It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world's biggest iceberg: 19-mile crack in the ice breaking away from Antarctica

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Why is everyone panicking? The scientist from NASA says this happens regularly.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Seems like we see one every year and it is always accompanied by fanatical doom and gloom predictions. Then you never hear about it again.

Oh well. Interesting article all the same.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Originally posted by tarifa37
reply to post by boo1981

The implications could be huge.Once all the floating ice has broken free there would be nothing to stop the glacier from sliding into the sea and thus raising sea levels.

except that it's a piece of ice that's already in the water, thus, already contributing to the sea level and not affecting it after breaking off.
I KNOW thats why if you read my statement properly ( and that also means all the people who gave a star to this reply) you will note that I said there " would be nothing to stop the glacier from sliding into the sea and thus raising sea levels" meaning the GLACIER that is resting on top of the land would have no ice in front of it to stop the gacier from slipping from the land and falling into the sea THUS RAISING sea levels.
Please read this and this means you star givers

en.wikipedia.org...

Glaciers form on land, often elevated, and are distinct from the much thinner sea ice and lake ice that form on the surface of bodies of water.

edit on 2-2-2012 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
This sort of thing, with icebergs breaking off of glaciers, used to happen every ten years, now it seems like it is happening every couple of years. In the not too distant future, it will probably be happening several times a year.

That is the problem.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I guess unless we go there and take a picture ourselves and put it on here then were never know what happened. As usual were the last to know anything. Just got to sit back and wait.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Tow it to Africa to provide fresh drinking water for millions!

Hehe best comment I have ever read on ats.

Oh..

And I concur

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
10,000 year old martini's! I had a couple when I was with "Deep Freeze" in the 80's. The scientists would bring in ice core samples and we would use some of the ice in cocktails. It pops and fizzes. Yummy.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

..but, but, but.. that would mean helping the indigent populace of the planet. That would mean one hell of a setback for the current systematic genocide of the world's poor. Can't be having that now can we

/sarcasm

Seriously though, I know I've stated that myself on at least a couple of occasions. If they're so worried, develop a reliant means of producing clean drinking water for like.. Well pretty much anyone that wants some. I'm sure there are enough thirsty folk to at least hamper the oncoming rise in sea levels?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Realtruth whistles.............Come here little Iceberg

Snow cones for everyone!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Well iirc if all the ice in the world melted ie glaciers, all the ice on land Greenland, Antarctica etc world sea level to would rise 85ft so one glacier wouldn't cause that great a change in level.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Antarctica and Greenland alone would cause the oceans to rise over 200 feet, or around 67 M, as calculated.

www.scientificamerican.com...

The Glaciers in the mountains and places like Alaska are already melting much faster than Greenland and Antarctica, and they would add considerable more.

What we are seeing is that the melt rate and ocean level rise are continuing to accelerate.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Wouldn't all that fresh water have an effect on the gulf stream,
that runs past the uk.....not sure if thats a silly question.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join