It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Can GOOGLE read your mind?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Have you noticed lately that when you Google a topic for information, you are rarely surprised by the results that come up on your computer screen?

In fact, you often find yourself saying, "Hey, that's what I expected!" Or saying, "I knew that already! Why did I bother to Google it?"

Googling a topic for information is like a kid having found where his parents hide your Christmas gifts, then on Christmas morning acting surprised when the package is opened.

Could it possibly be that Google can read your mind?

The more often you use Google, the more of your mind Google can read, and anticipate?




posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The results you get on Google are unfortunately not the results others get when Googling the same things. Companies like Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. track your surfing behavior and web-protocol and then try to deliver stuff that "matches" what you supposedly want. This means you are not seeing Google as-it-is, but within your own reality-bubble. There are ways to turn off Google tracking your stuff to get more objective results.
edit on 1-2-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Whatever you do, do not try shopping for furry handcuffs on your elderly parents laptop.
It's just a recipe for disaster.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The results you get on Google are unfortunately not the results others get when Googling the same things. Unfortunately, companies like Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. track your surfing behavior and web-protocol and then try to deliver stuff that "matches" what you supposedly want. This means you are not seeing Google as-it-is, but within your own reality-bubble. There are ways to turn off Google tracking your stuff to get more objective results.


Then the mind is an easy thing to read by AI.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   


companies like Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. track your surfing behavior and web-protocol and then try to deliver stuff that "matches" what you supposedly want.


me thinks OP is too far behind on the SOPa PIPa ACTa scenario thats happening now. they don't read your mind, they read your cookies.
edit on 1/2/2012 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)


ed: they don't have 'AI' good enough to do what your thinking, yet.
edit on 1/2/2012 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Whatever you do, do not try shopping for furry handcuffs on your elderly parents laptop.
It's just a recipe for disaster.


That's even more of a reason, old people carry more weight with authority than younger people, just wait until senators and mp's start receiving crap cause of the stuff their kids look at, then we might see something change..but dont hold your breath. Use stuff like Ghostery it screws up their tracking



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tonycliffs
 


Well typically I do end up having that happen, but its more because I use Google to confirm the finer details of a topic (like a date or a name) or because I'm checking spelling.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Whatever you do, do not try shopping for furry handcuffs on your elderly parents laptop.
It's just a recipe for disaster.


Now, that would be a perfect script for an episode of 'Two and a Half Men.'



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Cookies?

Is that code word for hiding the fact that AI is more intelligent than you realize?

When does 'sentient' life begin for AI, anyway? At conception of plugging it in for the first time? Six months after plugging AI in for the first time?

Or, is AI passed the demarcation line that it is plugging itself in?

And they tell you it is merely 'Cookies.'

And you believe them?



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by tonycliffs
 


Yes, they're called tracking cookies. I used the word "cookies" and will now receive ATS ads for Oreo's, which I could really go for right about now, but wait, how did they know that? Jesus tap dancin' Christ, they really can read my mind!



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by tonycliffs
 


Well typically I do end up having that happen, but its more because I use Google to confirm the finer details of a topic (like a date or a name) or because I'm checking spelling.


Sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of dates that Google supplies.

I've found it wise to double check the original dates supplied by my first Google search.

For reasons that are...ah...unique, I've noticed that Google has intentionally supplied the wrong information.

Could that be a form of manipulation of public opinion?



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
reply to post by tonycliffs
 


Yes, they're called tracking cookies. I used the word "cookies" and will now receive ATS ads for Oreo's, which I could really go for right about now, but wait, how did they know that? Jesus tap dancin' Christ, they really can read my mind!


Maybe Google is connected to the tiny cameras in the store where you shop for Oreos?

Try buying Keeblers once, see if there is a difference next time you Google?



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   


Use stuff like Ghostery it screws up their tracking


way ahead of ya xD but only to a point, geocache through browsers isn't defeated...let alone the other 100 backdoors in your windows system that just happen to be there...*cough microsoft cough..

I guess the point being google can tell you what you want to hear because thats what they use all that data they stole from you for. mindgames. at any rate I am repeating myself for the millionth time, have fun with that.

ed: your not funny and nor is what corporations do with your data.
edit on 1/2/2012 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The reason you are getting this feeling is because of something called "filter bubbles"

en.wikipedia.org...

Basically it comes down to the fact that each person has their search results tailored to them specifically by the use of an algorithm that checks your search history, location and click behavior. Google does this, Facebook does this.

Welcome to the internet.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
In short, is Google more than an electronic dictionary?

Is Google one function of an intricate web of spyware and tracking devices all interconnected, embyonic like?

How in the heck do they know who has won an election before the votes are counted?

Is someone there waiting for you all the time?

I think AI has a lot more abilities than most suspect.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Funny, this morning I was looking for contract jobs in my field, and in Google search I typed in "How to find contract jobs" WITHOUT typing my field, and on the first page I got results for the field I was looking for, lol. I was left thinking "how did google know I was looking for contract jobs in THAT field?" Lucky coincidence I guess



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Razziazoid
The reason you are getting this feeling is because of something called "filter bubbles"

en.wikipedia.org...

Basically it comes down to the fact that each person has their search results tailored to them specifically by the use of an algorithm that checks your search history, location and click behavior. Google does this, Facebook does this.

Welcome to the internet.


Interesting. That word 'algorithm.'

Hmans are no longer a number. They are an 'algorithm.'

So, okay, maybe it's not such a big deal that AI can read our minds? Maybe our minds are that easily read? It is a feat that can be accomplished by a carney sideshow mind reader?

Or, is AI just toying with us?



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3headed
Funny, this morning I was looking for contract jobs in my field, and in Google search I typed in "How to find contract jobs" WITHOUT typing my field, and on the first page I got results for the field I was looking for, lol. I was left thinking "how did google know I was looking for contract jobs in THAT field?" Lucky coincidence I guess


Coincidence?

Synchronicity?

Your an algorithmic subcode?



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join