It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is so cold everywhere in the world! Are we experiencing a small Ice Age?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by frugal

My guess is the BP oil spill slowed down the Atlantic belt underwater currents. No warm waters for Europe.
Among many other reasons,like polar ice cap is melting.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by RumET

A very Frozen and water-less Russian Citizen, who can barely hit the keys of his keyboard due to cold
It's sad to be so cold where you live,I really hope the weather will improve soon,and all this winter and low temperatures will go,but then the winter could move to other places.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Among many other reasons,like polar ice cap is melting.

.,,,,,,,During what you call an "ice age"????

See the disconnect?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RumET

Thank you for the heads up! No im located in Østafjells, Buskerud. In the heart of Norway! Just need to spread a little propoganda
in my area there is pretty cold in the winter time. As I said: down to almost -25c. Sorry for the misunderstadings this may have lead to. And yes in some counties there are eternal ice(cream) and people playing Hardingfele in the streets. Mostly in the summertime. Med hjertelig hilsen buskerud fylkeskommune

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
exceptionally warm weather in Seattle right now....Totally clear skies and like 60 F, very unusual for early february....

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Here, In my country, there was a snowfall, so massive, that we've never seen in around in 25 years, I had to carve out the way for the people to move. Which is very very unusual here.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismir

He is not saying an ice age he is talking a mini ice age. Something like what happened a few hundred years ago. When we last had a mini ice age. We have just had three exceptionally cold winters in a row and some scientists have predicted we may enter a mini ice age. Something to do with the period of inactivity of the sun which has been recorded over the last decade or so.

The question is worth exploring and I dont have the answer...

Try reading the OP....

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

My guess is the BP oil spill slowed down the Atlantic belt underwater currents. No warm waters for Europe. People have forgotton there would be consequences to polluting the water with oil and chemical disperants.

Its not the oil that has caused the currents to shift. It is the fresh water that is melting on off the glaciers. In greenland the current is slowing down the fuels the golf stream which keeps the likes of the UK warm.

A relatively small amount of oil is not going to have an affect on the thermohalined currents..

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'll live in NE USA, Massachusetts, and it's been extremely warm compared to normal, but last year we had numerous blizzards and a record year of snow. Very different than last year, but on the warmer scale, although worries me for this summer as being in the south east of MA, we didn't get hit bad from the hurricane that came up here last year. My worry here is that since this winter didn't get as cold, it may have made the waters stay warmer, meaning, hurricanes could possibly be stronger this coming hurricane season. As much as I live for destructive weather, it worries me at the same time.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
When it's in the 60's in the Midwest in January, it's kind of hard to relate. I saw this video and get your point. Hope things warm up if you in suffering.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Something to do with the period of inactivity of the sun which has been recorded over the last decade or so
That is the point the low activity of the sun combined with sun magnetic pole reversal,

TextSolar activity remains at very low levels. Sunspots 1410 and 1413 remain stable as they rotate towards the northwest limb. A small new sunspot formed at mid latitude and was numbered 1414. This regions already looks to be fading away.
source(solarham.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Why is so warm? Could be this,

TextCarbon dioxide that is not absorbed by rainforest is absorbed by the oceans instead, acidifying the oceans and dissolving calcium carbonate from shells and coral and releasing trapped carbon dioxide into a vicious increasing cycle in the sea water. In addition, the increasing acidity is lowering the oceans ability to capture oxygen and creating oceanic dead zones. The extra greenhouse gasses heat the ocean as well as the atmosphere. This places the ocean species that are temperature and chemistry sensitive at risk and the potential for the collapse of the other part of the Earth's lungs, the photo plankton. Massive die off of coral has already been noted. Though heating of the oceans contribute to evaporation and cloud formation, it does nothing to lock away carbon either as calcium carbonate or in plant material. It does escalate the scenario for super storms that brew over heated oceans and make landfall as intense hurricanes as the weather seeks to balance extremes of heat and cold.
source(syzygyastro.hubpages.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Thank you for that video,I am sorry for poor people, I hope the very low temperatures will go away ,and they will not suffer that much.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Strange weather last night - very cold rain and it was freezing within minutes, icicles on every car and house. Never experienced a 'wet-freeze' before.

Usually when I see things freezing in our climes it's always dry and still, but last night it was raining and sticking into ice on every surface.

Odd.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
You should see the weather over here in the UK -10 temperatures for around the past week and heavy snow last night. Where i live down East we had 10cm in snow. Mini Ice Age? Maybe Maybe not.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Strange weather last night - very cold rain and it was freezing within minutes, icicles on every car and house. Never experienced a 'wet-freeze' before.
This is happening very often in Canada and in other parts of the world with very big economic losses.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Narcissous

Not only there,

TextThe cold snap has spread across the Mediterranean and into North Africa with heavy snowfall in Algeria. Officials say at least 16 people have died and at least 122 have been injured. The Algerian capital, Algiers, saw snow of at least 10cm deep, the first in eight years.
source(www.euronews.net...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by avvie

It's all over Europe..or what is left of it,

TextAlgeria turned white by rare snowfall The cold snap has spread across the Mediterranean and into North Africa with heavy snowfall in Algeria. Officials say at least 16 people have died and at… 05/02/2012 Italy: Rome struggles with more snow – nocomment Rome’s Colosseum was closed for a second successive day on Saturday, as tourists and locals faced disruptions following a rare snowfall which blanketed the… 05/02/2012 Europe slows down as big freeze takes hold The first snowfall in over 20 years in Italy’s capital has left the city eerily quiet. Iconic tourist attractions the Colosseum and Roman Forum have been… 05/02/2012 Ukraine’s big freeze claims more lives Officials in Ukraine said 122 people have now died in the country’s coldest winter for six years. Temperatures have dropped as low as minus 33 degrees… 04/02/2012 Icy plunge in Siberia Members of a local winter swiming club warm up on the bank of the Yenisei River before going for a swim in an air temperature around minus 25 degree Celsius… 04/02/2012 Big freeze tightens its grip on Europe The big freeze has tightened its grip on Europe. The death toll has risen as temperatures have dropped and snow has swept across the continent from the… 04/02/2012 Cold threatens turnout for anti-Putin gathering Unusually cold weather could reduce the amount of protesters expected to attend an anti-Putin march in Moscow on Saturday. Opposition figure Boris Nemtsov… 04/02/2012 The high cost of poor insulation in Ukraine With temperatures falling as low as -30 at night in Ukraine during the cold spell, experts claim gas vital for keeping warm is being wasted. Poor… 04/02/2012 Brussels homeless battle big freeze It’s cold, very cold in Europe. The number of people who have died over the last few days because of the freezing conditions, especially in central and… 03/02/2012 More than 200 dead in Europe’s big chill At least 220 people have died in the past week throughout Europe, victims of widespread severe winter weather. Worst hit have been Ukraine and Poland which… 03/02/2012 Deadly cold Europe Shattering Siberian cold rolling over Europe banished what had been a mild winter. Ukraine got the worst of it, the temperature sliding fatally low. More than… 03/02/2012 Night time cold war for Ukraine’s homeless For the homeless of Ukraine, the polar weather is a matter of life and death. There is some relief from the bitter conditions at government shelters. Ten… 03/02/2012 Europe Weekly: Brussels feels the freeze In Europe Weekly this week we look back at the latest EU summit in Brussels to save the euro and efforts by the bloc’s leaders to impose stricter budget… 03/02/2012 Europe’s homeless dying in arctic conditions Officials in Ukraine say 38 more people have died in severe winter weather over the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of dead in the past week to… 03/02/2012 Over 100 killed by cold snap in Ukraine Officials in Ukraine say 38 more people have died in severe winter weather over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of dead in the past week to… 03/02/2012 More than 120 die as eastern Europe bears brunt of cold spell Freezing weather continues to grip Europe, with countries in the eastern part of the continent hit especially hard, causing more than 120 deaths. Snow has… 03/02/2012 Homeless facing cold all over Europe The cold scouring Europe, down to a bone crunching 30 degrees Celsius in some places - is killing people who have no homes. Many of the more than 100 recent… 02/02/2012 Big freeze claims more lives in Poland and Ukraine At least 29 people have died overnight in Ukraine and Poland as a result of extremely low temperatures in Europe. The total number of deaths across the two… 02/02/2012 Europe hit by record low temperatures A woman walks on a street during heavy snowfall in Sofia. Record-low temperatures in parts of Eastern Europe pushed the death toll from Arctic conditions to… 02/02/2012 Romanian deep freeze at -32.5 degrees Celsius – nocomment Parts of the Black Sea near the Romanian coastline froze as a severe cold spell continues to keep Eastern Europe in its icy grip. Temperatures in Romania… 02/02/2012 No end to big freeze in Europe The big freeze continues throughout many parts of Europe with at least 79 deaths since Saturday. Emergency airlifts are being organised in Bosnia and Serbia… 02/02/2012 Ukrainians turn to pork fat in a bid to keep warm Slabs of white pork fat may not be everyone’s idea of culinary heaven. But when you’re trying to keep warm in unbearably freezing temperatures, the… 01/02/2012 Temperatures plummet as Europe’s big freeze spreads Turkey’s biggest city Istanbul has failed to escape the arctic temperatures and blizzard conditions that are wreaking havoc across parts of Europe. source(www.euronews.net...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
We had about 3 inches of snow last night between 6 pm and midnight,so about normal for the time of year.Shovelled it away from outside my house and garage today and it was warm enough to melt the bits I'd missed even leaving some dry bits,so not quite freezing,no mini ice age and still above average for the time of year.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

It's all over Europe..or what is left of it,

Drama student?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join