It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA Forces Whole Foods To Accept Monsanto

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Originally posted by Jason88
question: how much does it cost to "get" an organic farming license?
edit on 1-2-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

Your question compels me to ask, why in God's name would an organic farmer need permission from a city, town, county, or state to do what was has been demonstrably a natural right to do for several thousand years?

What compelling argument can government offer that reasonably grants they the right to regulate and determine who can or cannot organically farm?

It's not cost that gets you an organic certification, it's how you farm and treat your livestock.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

There are a few things to consider.

Boomers get a bad rap. Its because they have the second homes, the jet-skis, the project cars, the great lifestyles. Gen X and later know we can never have these things if we are not "1%'ers. Basic housing is astonishingly expensive, and with the cost of living going through the roof and no end in sight, the Gen X and later see the Boomers as people who lived it up and have had an awesome standard of living. For us, the Gen X and later, we compete with India and China now, and our currency is inflating in part to pay out to people who have lived like relative kings. What a person used to be able to do and still afford a home wouldnt even be a minimum wage job today. I fully expect the boomers to reverse mortgage, leverage, and cash every SS check and take as much medicare as possible and take all the wealth with them to the grave.

It makes me wonder what kind of a future did they want for their kids?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kbriggss

I haven't read the Article or the post yet, but The whole food I used to go to ( in Colorado) carries many of the brands Monsanto owns. Also the "Organic and Free range Butcher" carries their meat. Monsanto own Cargill meat now too. Anyone else thinking of of buying that 300 cell prison in TX thats up for auction and making a bunch of tinfoil hats? Come join me I'm only $29,000,000 short of the asking price.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This article hits right to the heart of my current concern with the harm Monsanto has been causing the world. The latest revelation of corporatist corruption is Monsanto's Michael Taylor getting a high level exec job with the FDA!

Now the GMO authorized foods will become a flood.

Monsanto Now Practically a Government Agency - videos
chasvoice.blogspot.com...

edit on 5-2-2012 by ChasVoice because: replaced the incorrect name "Richard" with "Michael"

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingSpaghettiMonster

It's not cost that gets you an organic certification, it's how you farm and treat your livestock.

I don't know whose question you think you're answering, but it sure isn't my question that has been answered. Again, why would an organic farmer need to obtain any other "certification" than what he can accomplish on a free market making his customers happy?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSpaghettiMonster

That isn't what JPZ was asking though. Why would a farmer have to obtain a license from the Government to engage in a natural right of raising livestock and/or produce?

Why couldn't this "certification" come from an industry standard and under what premise and argument does the Government use to justify this requirement?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I just wanted to mention you better get your heirloom seeds in a hurry and plenty of them. Reason ? The seeds are GMO to and last years the chem-trails killed my crops and if I didn't have anymore seeds, because I didn't get any from my plants, I would probably have to hunt to find some heirloomz seeds and may not find any. Can't mention any names to offer in order to protect the few sources we have left good luck

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Let me clarify my question: How much does it cost to get an organic farming license to "sell" organic foods? I ask because years ago I helped out on an organic farm in New Mexico and if memories serves, the owners told me it was $175K annually for a certified, organic license. I'll do some digging to see if that number is right, but at the time I remember thinking it was almost prohibitive to get started in the business of organic farming...

Edit: I see others got the heart of the question, which is the "selling" aspect. My thinking is that entire organic farming business is a racket to keep the top food chains on top while they label/re-label the same foods but at an "organic" upmarket cost... and of course Monsanto wants a piece of the this so-called healthier pie. (I am discluding farm stands and farmers markets from this point).

From the USDA Organic website:

How Much Will it Cost to Get Certified Organic? When the National Organic Program initially launched USDA organic certification, the cost of a single farm becoming certified was estimated at $750 with a sliding scale fee structure in place for other organic operations. Current certification fees vary wildly depending on the organic certification agent you choose. Be sure each organic certification agent you're speaking with gives you a clear estimate of the fee structure before officially choosing an agent.

More:

Who does NOT need to be certified? Producers and handling (processing) operations that sell less than $5,000 a year in organic agricultural products. Although exempt from certification, these producers and handlers must abide by the national standards for organic products and may label their products as organic.

Source: www.ams.usda.gov...

So if you sell less than $5K a year you're safe with the government, but let's be honest, you can't make a living on $5K a year in the US. So that takes us to this line: "Current certification fees vary wildly depending on the organic certification agent you choose." Wildly. Really. They can charge whatever? Yep, sounds like a racket and Monsanto already has "won."
edit on 7-2-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Beyond being a 21st century money-making scheme for the government it appears to be have found its footing in none other than fear (as are most things sold to us). Fear as in to prevent fraud from entering in the organic markets by regulating each farm(er) to a list of what the USDA considers organic.

Here's that list:

To be sold or labeled as “100 percent organic,” “organic,” or “made with organic (specified ingredients or food group(s)),” the product must be produced and handled without the use of:
(a) Synthetic substances and ingredients, except as provided in §205.601 or §205.603;
(b) Nonsynthetic substances prohibited in §205.602 or §205.604;
(c) Nonagricultural substances used in or on processed products, except as otherwise provided in §205.605;
(d) Nonorganic agricultural substances used in or on processed products, except as otherwise provided in §205.606;
(e) Excluded methods, except for vaccines: Provided, That, the vaccines are approved in accordance with §205.600(a);
(f) Ionizing radiation, as described in Food and Drug Administration regulation, 21 CFR 179.26; and (g) Sewage sludge.

Source: ecfr.gpoaccess.gov...:3.1.1.9.32.2.354.6&idno=7
e dit on 7-2-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It never ends, the produce industry like the pharmaceutical corporations determine what is best for you and what is most profitable for them

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
When will people get it???

Washington D.C. is run by lobbyists, political action committees, special interest groups and establishment insiders.

Washington D.C. needs to be broken up like any other giant corporation. The only difference is that they have a monopoly on POWER.

Occupy Wall Street had good intentions but Wall Street isn't the problem. Washington, D.C. is. Its not just Wall St. that runs our government.

"But we cant get rid of government agencies, theyre here to protect us".

Think SOPA is gone? Wait until AFTER the elections.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join