It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth - Experts suggest link between coal mining and fragile lakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I highly recommend that you watch this, as its a very information documentary.
Sadly though I was thoroughly disgusted when I watch this. Even sadder still, where they are investigating this - its is supposed to be a protected area. Obviously this doesnt matter if your after the resources....
They tell us we were in a drought, but the truth has come out....
Too often I have heard politicians blame us the general population for water issues, after this we certainly know where the blame lies.

A scientific report questions whether falling water levels in Thirlmere Lakes National Park near Sydney are due to coal mining and asks what future impacts mining and Coal Seam Gas production may have on groundwater.

www.abc.net.au...
edit on 31-1-2012 by The_Seeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Seeker

Its an interesting Theory, to say the least. Its easy to point the finger at Human activity in this case from coal mining and natural gas drilling. But let us not forget that the earth is constantly changing.

50,000 years ago 3 of the largest fresh water lakes in the world were located in the middle of the Sahara. Today you will find nothing but sand. In the Great Lakes in North America at one time were lower than they are now. From evidence recently obtained we have found traces of ancient rivers and water fall that flowed during a period when the glaciers were retreating north back in to Canada.

Another example is the Black Sea, at one time it was a small fresh water lake. But at the end of the last ice age as the water started to rise, water from the Mediterranean Sea began to flow in to the Black Sea filling the valley and raising the sea level. This same type of event happened in the Mediterranean as well, new archaeological evidence has discovered the ruins of ancient villages on the sea bed.

Only time will tell if this theory is correct, but then again we may never know.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The indians always said coal is like the liver, the Aboriginals also where against mining coal and uraninum, which where sacred places for them.

"All the suffering going on in this country with the tornadoes, floods, and earthquakes is carried on the breath of Mother Earth because she is in pain," says Roberta Blackgoat, an elder of the Independent Dineh (Navajo) Nation at Big Mountain. She explains that the Four Corners area is particularly sacred because it literally holds Mother Earth's internal organs -- coal and uranium which the Bureau of Indian Affairs has allowed the Peabody Coal Mine to mine. "They are trying to take her precious guts out for money," says Blackgoat. "My grandfather told me that coal is like the liver, and uranium is both the heart and lungs of Mother Earth." Hopi and Navajo traditionalists are fighting the mining.

Anyhow it doesn't take a scientist that with our heavy use of oil, coal and you name it, is cause for allot of problems today, some call it global warming.

join