It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is so cold everywhere in the world! Are we experiencing a small Ice Age?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
My guess is the BP oil spill slowed down the Atlantic belt underwater currents. No warm waters for Europe.
People have forgotton there would be consequences to polluting the water with oil and chemical disperants.
In the south Eastern USA we are having an early spring by 2-4 weeks. It was the warmest winter in the last 7 years. The year 2005 was a warm winter. We have got to stop polution.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I'd really like to post something constructive but other than saying it has been a warmer than average winter here in the UK and 'anyway it's winter' so it should be cold in the Northern hemisphere I would like to say

...this guy!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Natural tilts in earth's axis cause ice ages, says Harvard scientist - and their cycles could help predict the next one

lin k

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

TextNatural tilts in earth's axis cause ice ages Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... a2DUu

Could be that because of the latest strong earthquakes(past 10 years) and the processes inside the Earth's core?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well the one in Japan certainly did according to the reports

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

so do you think the south uk will get any more cold weather. u grib seemed to be predicting the cold weather moving south easterly from russia to france and spain while the warm font moves north west over the uk. does this sound plausible to you?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Really? I live in arizona and this winter has been very short and warm (compared to most arizona winters I mean).

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

The Japan earthquake did not change the tilt of Earth's axis. It moved its figure axis an immeasurable amount.

The calculations also show the Japan quake should have shifted the position of Earth's figure axis (the axis about which Earth's mass is balanced) by about 17 centimeters (6.5 inches), towards 133 degrees east longitude. Earth's figure axis should not be confused with its north-south axis; they are offset by about 10 meters (about 33 feet). This shift in Earth's figure axis will cause Earth to wobble a bit differently as it rotates, but it will not cause a shift of Earth's axis in space-only external forces such as the gravitational attraction of the sun, moon and planets can do that.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Hellas

The Japan earthquake did not change the tilt of Earth's axis. It moved its figure axis an immeasurable amount.

The calculations also show the Japan quake should have shifted the position of Earth's figure axis (the axis about which Earth's mass is balanced) by about 17 centimeters (6.5 inches), towards 133 degrees east longitude. Earth's figure axis should not be confused with its north-south axis; they are offset by about 10 meters (about 33 feet). This shift in Earth's figure axis will cause Earth to wobble a bit differently as it rotates, but it will not cause a shift of Earth's axis in space-only external forces such as the gravitational attraction of the sun, moon and planets can do that.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Thank you for correcting me!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm trying to understand EVERYONES post about how unusually warm it has been for them when I keep coming across things like this:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Now, I will admit myself...I live here in the US, in the state of Georgia. Winter did not last long for us. We've had days of warm weather...however...thats actually the norm for us...the abnorm is when it gets really cold and we have snow....when I first moved here 15 years ago....we would have very mild winters.....cold at night, cold in the morning...but by afternoon it would warm up to the high 50s low 60s. Then...in the spring right around March..we would end up with one snow fall. I also clearly remember that one year on it would be freezing in October and the next year it'd be as hot as can be. The last few years..this was not the case..the last I'd say 3 years...was abnormal for us....freezing, more than one snow fall, ice, cold from September to late April. This is actually the first "normal" winter for Georgia we have had. So, at first, my reaction was the same....what is this guy talking about? its warm...but over the last few days I keep coming across stories like the one above and the one in Alaska. It seems, that this is mainly in the northern hemisphere (where it is of course going to be colder than where I am) but this seems to be unnaturally cold. Its is a bit odd.
edit on 3-2-2012 by Nkinga because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Nkinga

I love how in sketchy threads like this the DailyMail and RT suddenly become THE source.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

you are more than welcome to go to google and type in "snow in rome" or "cold weather kills more than 220 in Europe" for any news source you prefer.

Because we all know the DailyMail could clearly be lying about it snowing in Rome and people dying in Europe from cold weather.....

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Nkinga

So this means the world is experiencing an ice age?

Wow.

It
is
winter.
edit on 2/3/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I don't remember in any part of my reply stating that there was an ice age. .... at all. I simply posted an article that showed us snow in Rome which has not happened in 26 years and that Europe is experiencing -33 degree temps. Along with mentioning that Alaska has recently acquired 20+ feet of snow.....

I also in my post explained that here where I am...it has been warmer than what we've had in the last 3 years and that I originally to was questioning what the OP was talking about.....

I never at one time stated anything about this meaning we were having an ice age.

you however, were questioning the validity of the dailymail link for the snowstorm in Rome. I was simply giving you the directions on how to find other news sources for info on the snow storm in Rome and the negative temps in Europe......

By the way..yes...your correct it is winter....does winter in Europe usually mean -33 degree weather? or snow in Rome? just wondering.... I do not live there and therefore do not really know the normal temps for winter in Europe..but to my recollection,...I always thought -33 temperatures were reserved for the arctic?
edit on 3-2-2012 by Nkinga because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Dear ATS community.

I hope you would believe me as a credible source, along with Russia's Met Bureau it posted an image here stating that more then half of our country (Which accounts for the world's largest country, huge landmass and such.) will have down to a -2.5 degree Celsius anomaly through February. Of course it also shows a tongue of warmer air from the south. But right now it's as frozen as can be from the Kola peninsula to the Black Sea (Open Google Maps and count the distance.) I'd hardly say that due to the US having some milder temperatures that any and all arguments about this unusual cold we are getting here are untrue.

As I mentioned earlier our house water supply froze over completely and we had to heat it up with that torch tool. And over five hundred people got cold injuries the last week in Moscow. Sixty of them perished. The last four days Moscow has had gridlock 24/7 and the public transport systems are not coping either. There are huge demonstrations today and the temperature has strangely dropped even more. With clouds preventing the warm up of the air above Moscow. But this isn't just Moscow. All the lakes, and seas from Norway and I would bet to our southern and Eastern neighbors have frozen solid. People are stranded on islands as far east as Vladivostok with sea ice nearing 2 meters.

PS! Let us all have a productive discussion without going after each other, or going to extremes either. I am sure this can be explained by something else, then an Ice Age incoming (We are all DooM ed!) But I am very sure this is not normal winter (I can only speak for 70% of Russia's territory as per the image I provided though. Though I'm not much for conspiracy theories, I am sure there is no need to get hot headed.

Cheers
A very Frozen and water-less Russian Citizen, who can barely hit the keys of his keyboard due to cold

edit on 3/2/2012 by RumET because: Added a mirth-y PS! addition ^^

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
one of the main reason as to why people in the south of europe are experiencing a colder winter is due to a late freezing of the waters up here in northern europe, its as simple as that ,,

we had -40c in the neighbouring county last night
and locally its about -30c atm

next week its predicted to be around -5c day / -15c night

no need for panic , its as it should be ,,

as for water pipes freezing , ive had for the past 14 years the joy of experiencing it , its just life and the only one to blame is my self for not fixing the insualtion during milder weather such as spring summer or fall times ,

sky is falling and its called snow.
edit on 4-2-2012 by zerbot565 because: spelling bee

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

It is not getting colder where I live, it is actually getting hotter. We used to get snow, that rarely happens anymore. I noticed the drastic change start around 15 years ago. Haven't studies the numbers.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
This will be the warmest winter on record in western Canada by the time Feb is done. 90% of North America is way above norm and will be for the rest of "winter". Somebody gets the "cold" every winter in the Northern Hemisphere . Swings above and below will average out --- normal at the end of april for all within 10% longterm ave.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Odd's are that the cold HP system in central Russia will migrate east and deliver colder than normal temps for North America in March - April and part of May. Just a guess - cold air seems to only spill one way from the north pole at a time this time of year within this arctitc air mass set - up. Just looking at the flow of the jet stream at this point. No Harp - no B/S, just mother nature doin her thing in irregular patterns once in a while.
One thing though - it is becoming more extreme from one to the other ever year IMO

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Hovering around 2 deg in the south of the UK at the moment with no more than about 1 or 2 deg variation between day and night temperatures,still above average for the time of year though with no snow forecast for us in the forecastable future.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join