It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is so cold everywhere in the world! Are we experiencing a small Ice Age?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
2012 has started out very strange.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

That maybe the next problem. No real freeze to kill the insect larvae. may make for an unbearable spring and summer. maybe there will be the "locust swarms"

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Apparently you are not keeping up with the entire world’s weather.

This has been one of the mildest winters in years in the Continental US.

Record LOW snow fall through out,

Record High temps through out.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sd211212
2012 has started out very strange.
Very strange,

TextCauses of Global Climate Change Climate change is controlled primarily by cyclical eccentricities in Earth's rotation and orbit, as well as variations in the sun's energy output. "Greenhouse gases" in Earth's atmosphere also influence Earth's temperature, but in a much smaller way. Human additions to total greenhouse gases play a still smaller role, contributing about 0.2% - 0.3% to Earth's greenhouse effect. Major Causes of Global Temperature Shifts (1) Astronomical Causes 11 year and 206 year cycles: Cycles of solar variability ( sunspot activity ) 21,000 year cycle: Earth's combined tilt and elliptical orbit around the Sun ( precession of the equinoxes ) 41,000 year cycle: Cycle of the +/- 1.5° wobble in Earth's orbit ( tilt ) 100,000 year cycle: Variations in the shape of Earth's elliptical orbit ( cycle of eccentricity ) (2) Atmospheric Causes Heat retention: Due to atmospheric gases, mostly gaseous water vapor (not droplets), also carbon dioxide, methane, and a few other miscellaneous gases-- the "greenhouse effect" Solar reflectivity: Due to white clouds, volcanic dust, polar ice caps (3) Tectonic Causes Landmass distribution: Shifting continents (continental drift) causing changes in circulatory patterns of ocean currents. It seems that whenever there is a large land mass at one of the Earth's poles, either the north pole or south pole, there are ice ages. Undersea ridge activity: "Sea floor spreading" (associated with continental drift) causing variations in ocean displacement.
source(www.geocraft.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
its been the warmest winter i can recall here in bama, im even hearing frogs and insects its weird.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It was 62 degrees in South East, PA yesterday....I would call that a heat wave not a mini ice age.

There is climate change and then there is grasping for straws, this is an example of the latter.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I know it's the Daily Fail, but I was cruising it in between here and ebay...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
Apparently people are suffering in other parts of Europe too.
It's cold here in my part of the UK, but not a sniff of snow. It's so damn sunny it almost looks like a summers day.
Oddness indeed.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I'm in Florida, there is no cold here.

So no the world everywhere isn't experiencing cold.

I can think of maybe 5 days of cold since "winter." It was cold enough I needed heat, which I lack so I had to use my stove. It was in the 30s or so at night. Last year and the year before it was this cold for weeks at a time. This year there hasn't been much cold. I can walk outside and go to the beach if I want to...Did so last week. I got a little sun, doesn't sound like a small ice age.

I do hope this month it gets colder, but who knows. The weather here hasn't been normal to what we are use to.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Yes,but they predict something else,

TextAs mentioned above, the 2011-2012 winter season will come in with a bang and could absolutely be brutal from the Northern Plains to the Northeast and extending as far south as the southeastern United States. The extreme cold that could make its presence known in eastern portions of the United States will not be an indication of what will occur for the entire winter as some of these same regions could see a major thaw by mid to late January. Even Florida could see several nights of freezing temperatures in the early winter season weeks, but overall, most of Florida will end up mild. So just because your region may be put in a milder region does not mean that you will not experience brutally cold temperatures and snowy conditions at some point in this winter season.
source(firsthandweather.com...

edit on 1-2-2012 by diamondsmith because: y

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Western New York had an almost record breaking warm January. Our overall snowfall for the winter has been under by at least a foot or more, and we are notorious for our brutal winters (Buffalo area).

As I sit here typing this, there is no snow on the ground, it is raining, and it is in the low 50's. Has been for 3 days now. This is February 1st....we should have at least a foot of hard pack snow on the ground and whatever added on to that. No ice age here.

-TS

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
There is actually a dispute between scientists. Most believe that the sun will be going through a cool period, with dramatically less Solar flares and such, resulting in what they describe as a "Mini Ice Age," This is where temperatures world wide do decrease as a result of the sun. The last mini ice age occured in the 1700's.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This has been the warmest winter I can remember.
I kind of wish there was a small Ice Age.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I think they knew something,

TextThe link with La Nina, which occurs every three to five years is that it is thought to create low pressure fronts thousands of miles away by its impact on upper air currents. Even the Met office has said that we could be facing a mini ice-age like the one which struck Britain and Northern Europe 300 years ago. These extreme cold winter weather conditions have the potential to bring the country to a halt and cause fatalities, which is why councils across the country are stockpiling thousands of tonnes of salt and grit. A salt and grit reserve stockpile of 2 million tonnes is held by the Department for Transport with 500 gritters and 20 snow blowing trucks at the standby. There are many schools of scientific thought on the reason behind the specific climate change mechanism driving the colder winters we have suffered for the past 3 years, but solar activity combined with man made global warning are the two main agreed propagators of these events. It all depends which scientist you talk to and on what day….. Read more: www.economicvoice.com...
source(www.economicvoice.com... k/50024459#axzz1l8qpHnnt

link   
reply to post by daaskapital

The last such solar minimums occurred during the Little Ice Age - they did not cause it
With temperatures so much warmer today (and possibly rising) any such future solar minimum will have much less effect.

Meanwhile, despite what the media would have you believe, it's cold in Britain - just a tad cooler than it has been so far in what was shaping up to be a very mild winter. Temps this week are not expected to drop any lower than we would expect to see every winter. And there's very little snow about.

link   

Originally posted by Segador
This has been the warmest winter I can remember.
I kind of wish there was a small Ice Age.

I think it would be cool.
(pun intended)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Ah, thanks for clearing it up mate

Do you believe that it is Summer down here in Aus, yet most of this season has been cold! Funny.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This is the most unseasonably warm winter I have seen in a long time. We may have a couple of more cold snaps, but nothing extreme. I'm already getting in the mood to plant my vegetable garden.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I live in Ohio, it's been in the upper 50's the last 2 days, we should have 3-4 inches of snow on the ground and we have none. We are way below are snow totals this year and average temperature is way above normal for December and January.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Maybe this warming could be the beginning of a little Ice Age,

TextThe team used the Community Climate System Model, which was developed by scientists at NCAR and the Department of Energy with colleagues at other organizations, to test the effects of volcanic cooling on Arctic sea ice extent and mass. The model, which simulated various sea ice conditions from about 1150 to 1700 A.D., showed several large, closely spaced eruptions could have cooled the Northern Hemisphere enough to trigger the expansion of Arctic sea ice. The model showed that sustained cooling from volcanoes would have sent some of the expanding Arctic sea ice down along the eastern coast of Greenland until it eventually melted in the North Atlantic. Since sea ice contains almost no salt, when it melted the surface water became less dense, preventing it from mixing with deeper North Atlantic water. This weakened heat transport back to the Arctic and created a self-sustaining feedback on the sea ice long after the effects of the volcanic aerosols subsided, according to the simulations. The researchers set solar radiation at a constant level in the climate models. The simulations indicated that the Little Ice Age likely would have occurred without decreased summer solar radiation at the time, Miller says.
source(wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Youre kidding right, im in Texas right now and its friggin spring.........'

Its so warm here the gnats have hatched and are flying around, plants are blooming and grass is still green....

Its been in the 70s.........

do you research any of your articles?

Naturally you havent replied to any of the people who say its been record breaking warm, and carter tho those who are in the colder areas..........

Please address the posts, which are the majority of them, that go against your OP
edit on 1-2-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join