It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The quest for Sherlock Holmes.....there is only one...so far.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
As a huge Sherlock Holmes fan I was excited to hear that Robert Downey Jr. would play the detective. But after watching both movies with Downey in the lead I am a bit disappointed..to say the least.

There is not much wrong with the story or action scenes in it although some consider different. I think the casting of the Sherlock and Watson characters is completely wrong. Downey and Judd Law are excellent actors but do not fit the fysical discribtion of Sherlock and Watson. If Guy Richie has to choose from these two actors I would cast Law as Sherlock and Downey for Watson.

Anyways, the only Sherlock so far is Jeremy Brett (RIP). These television productions from Granada Television are the best you can get. Every prop and stage is authentic as they come and the casting is perfect. His acting is exactly how you would expect a real Sherlock would behave. If you are a Sherlock Holmes fan and enjoy these english victorian settings I strongly recommend you watch those Sherlock Holmes episodes. But beware, the episodes are addictive which feel I not had a single moment watching Downey or Judd Law.

I think that the casting of Downey and Judd law is because it is a potential money machine.

These series with Jeremy Brett started in 1984 and ended in 1994. If I had to cast a Sherlock for a movie or a television series my choice would be Michael Fassbinder for Sherlock.

What do yo guys think of the Guy Richie Sherlock Movies and do you have a favorite Sherlock...and Watson?

If there was one actor who should deserve an Oscar but never got it, it would be Jeremy Brett. Maybe one day the academy will recognise his talent and contribution to the art and will give him one posthumously.

edit on 1/2/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
My favs will always be Brett on Granada.
Thank god for re-runs, they are still sometimes the best thing on tv.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

It's not a patch on the BBC version with Benedict Cumberbatch but that said i still enjoyed both films. However, Downey isn't dark enough for me - read the novels and Sherlock is a dark individual.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The only two men ever made for the job are dead.

Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LessThanLethal

Why so...?

sec.line

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I like Jeremy Brett a lot, but Benedict Cumberbatch on Masterpiece Mysteries: Sherlock is really good too. If you haven't watch them, you definitely should. All three hour-and-a-half long episodes are on Netflix Instant and the DVD is only about $20 (I think). This Sherlock series is set in the present and none of the episodes are drawn directly from Doyle stories. Instead, they're kind of remixes. Taking elements from a lot of stories, throwing in a lot of original stuff and making something new. Also, Martin Freeman is my favorite Watson ever.

Of the 3 current episodes, the first and last are the best. The second one isn't bad, but it's kind of weak, it also happens to be the one that takes the least from the stories. Three new episodes are coming out this Summer.

Also, while Jeremy Brett does deserve awards he can cannot get an Oscar. Most of his work was on television or the stage, neither of which are eligible for Oscars. However, he could and should get a BAFTA for his great Sherlock. Sorry for splitting hairs.
edit on 2/2/2012 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

I appreciate your hair-splitting because that is exactly what I would like people to do in this thread. It is interesting to know what people think and why they think that way.

I have seen the "new" Sherlock Holmes with Cumberbatch and I did like it a lot. Cumberbatch is a great actor because he is able to act convincingly completely different characters. Before his role as Sherlock I did never notice him but I recognized him play in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and in a modest performance in War Horse.
The Moriarty chatcter was also surprisingly different than expected.

Because a ATS-member LessThanLethal mentioned Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce as best Sherlock, I am about to watch their performance. My mother also says Rathbone does a good impression of Sherlock so I am looking forward to it.

Thx.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I think RDJ is a perfect Sherlock, he does the kooky and eccentric intellectual perfectly.

He's my fave Holmes by far.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by zatara

It's not a patch on the BBC version with Benedict Cumberbatch but that said i still enjoyed both films. However, Downey isn't dark enough for me - read the novels and Sherlock is a dark individual.

I did see Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce perform in "The woman in green (1945)" yesterday and wasn't that impressed. The setting was not victorian age and Dr Watsons acting and humor made it all overacted and unreal. My conclusion about Rathbone would be premature because I need more episodes to see.

Have you read the original Doyle stories? If I understand correctly Jeremy Brett insisted to keep it as close as possible to the original. Although JB says there are many ways to perforn the Holmes character I still think he comes close.

Can you give an example why you consider Holmes a dark individual? Is it because he uses coc aine and sometimes bend the law?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LessThanLethal
The only two men ever made for the job are dead.

Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.

There were more men made for the job, some not as perfect but still. I probably assume wrong that you know them all. Just in case that you or anybody else recognise a "Sherlock" actor better than Rathboner or Brett, here is a list to choose from.

The list of actors who have played Sherlock Holmes in film, television, stage, or radio includes:

Hans Albers
The Man Who Was Sherlock Holmes (1937 film, Der Mann, der Sherlock Holmes war)
Joaquim de Almeida
The Xango from Baker Street (2001 film, O Xangô de Baker Street)
James D'Arcy
Sherlock: Case of Evil (2002 TV film)
Tom Baker
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1982 mini series)
John Barrymore
Sherlock Holmes (1922 film)
Keith Baxter
The Penultimate Problem of Sherlock Holmes (Off Broadway play, 1980)
Murder, My Dear Watson (stage play, England, 1983)
Jeremy Brett
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1984-1994 TV series)
Nicholas Briggs
Sherlock Holmes - Holmes and the Ripper[1] (2010 Big Finish Productions audio drama)
Clive Brook
The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1929 film)
Sherlock Holmes (1932 film)
Ian Buchanan
Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2008 TV episode, Trials of the Demon)
Michael Caine
Without a Clue (1988 film)
John Cleese
The Strange Case of the End of Civilization as We Know It (1977 film)
Elementary, My Dear Watson (1973 TV film)
Peter Cook
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1978 film)
Benedict Cumberbatch
Sherlock (2010 BBC TV Series)
Peter Cushing
The Masks of Death (1984 TV film)
Sherlock Holmes (1965-1968 TV series)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959 film)
Robert Downey, Jr.
Sherlock Holmes (2009 film)
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011 film)
Rupert Everett
Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking (2004 TV film)
Matt Frewer
The Case of the Whitechapel Vampire (2002 TV film)
The Sign of Four (2001 TV film)
The Royal Scandal (2001 TV film)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (2000 TV film)
William Gillette
Sherlock Holmes (1899 Broadway production)
Sherlock Holmes (1916 motion picture)
Stewart Granger
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1972 TV film)
John Gielgud
On BBC Radio in the 1950s
Guy Henry
Young Sherlock: The Mystery of the Manor House (1982 TV series)
Charlton Heston
The Crucifer of Blood (1991 TV film)
Anthony Higgins
Sherlock Holmes Returns (1993 TV film)
Carleton Hobbs
On BBC Radio (1952-1969 radio series)
Ronald Howard
Sherlock Holmes (1954-1955 TV series)
Frank Langella
Sherlock Holmes (1981 TV film)
Roger Llewellyn
Sherlock Holmes - The Last Act[2] (2009 Big Finish Productions audio drama)
Sherlock Holmes - The Death and Life[3] (2009 Big Finish Productions audio drama)
John Longden
The Man Who Disappeared (1951, 26 min TV episode)
Peter Lawford
Fantasy Island, episode "The Case Against Mr. Roarke/Save Sherlock Holmes" (1982 TV series)
Christopher Lee
Sherlock Holmes and the Deadly Necklace (1962 film, Sherlock Holmes und das Halsband der Todes)
Incident at Victoria Falls (1991 TV film)
Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady (1992 TV film)
Vasily Livanov
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson (series, five films 1979 to 1986)
Patrick Macnee
The Hound of London (1993 TV film)
Algimantas Masiulis
Blue carbuncle (1979 film, Belarusfilm)
Raymond Massey
The Speckled Band (1931 film)
Clive Merrison
On BBC Radio (1989-2004 radio series)
Keith Michell
The Crucifer of Blood (1979 London stage production)
Nis Bank-Mikkelsen
The Blue Carbuncle (2007 Danish children's audio-drama)
David Mitchell
That Mitchell and Webb Look
Ron Moody
Sherlock Holmes: The Musical (1989 stage production)
Roger Moore
Sherlock Holmes in New York (1976 TV film)
Alwin Neuss de:Alwin Neuß
Sherlock Holmes (1908)
Der Hund von Baskerville (1914)
Detektiv Braun (1914)
John Neville
A Study in Terror (1965 film)
Sherlock Holmes (Royal Shakespeare Company stage production)
Leonard Nimoy
Sherlock Holmes (Royal Shakespeare Company stage production)
Eille Norwood
Numerous silent films from 1920 to 1923
Peter O'Toole
Sherlock Holmes and the Baskerville Curse (1983 cartoon)
Sherlock Holmes and a Study in Scarlet (1983 cartoon)
Sherlock Holmes and the Sign of Four (1983 cartoon)
Sherlock Holmes and the Valley of Fear (1983 cartoon)
Reginald Owen
A Study in Scarlet (1933 film)
Michael Pennington
The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1987 TV film)
Christopher Plummer
Silver Blaze (1977)
Murder by Decree (1979 film)
Jonathan Pryce
Baker Street Irregulars (2007 film)
Basil Rathbone
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939 film)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939 film)
Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror (1942 film)
Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon (1943 film)
Sherlock Holmes in Washington (1943 film)
Sherlock Holmes Faces Death (1943 film)
The Spider Woman (1944 film)
The Scarlet Claw (1944 film)
The Pearl of Death (1944 film)
The House of Fear (1945 film)
The Woman in Green (1945 film)
Pursuit to Algiers (1945 film)
Terror by Night (1946 film)
Dressed to Kill (1946 film)
Suspense, episode "The Adventure of the Black Baronet" (1953 TV series)
Robert Rendel
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1932 film)
Ian Richardson
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1983 TV film)
The Sign of Four (1983 TV film)
Nicholas Rowe
Young Sherlock Holmes (1985 film)
Richard Roxburgh
The Hound of the Baskervilles (2002 TV film)
George C. Scott
They Might Be Giants'' (1971 film)
Mack Sennett: writer-director-actor Sennet portrayed Holmes in 11 silent short films from 1911-1913, with Fred Mace as Watson
Paul Singleton
Grit in a Sensitive Instrument (Regional theater, 1980; Off Broadway, 1982; cable TV also)
The Blue Carbuncle (Off Broadway play, 2007; Los Angeles stage, 2008)
Tod Slaughter
on stage in the start of the 1930's
Robert Stephens
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970 film)
Ben Syder
Sherlock Holmes (2010 film)
Robert Webb
That Mitchell and Webb Look
Alan Wheatley
Sherlock Holmes (1951 BBC TV series)
Geoffrey Whitehead
Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson (1980 TV series)
Paxton Whitehead
The Crucifer of Blood (1978 Broadway production)
Nicol Williamson
The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (1976 film)
Douglas Wilmer
Sherlock Holmes (1965 TV series)
The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (1975 film)
Arthur Wontner
The Sleeping Cardinal (1931 film)
The Missing Rembrandt (1932 film)
The Sign of Four (1932 film)
The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes (1935 film)
Silver Blaze (1937 film)
John Wood
Sherlock Holmes (1974-1976 Broadway theatre production)
Edward Woodward
Hands of a Murderer (1990 TV film)
Vasily Livanov
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson (1979 TV series)
Igor Petrenko
Sherlock Holmes (2012 Russian TV Series)

edit on 5/2/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

SaulGoodman
I like Jeremy Brett a lot, but Benedict Cumberbatch on Masterpiece Mysteries: Sherlock is really good too. If you haven't watch them, you definitely should. All three hour-and-a-half long episodes are on Netflix Instant and the DVD is only about $20 (I think). This Sherlock series is set in the present and none of the episodes are drawn directly from Doyle stories. Instead, they're kind of remixes. Taking elements from a lot of stories, throwing in a lot of original stuff and making something new. Also, Martin Freeman is my favorite Watson ever.

Of the 3 current episodes, the first and last are the best. The second one isn't bad, but it's kind of weak, it also happens to be the one that takes the least from the stories. Three new episodes are coming out this Summer.

Also, while Jeremy Brett does deserve awards he can cannot get an Oscar. Most of his work was on television or the stage, neither of which are eligible for Oscars. However, he could and should get a BAFTA for his great Sherlock. Sorry for splitting hairs.
edit on 2/2/2012 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

Just a question, i've read up a lot about when the next episode is coming out, not to mention the fact that i've asked people close to the directors, how do you know the new sherlock episodes are coming out in the summer?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

zatara
Anyways, the only Sherlock so far is Jeremy Brett (RIP). These television productions from Granada Television are the best you can get. Every prop and stage is authentic as they come and the casting is perfect. His acting is exactly how you would expect a real Sherlock would behave. If you are a Sherlock Holmes fan and enjoy these english victorian settings I strongly recommend you watch those Sherlock Holmes episodes. But beware, the episodes are addictive which feel I not had a single moment watching Downey or Judd Law.

I agree. His portrayal of Holmes has that somewhat manic edge that I pictured every time I read one of Doyle's stories. I can still hear him shouting, "Mrs. Hudson!"...

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I've always thought Jonathan Hyde would make a good Sherlock, IF he could pull off the trademark "weirdness" peculiar to him in the Doyle stories. In my opinion, I don't even think Jeremy Brett pulled it off quite like the stories. Granted, I have yet to see every portrayal of Sherlock on film, so someone may have pulled it off. I think Jude Law makes a pretty good Watson, though in the movies he talks a bit too much as compared to the stories. Which is understandable, because in a movie they can't really just have a character like that only chiming in once in a while.

Basil Rathbone was okay, and no offense to Nigel Bruce, but he just didn't belong in the part of Watson at all. He was too much of a bumbler. Plus, he was just too old. In the Conan Doyle stories, Holmes and Watson were barely reaching middle-aged toward the beginning of WWI, in His Last Bow.

And I've always been of the opinion that a Sherlock Holmes movie should be 100% true to the story. I don't like when they take bits and pieces from various stories, along with their own ideas, and throw them all together. I just feel it's one of those things that shouldn't be messed with like that.

I would LOVE to see The Sign of Four as a movie, but 100% true to the story, with Jonathan Hyde as Sherlock (if he was able to really pull it off) and I suppose Jude Law as Watson, since he looks pretty close to the way I picture Watson in my head.

top topics

join