It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Plans Prequels to Watchmen Series

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

No hero’s tale ever really ends, whether it is Odysseus’ journey home from the Trojan War or Sherlock Holmes’s exploits after his tumble over the Reichenbach Falls. And now Watchmen, one of the most influential comic-book works of the last 25 years, is about to yield additional chapters, a plan that has already drawn the outrage of its original author.

On Wednesday DC Entertainment is expected to announce that its DC Comics imprint intends to publish seven comic-book mini-series that will continue the stories of the adventurers introduced in Watchmen, which was written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons.

Source

I'm not really sure how to feel about this. On the one hand this is Watchmen, the series that essentially legitimized comics as an artform. Like Moore has said, "As far as I know there weren't that many prequels or sequels to Moby-Dick. On the other hand I can see some legitimate reasons for doing this other than money. Fortunately it looks like DC has tapped some great writers and artists to work on this project (although I personally would have liked to see Grant Morrison doing something.) I guess only time will tell. Will this be a horrific car crash you can't look away from, or will it add new depth to one of the greatest stories told in the medium?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

it's cool that new generations might be exposed to the greatest comic book story of all time, but it IS the greatest comic book story of all time (sure, that's arguable) for a reason. Personally, I think you should leave well enough alone and if you really want to reintroduce the story then just do an anthology rerelease. But I'm with Moore; we'll just have to wait and see. Something tells me that it will look and smell like a cash-in, though.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
has hollywood got any original thoughts left? everything is either a re-make, re-write or based on comicbook/video game.

they are apparently doing a prequel to alien also...even though i love the first 2.. i have no intention of watching them. hollywood is over

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
has hollywood got any original thoughts left?
No, they don't.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

This isn't a movie. This is seven limited comic series based on the characters of Watchmen. It will then conclude with a one-shot epilogue.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

These are comics genius, can't you read and the alien prequel will kick ass, mark my words!!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I certainly think it's exciting. I love Watchmen as much as everyone else on here. My only concern is that it's being listed as a prequel. A prequel??? I mean, with a prequel there'll be no Dr. Manhattan! I'm not certain I would enjoy it with the good Doc.

new topics

top topics

join