It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. says MegaUpload ripped off YouTube

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

U.S. says MegaUpload ripped off YouTube

www.cbsnews.com

Kim DotCom is accused by the U.S. government of copying all of YouTube's videos in 2006

Kim DotCom and MegaUpload helped fill out the cyberlocker's video library in 2006 by snatching videos from the then-fledgling YouTube, the U.S. government alleges.

Buried in the Jan. 5 indictment against MegaUpload, DotCom and six other employees of the cyberlocker service, are e-mail communications between two managers, Mathias Ortmann and Bram van der Kolk, from April 2006.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.digitalspy.com

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Seriously?? wow really? because ripped videos off YouTube? really
U.S. government is that your only BS Lame excuse for stepping over The authority and shutting them down while in the process's.

You have made threats against other such similar sites to MegaUpload? because of MegaUpload other sharing sites are either offline or closed down because of it fearful of the American Police State stepping over The authority.

Look here
("Downloading YouTube videos is against our policies," said the spokeswoman. "We have mechanisms in place to prevent illegal downloads." )

Really since when? so let get this right American Fascist Government if i download a video from youtube i could be arrested aswell? WOW when since is Downloading YouTube videos is against Youtube polices!?

What about the rest of millions of people are freaking downloading the freaking videos from youtube right now???
Are they going to be arrested to then?

(U.S. investigators say DotCom made $42 million off of MegaUpload in 2010. )

So what if it did?

Heres a comment from that that link

(Since when is it "illegal" to copy a video from a public site and store it on another server, or your own hard drive? We do that every day browsing the web -- your browser caches a site, a background, a video -- whatever. This is the dumbest article I've ever read. I'm caching this site's videos content RIGHT NOW. Should I be arrested?)

if they are using this as evidence of Piracy why haven't they gone after Youtube? or better yet why haven't started arresting anyone watching, youtube and downloading there videos.

If this is the only American Government Excuse a cause of Piracy i say its very lame, and even childish.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
So that's what was worth an armed international raid. Pissing off Google 6 years ago.

Makes complete sense. Not a waste of resources at all.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
The US government is just determined to throw as many charges against Megaupload as they can, just in case some of the charges don't stick.

I mean, really? Taking content from youtube? I would think that is about as common as recording from the radio on tape was back in the day.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

For a second I thought the US government was stupid, but now I see that they have too much brainpower to justify any breach of freedom and liberty.

They are very good, at the beginning of this case I seriously thought that the US government is trying to bring down Megaupload using piracy and copyright laws, I explained in another thread that it would fail miserably, now they have something else which has the potential to win in court.

Good job US government, you never fail to surprise me with your evil intelligence lol..

If they can justify the murder of an American citizen, then this is nothing to them..

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The government own Google,
which in turn own the net,
which in turn owns you and i,
the course has now been set.

Seriously though how many media outlet's use youtube video's in news stories, most people who upload stuff on their dont mind, its their too be seen by the public!. Its a free service last time i checked.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Technically, lol, you have to download them to WATCH them.

How do I say this? If I WERE to know of an outfit selling videos STILL playing in the theater left and right, on dvds, all made right here in the USA, I would not turn them in right now. Everytime I went by their place, I'd be like, you go, hope you don't get caught, serves the RIAA and MPAA right.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So your actually parsing the raid?
edit on 1-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123
The US government is just determined to throw as many charges against Megaupload as they can, just in case some of the charges don't stick.

I mean, really? Taking content from youtube? I would think that is about as common as recording from the radio on tape was back in the day.

If it really is the case of youtube... then it just goes to show that the US gov takes pride in having no competition to companies they effectively control. Google being the culprit here, whether they are siding with the government's abuse of IP and copyright laws or if they are simply bending over for big gov.

Same goes for the supposed megabox plan that obviously pee'd of UMG and the RIAA.. Everyone knows big label copyright/IP owners have influence in politics, especially in america... while the megabox deal would have crippled UMG/RIAA from reciveing new artist deals.

One thing after another, some argue (if not, many) that the US case against megaupload is unjustified, so they throw out more reasons as usual.

It's all a big joke. We are in the age of the internet, new ideas come up. The old fashioned dealers/middlemen of the trade are stuck in the past and are scared that they will lose their businesses. Whatever the reason, attacking megauplod is a huge gain for these criminals that be the RIAA/MPAA.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
It's illegal to download youtube videos?

Does that make TIVO illegal as well? I mean you're recording TV shows/movies? If I invite my friend over to watch it that doesn't have cable/satellite.... ARE THEY STEALING?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------< br />

"Home Taping Is Killing Music" was the slogan of a 1980s anti-copyright infringement campaign by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), a British music industry trade group. With the rise in cassette recorder popularity, the BPI feared that people being able to record music from the radio onto cassettes would cause a decline in record sales. The logo, consisting of a Jolly Roger formed from the silhouette of a Compact Cassette, also included the words And It's Illegal.

Don’t Copy That Floppy was an anti-copyright infringement campaign run by the Software Publishers Association (SPA) beginning in 1992.[1] The video for the campaign, starring M. E. Hart as “MC Double Def DP,” was filmed at Cardozo High School in Washington, D.C. and produced by cooperation between the SPA, the Educational Section Anti-Piracy Committee, and the Copyright Protection Fund, in association with Vilardi Films.[citation needed] The groups distributed the film for general viewing through VHS tapes that were mailed to schools.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------

Anyone seeing a pattern here? It has nothing to do with piracy.....It is all about corporate power and control

Imagine if they made VCRs or tape recorders illegal back then in the "name of piracy". Where would the world be?

In 2011, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) was introduced to the U.S. House of Representatives and its counterpart, PIPA to the Senate. After Wikipedia, Google and other major technology websites staged an online protest, many people contacted their representatives and the bill was taken out of consideration. Days later, MPAA chairman Chris Dodd threatened that campaign contributions to politicians that failed to support the legislation would be cut off.[

www.salon.com...
edit on 2/1/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/1/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Hmm, you see it as a huge gain for the MAFIAA, I see it as a minor temporary victory for the MAFIAA, and a huge gain for opponents to the MAFIAA, big government and everything they stand for.

Yes it has a significant impact on the general populace, but the more draconian, "we rule the world bow down and worship us" the US government and MAFIAA get, the more they wake up the worlds population to how manipulative they are, the sooner civilization turns against them and the sooner Rome burns so things can go back to 'normal'.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
The irony of it all is that Youtube was built on infringing copyrights. From music to movies to clips from TV shows, most of it was uploaded by users that didn't own the copyrights.
edit on 1-2-2012 by Jason Paul because: corrected grammar mistake

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Youtube's days are over.

As soon as somebody makes a new site to host video's......buh bye YouTube/Google.

Google really sucks.....turning into the new Microsoft.....eeewwwwww.
edit on 1-2-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

You mean praising?

It's sarcasm chief.

How is expending energy to take revenge for someone else over something that happened years ago anything but absurd?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Are you kidding me?

There are already sites that are similar to Youtube. Ever heard of Dailymotion?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I have a question? Youtube is nothing more than a platform to display the videos on the internet ... what copyrights does youtube have on the videos you post? I wonder if this is about getting people to post their videos and then youtube gets to limit where you put your videos? I recently applied for a job that the guy wanted to put me under some contractural agreement to give hime ownership of all the things I develop and methods that I use in my job working on foreclosures .....

I just wonder what legal rights we unknowingly give Youtube.com on our videos

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
excuse me but what about you tiube sharing bootlegged movies and tv shows in their entirety isnt that worse than what megaupload did?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Some of this actually has me beginning to think that many of these people haven't got a clue as to how the internet, or computers for that matter, work.

Scary thought, isn't it?

edit on 1-2-2012 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Oh noes....

I guess we're next...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

or Metacafe

new topics

top topics

join