It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Time Jumpers Writing Contest [TJWC][Winners Announced]

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Don't speak for me. I challenge the two of you to the death, by way of the pen.

Let the games begin!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

The next contest will be posted before the day is out.

I personally was gonna write more entries for this contest, but when I sailed to Flagland early on, I knew I had to take a break. I scooped first and second the last time, so I didn't want to repeat that episode. I skipped a few because of it.

There are two styles of writing here on ATS. One is the honest, personal telling of a story. The second is the flavored hook version, tailored to the membership. The first is what everyone does naturally, and the second is what takes skill.

I'm telling you this because it is how it works. Write a good story, and it'll get ignored. Write the same story with a hook, i.e., the title, etc., and it'll get flags.

They used to have a panel of judges, but it proved too cumbersome, and they switched to the flag system. I've asked around, and several mods have helped explain it to me. I'd like to revise the flag system, because it in no way examines the writing content, only the popularity. I, alas, have no alternative solution. The flag system works, as long as you include a sneaky hook.

Having to add a "hook" of sorts may bother some people. Well, honestly, this is ATS, and you kinda develop a thick skin after a while. One of the most amazing things I've seen here is the ability of members to get along. I read flaming threads, ouch, and have watched personalities interact. My own mind sees it in a 3 dimensional reality, so for me, reading is something I cherish. Good writing develops a complex "virtual" world, and best of all, it's obligatory.

My advice to all participants is to work on your "hook". That is, the combination of words that will get us to read your story. That's fair, right?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The new contest has been posted.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

My advice to all participants is to work on your "hook". That is, the combination of words that will get us to read your story. That's fair, right?

I gave some thought to this. In the end, I realized the writer's ability to create a hook (or even headline) and incorporate that into a story is just the same tact to write and have people read within a normal audience.

So in essence, it's everything that writing is supposed to be about.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Let the games begin!

I accept, with the condition we duel with one another with the keyboard, instead of the pen. Pens, Bah.

Do YOU accept?

(All in good fun, of course!)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That is the existential essence of the nutshell.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Let the games begin!

I accept, with the condition we duel with one another with the keyboard, instead of the pen. Pens, Bah.

Do YOU accept?

(All in good fun, of course!)

Of course!

May the best man win.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Let the games begin!

Challenge accepted.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

The next contest will be posted before the day is out.

I personally was gonna write more entries for this contest, but when I sailed to Flagland early on, I knew I had to take a break. I scooped first and second the last time, so I didn't want to repeat that episode. I skipped a few because of it.

There are two styles of writing here on ATS. One is the honest, personal telling of a story. The second is the flavored hook version, tailored to the membership. The first is what everyone does naturally, and the second is what takes skill.

I'm telling you this because it is how it works. Write a good story, and it'll get ignored. Write the same story with a hook, i.e., the title, etc., and it'll get flags.

They used to have a panel of judges, but it proved too cumbersome, and they switched to the flag system. I've asked around, and several mods have helped explain it to me. I'd like to revise the flag system, because it in no way examines the writing content, only the popularity. I, alas, have no alternative solution. The flag system works, as long as you include a sneaky hook.

Having to add a "hook" of sorts may bother some people. Well, honestly, this is ATS, and you kinda develop a thick skin after a while. One of the most amazing things I've seen here is the ability of members to get along. I read flaming threads, ouch, and have watched personalities interact. My own mind sees it in a 3 dimensional reality, so for me, reading is something I cherish. Good writing develops a complex "virtual" world, and best of all, it's obligatory.

Thanks for the advice. It was an observation I myself noted and contemplated implementing.

Given that this is the first time anybody outside my family and very close circle of friends have ever seen any creative writing from me, I think I did moderately well for a first outing.

I look forward to learning from you all.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join