"

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
From the sounds of it, the OP took the message out of context. He's not hating on the poor people, he's just not concerned because he believes that they're ok. He went further to say that if he thinks they're not ok, he'll fix that. At any rate, since it doesn't look like Ron is gonna get in, I'll be hoping that Obama gets relected.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Freudian slip shows the nature of the man, my 80 year old friend and I are one of those, he's not concerned about. I knew they shouldn't put him as winner Newt is too full of scandals and Romney is too rich and out of touch with the average American. Heaven help us if they try to fix our safety net everytime Washington tries to fix something it gets more bent out of shape!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I don't like Romney but that sentence was taken out of context. His point was actually valid. He says he is focused on helping the middle class. Which unfortunately for the OP includes most of us with Internet access.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I'm not a big fan of Governor Romney...in point of fact, I'm not a big fan of any of the candidates, from either party. That said, I'm going to have to come to his defense on this issue. As others have said, interpreting the remark as "I don't care about the very poor" is to take it far, far out of context.

It's also not fair to put words in someone's mouth...for example, assuming that Governor Romney considers everyone not making (insert huge amount of money here) is "poor", or that he only cares about some vaguely-defined "investor class".

I know this is a radical idea (and probably a foolish one, to boot), but why not listen objectively to what he (and the other candidates, for that matter) are actually saying, and judge them by their actual words, and by their actions while in office. Call me strange, but at this point, I don't care where (or if) a candidate goes to church, how many times they were married, or whether they made their living as a farmer, factory worker, or a stock trader.

What I care about is what policies and plans a prospective president (sorry for the alliteration there!) brings to the table. I want to know where he/she/it intends to take the country, what kind of fiscal policy, foreign policy, and domestic agenda they have. Any and everything else (including my opinion of the candidate personally) has to go out the window. I don't know who I'll be voting for, come November, but I do know that I (and the country) can't afford to make the choice based on out-of-context remarks, personal dislike, or anything else other than who has the better plan for this nation. To chose based on any other basis (no matter how well intentioned) is to do a grave disservice to the US, to my fellow citizens, and even, in the long run, to myself.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CharlesMartel
As predicted, Romney was taken out of context. He also said that "I am not concerned about the very rich, because they are doing OK. It is the middle that I am concerned about."

I am sure someone will post a link to the whole thing.

He doesn't care about the rich?

Oh my GOD!

What a heartless bastage!

*sob*
*weep*

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brother Stormhammer

I know this is a radical idea (and probably a foolish one, to boot), but why not listen objectively to what he (and the other candidates, for that matter) are actually saying, and judge them by their actual words, and by their actions while in office.

Wow...radical. You mean actually treating people with the fairness we would like to be treated with? Wow. That would be a whole new dimension of discourse.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I can't stand any of the republican candidates, but what really gets my goat is the shear willful ignorance of those that participate in the US political system.

I mean, anyone with half a brain understands what this guy said is taken out of context, and used as a soundbyte to enforce some stereotype that one side needs in order to get their minority vote.

It is threads like this that constantly remind me why we have the government we have......look at the people electing them.

Here's your sign.

If it would help the OP I can find just as many things that can easily be taken out of context by ignorant, useful idiots from any political candidate.

Things can be taken out of context easily these days, because people are morons. Wish I could say it another way without sounding superior, but reality is what it is.

History will look back on this time period as the century of the 'useful idiot".

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
I can't stand Romeny so tell me all you Romney haters how much have you helped the poor personally?

Romney himself donates millions per year.

Typical Right winger basher thread.

As far as i've understood it, Arent charitable donations able to be written off? Because if so, he may donate millions, but it all comes back.....

But what have I done personally?

I used to see this woman walking with huge bags of groceries, about once every 2weeks, on my way home from work, along a main drag. when i first noticed her, I'd always be in the left lane, heavy traffic. The thing is, as traffic patterns vary, I'd always end up on the same street within a 45min window, so I'd see her at some point on the road. well the last time I seen her, I was surprised to see that she walked down the main drag, past all the bus stops and where the official bus line ended.

Though I was late for something, i made 2 u-turns(I always got stuck in the left lane), went back and gave her a lift. She thanked me, I accepted and made small talk on the way to drop her off. Surprisingly, This woman lived 11 miles from the store that she walked from!! she had 2 kids, single, working and walked 6 miles to the nearest bus stop, then shopped, reversing the process in return. Shocked that she lived past where i live by a longshot, when dropping her off, we exchanged numbers and I told her, just give me a call whenever you're shopping at the store and i'll make sure you get home, which she thanked me and agreed to, but I already had other plans...

When we parted ways and I went to my event(late) then back home, I stood in my garage and took inventory.
Daily driver, project vehicle, wifes car, "just in case" vehicle...Do 2 people REALLY need 4 PAID OFF cars? nope. I told my wife what happened and what I planned on doing, and she agreed, which surprised me!

I made sure Ms. lady got back from the store bi-weekly for a month, and the next time she called, I was in the "Just in case" vehicle heading home from work. Anticipating her eventual call, I made sure the car title was in the car and it was in good mechanical order. I picked her up, chatted as we usually did as I drove, then drove to my house. She was nervous as hell when i detoured off the path to her house, correcting me (left here, etc.).
Arriving at my house, I thanked HER for the ride, instructing her that the title was in the glove box and after she signed a BILL of SALE(of course, she did all the emotional displays one would), and met the wife, I went inside.

Either way, she remained in contact for about 2yrs, called us on a regular basis and was basically extremely happy. The car was affordable(taxes, mechanically) and helped her get a boost towards helping her in her life, as she explained, that one display gave her a huge boost and a break when she needed it.

And thats what counts. anyone can throw Blanket money at a charity, but real charity, to me, comes from making a positive effect on a ONE-2-ONE basis.

edit on 2-2-2012 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
While that may have been a slip of his tongue I do not believe that what he was was taking out of context. Those where his actual feelings. Most of the american government is Rich more so than the average american. The Rich do not represent the poors interest no matter how much they try to pretend. I am white and I will vote for the poorest person running. If that is Obama then he will get my vote.

I struggled for six years trying to finish college but because I was poor I was locked out and black balled from completing my education. until I see a president that will bring the poor up to par with the rich comments like this from any political candidate will not receive my vote. I know from experience the poor do not have a safety net when it comes to education, health care, a place to live, and having the food on the table with the bills paid as compared to the rich. There is no safety net unless you are talking about food stamps and no again when I was in college I applied for that and because I owned a truck that was paid off I was denied. There is no safety net.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I never understand when people are actually surprised when politicians say this kind of thing.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

waaaaaaaaaaiiiit a minute. if the newly poor who were middle class, are now stuffed in with the poor who were poor before, does that mean the newly poor who were middle class a couple years ago, get to hold the same title as the already poor, of being good for nothings and don't-deserve-its? something's not right about all this.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by dadgad

Republicans?

Democrats are the one who did the 1.1 Trillion bail out package.

According to the Audit (which is still in process) Obama has lent out 16 Trillion US dollars. 2007 - 2010

www.forbes.com...

----

One word: Democrats
edit on 2-2-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

Of course they are in essence the same. The same gang run by the same crooks. But there is a slight difference in ideology, even if it's just a public display.

Modern day Republicans are all like this. To them the only ones that matter are the middle-class and the rich. The lower class, the real poor people have no voice, no authority, they mean nothing for they produce nothing and are really nothing but an annoyance, like a mosquito.

Sound harsh, but they are harsh.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

and lo' and behold, most of the usa is now lower class and poor ,so they get written off as unimportant. they are going to use the plight of the poor as a jackhammer to hit everyone over the head and claim if you don't magically conjure up a job from the nothing, that you are a waste of space. don't get me started.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
From reading Romney's comments, it is clear that what he intended to say is being mis-represented. I don't for one second believe him, but the intent of his statement is clear.

What I find more interesting are remarks such as:

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
What do the very poor contribute to society anyway? Nothing, they are a worthless group, most (not all) of which cant keep or want a job (since they can get by on the handouts), all their handouts should be taken away and given to the working class to provide them the working and middle class with subsidized health care and subsidized housing. Free makes people even more lazy, subsidies makes things attainable during the hard times for those who work for it.

Emphasis added.

This is an excellent example of how well the propaganda machine (the GOP one in this case) works in this country.

Depending on the moment in US history one chooses, the emphasized text in the quote above can be replaced with:

Jews
Irish
Italians
Puerto Ricans
Blacks
Native Americans

and probably more. At various times, one group or another is singled out to be demonized based on little to no relevance. And interestingly enough, the rest of the above quote stays pretty much intact.

Are more than zero very poor people lazy dopers and good for nothing? Sure. So are more than zero middle class people, more than zero politicians and more than zero wealthy people. This is a meaningless factor...

The goal of the propaganda machines is to distract from real issues and focus on irrelevant ones.

And we are in fact in danger of demonizing the ultra wealthy. There is no doubt that they have been getting an essentially free ride for decades and there is a strong need to have a more equitable tax system such that the wealthy do in fact pay a fair share for the benefits they get from the society.

But they (the ultra wealthy, even Mitt himself) are not demons. Well, maybe Gingrich is some kind of demon... (KIDDING, folks...)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by USarmyFL

Originally posted by dadgad
One word: Republicans

Aww come on.. Don't you know by now that they are all the same? There is no Republican or democrat, it is "them" as a whole. Same agenda, different mask. I suck at analogies but compare a horse to a zebra. So what if one has stripes, it's still a horse.

U

Yes my friend. I know its the same gang of crooks. But there is a slight difference in how they present themselves.

Modern day Republicans are all like this. Degenerate turds squeezed out by some demonic entity.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Not that I care for him, but he did say he would fix it if it is needed.

You can't assume that desiring the end of one system means no desire to reparable it with something better.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
He's so out of touch with real people that he doesn't even know how insane he sounds. He has "slipped" a few times, but he isn't even aware of it. He thinks the nearly $400K he makes a year for speaking engagements is "not very much"... Source

What do we really expect? This guy's TOTALLY out of touch.

Obama's not going to have a very tough job ahead if Mitt keeps this up. All Obama will have to do is keep quiet and Mitt will bury himself!

Oh I don't know, we elected Bush jr twice and everytime he opened his mouth he made my skin crawl.

So anything is possible.

link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by dadgad

and lo' and behold, most of the usa is now lower class and poor ,so they get written off as unimportant. they are going to use the plight of the poor as a jackhammer to hit everyone over the head and claim if you don't magically conjure up a job from the nothing, that you are a waste of space. don't get me started.

Exactly. They are living in an alternate reality in which the underclass does not exist. They are aware that it is somewhere out there, but anyone that got there got there by his own choice, because America is a free country!

link   
a little tidbit of interest.
the higher ups in his uppity up place of origin, have access to sealed files of your life and they do and will use them against you. if you were reprimanded by the police, when you were a kid for "stealing" your buddy's bicycle, and it went in your personal file, the uppity ups of his place of origin, will use it against you. this is why i say groups like anonymous and religions that require your salvation should be contingent on some invisible goal of righting wrongs that they don't personally have to forgive you for, EVER, is the wrong freakin' approach to human beings. and these uppity ups know it. which means, michael jackson was right

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Just seen on Yahoo, no wonder he is not worried as he is apart of the elite dynasty of nobles and is distant cousins with the Bush family.

Looks like more of the same old autocrats, telling the populace to eat cake

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join