It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Letter from freed slave to former master draws attention

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63

Originally posted by groingrinder
That former slave seems to be better educated than lots of kids today. What a well written letter.

He may have had someone help him write it. Most slaves did not receive much of an education. Some however were quite literate. Either way this is a very interesting letter. I wonder if the continuing desire for reparations has anything to do with it's making recent headlines.

Star from me.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a solisiter of some sort who knew some law.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation
What an interesting read. Where is the original letter?

The atrocities that have been committed in the name of god make me sick. How do you justify having your fellowman for a slave? I am rather surprised that there is little or no info as to the enslavement of the native population: the native Indians.

Were Africans the only slaves?

Should the colonizers apologize for the heinous crimes they committed? oh that's right, they are dead. we are different. Hold on a bit, the idea they upheld is still holding the world in captivity right?

Shouldn't we get rid of this god idea and philosophy because history has shown us that no good can ever come out of it?

Most people don't know that many IRISH were slaves as well.

Also, why are you blaming GOD for this. If people followed what the Bible REALLY says, instead of following PEOPLE who skew it to follow their own agendas, the world would be a much better place.

Although, the Bible also says the world is in the hand of the wicked one right now.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
this letter was originally published on aug 22, 1865.
i'm not sure how to enlarge this link in order to read it.
source

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

Just goes to show that racism is alive and well all over the world.

And it is encouraged in many subtle ways by the EVILS who want us to forget we are all human with the same concerns and desires in life.

But change starts with each individual.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
You have to wonder...if he'd gotten the money, would he have actually gone back?
$10,000 went a long, long way back then.

I know I wouldn't.

the colonel shot at him twice, killed a wounded union soldier in cold blood and harboured rebels. not to mention the fact he was his slave for 32 years.

if he kept that money, the colonel would have saddled up and locked n' load.

it looked like interesting time's america back then. no shortage of excitement. for both slaves, yankees and confederates.

better than what most americans are looking forward to: iphone 5.

edit on 1-2-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Very small percentage sir, the majority went on to have lucrative careers and form the banks and corporations that continue to enslave all races today. You can still find plenty of plantations in the south with their original houses still sitting on them.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

And your point is.....? They got everything they deserved. The plantation owners made a very decent living off of the backs of others, therefore they deserve no sympathy. There's a saying I have: "Self-inflicted misery deserves no pity." That goes for the crack-head that had a stroke, so now can barely walk, all the way up to the banker who loses his family because of malfeasance. Come on, man, there is too much going wrong in the world for you to be sympathizing with slavers, or anyone else that made their own bed.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost

That's called "comeuppance".

No it's called legalized thievery, robbery and murder. In those days they didn't have laws against that like we do now.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

"Although you shot at me twice before I left you, I did not want to hear of your being hurt, and am glad you are still living."

This is the most touching line in the letter. Much respect to Mr. Jourdon.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
this post made my day.....good job!

to bad some people have to make about themselves....

just enjoy it for what it is.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I think that Jourdan's letter could teach so many folks today a lesson in civility, honor, and kindness.
Considering how well this was written, I am sure that the person he mentioned that the funds could be sent to was the hand that penned the note, but I can hear Jourdan's voice in the words. His concern is for his family, his children's education, and the dignity and honor of his kinswomen if they were to return. How many men do that nowadays? His concern for his former master is laudable, and in a simple word, noble. He is, and was NOBLE.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Smells like bs a mile away... lol... "letter written by freed slave"... and written like this... quite an educated slave we got there.

Well... ppl believe what they want I guess... to each his own. I'm not buying it tho. Smells like some sort of propaganda, I'm just trying to figure out the intent...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

You know i find it interesting how people such as yourself are so against him writing the letter. FYI not all slave masters were monsters like the rest. atleast a good one percent treated their slaves like human beings(taught them how to read and write) as they were and those i would bet half my life that they sided with the north during the war.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Jourdon Anderson dictated the letter, he did not write it his self.

LETTER FROM A FREEDMAN TO HIS OLD MASTER.

[Written just as he dictated it.]
Dayton, Ohio, August 7, 1865.

This letter is contained in the book:

Title: The Freedmen's Book

Author: Lydia Maria Child

Release Date: January 3, 2012 [EBook #38479]

Regardless, the words of forgiveness and understanding are that of Jourdon's.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Few people realise that slavery was still LEGAL until 1975.

The Republic of Mali was the very last country in the world where slavery was still legal.

In theory, anyone even an American citizen, could go to Mali and literally buy and own a houseboy until 1975.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

So how come a former slave from 1860 has much better penmanship, and a better grasp of the English language than about 70% of our country now ?

This made me proud to read that. I'm an American. Caucasian, yet I have never felt more proud to call that former slave a fellow American.

The wit and wisdom in his letter was awesome. The intelligence to ask for past wages..he obviously is smarter than the master he used to serve.

Am I the only one who loves this letter ? one of the coolest things I've read.

That is how to respectfully take a jab at somebody who deserves a whole lot more than that, while still maintaining your dignity and pride.

What a cool person. Jourdan Anderson for president of life !

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Smells like bs a mile away... lol... "letter written by freed slave"... and written like this... quite an educated slave we got there.

Well... ppl believe what they want I guess... to each his own. I'm not buying it tho. Smells like some sort of propaganda, I'm just trying to figure out the intent...

Any 12 year old from the 1940's would school you in almost every school subject that is taught now a days.

Kids back then were learning college math in like 7th...8th grade.

You are not as intelligent as you think.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join