It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need good web hosting suggestions....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Been doing a little online shopping for a decent web host, but the google searches seem to be taken over by nicely packaged garbage, with fake reviews...

Doing seperate review searches reveals that the so called "top ten" web hosts are very poorly thought of..

I am just hoping that posting this here, someone can give some referral to a decent one that they are using and are happy with...

It can be hard to find out how good they are until after they already took money from you

Thanks..

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I know what you mean when i was looking to get web space theres lots of top 10 lists that just seem to contadict eachother. Im using Host Gator for my site and i havent had any problems with them at all.

www.hostgator.com/

edit on 1-2-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
Been doing a little online shopping for a decent web host, but the google searches seem to be taken over by nicely packaged garbage, with fake reviews...

Doing seperate review searches reveals that the so called "top ten" web hosts are very poorly thought of..

I am just hoping that posting this here, someone can give some referral to a decent one that they are using and are happy with...

It can be hard to find out how good they are until after they already took money from you

Thanks..

Personally, I use Rochen for my Joomla related sites and client projects. Bluehost is the service I recommend for those who don't want to get their hosting from me. They're both good and I've been a reseller under Rochen over a year with no serious complaints that aren't common to any shared hosting environment. Bluehost is generally good for things other than Joomla....although I'm sure they'd disagree about Joomla. lol... I used them for a few years before coming to Rochen for a couple personal sites..and again, no real complaints. Customer service on both was/is excellent with short turn around times and intelligent people. A MUST for a hosting service, IMO.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Ahh thank you for the quick replies

I'm setting up image hosting for the wife to publish family images, and have another domain to play around with, so kind of hoping to find one that isn't too costly, but also has enough bells and frills to make it fun..

The last one we had would have week long down times, and just yesterday had what they claimed was a hard disk crash, which they restored from backup, but everything was still corrupted and the server softwares all are still fubar, so I'm just ditching them quick (finally)

edit on 1-2-2012 by alienreality because: ETA

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
i use network solutions, you can do just about anything, domain names, email, ftp, the works, but they are pretty over priced, but good customer service.

For domain names i generally say just go with godady, its cheap and easy.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I have 20 websites which are hosted at three major hosting companies, I can tell you HostGator.com is the best I've ever worked with. Do not use "Go Daddy", they are terrible to work with!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hey thanks again everyone for the great referrals, I was getting ready to make a choice and then the wife showed me a message on one of her daily forums because she had also asked a few people for suggestions about hosting, and a site owner mentioned dreamhost and gave a promo code GSAVING , which has a 2 week trial anyways, but that promo code just got 1 year of hosting for 22.00 bucks instead of 119.00.. (I'm in shock right now) definitely makes trying it out for a year worthwhile..
(they said the promocode was no problem to repost elsewhere..)
edit on 1-2-2012 by alienreality because: ETA

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
If I may highjack your thread for a moment - Anyone have an idea where the tech support for these various hosts is based out of? I quit godaddy years ago because the language barrier between myself and their tech agents made it too difficult to get anything accomplished. I've been thinking about bluehost and hostgator, but I don't want to lay down any money until I know their support is based in the US.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I use GoDaddy and a few others. Recently, I come across FatCow. So far, it's been a breeze and have had no issues.

Check out FatCow

A pricing comparison can be found here as well - Price Comparison
edit on 2-2-2012 by imtheweasel because: Added price comparison link.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Morgenstern89

network solutions has US support

top topics

join