Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

ORIGINAL Elephant Painting Incredible

page: 1
28
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Watch this elephant paint a beautiful image of an elephant holding a flower. You'll be amazed at how her talent unfolds as she carefully completes each stroke. Her mahout talks to her throughout the process as his gentle touch gives her confidence. She focuses on her work and seems to enjoy the approval of the audience and, of course, the sugar cane and banana treats. All of her training has been reward based.

So touched by their horrific backgrounds and loving personalities, ExoticWorldGifts.com now supports, "Starving Elephant Artisans" by selling their paintings so they can continue to have a new life in Thailand. Own a print of the art for $15.

Some Thai elephant experts believe that the survival of the Asian elephant species will most likely depend on the good treatment of the elephants in well managed privately owned elephant camps. All of us would prefer that all of the elephants be free to be in the wild. For many reasons, that is not possible at this time.

The video is real, but it's important to note that the painting this "self-portrait" -- a male by the name of Paya who resides in the Maesa Elephant Camp in Chiang Mai, Thailand -- has been painstakingly trained to produce this image, and may even be receiving off-camera hand or voice directions from a "mahout," or trainer...This animal did not go through horrible tortures in order to learn how to move a stick in the way an human would do....Also i have to note i cant even paint as good as that elephant!Humans truly do under estimate the intelligence of other animals
I know this was posted before along time ago but i thought it was worth posting again
Peace,sugarcookie1






posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 

The most intelligent and loving large land animal that exists.
My absolute all time favourite and I met a wild one on holiday once, it was scary. He was an angry bull but did nothing more than look at me before wrecking a tree or two.
Lucky me!

I got to see a skull lying in the middle of the Okavango Delta. Sad, but poignant. They teach each other the grazing and migration routes and are just so clever it's almost human like. Oh yes, they can emit sounds that are detectable miles away and are generally quite peaceful animals until you get too close to angry bulls or moms with calves. I love Heffalumps!

ETA Aww, I hadn't even watched the video on my first comment, as soon as I press play my eyes get all moist! I've seen elephant painting before but this is cuuuute!


OMFG! This elephant is unbelievable! S n F!. He's drawing an elephant!
Holy Moley! This is simply amazing! Sentient being or dumb animal?
I rest my case...
edit on 31/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA



posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Beautiful! At last a story about kindness while working with animals as opposed to keeping them in laboratories and doing unimaginable cruelty - in the name of science.

Very uplifting to see such a graceful large animal engaged in a peaceful activity - as long as only voice prompts and elephant treats were used I can live with that.

Art - let's give everyone paper and paint and pencils!

Much Peace...



posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Yet they're being poached right out of existence....very very sad!



posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77
 

Some reserves do unfortunately allow a certain number of elephants (South Africa I believe) to be shot by rich tourists. I heard the figure of 10,000 dollars stated. It is not the norm though from what I understand and trying it on non-approving, non nature reserve areas could lead to your death due to anti-poaching regulations and measures. I was in a national park in Zimbabwe and was warned that leaving the truck or the group could make me a target for the Rangers patrolling the park. In this case it was because of the White Rhino they were trying to preserve. Unfortunately, it is the white man that is responsible for the state Africa is in today and no one else.
edit on 31/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification



posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 

The most intelligent and loving large land animal that exists.
My absolute all time favourite and I met a wild one on holiday once, it was scary. He was an angry bull but did nothing more than look at me before wrecking a tree or two.
Lucky me!

I got to see a skull lying in the middle of the Okavango Delta. Sad, but poignant. They teach each other the grazing and migration routes and are just so clever it's almost human like. Oh yes, they can emit sounds that are detectable miles away and are generally quite peaceful animals until you get too close to angry bulls or moms with calves. I love Heffalumps!

ETA Aww, I hadn't even watched the video on my first comment, as soon as I press play my eyes get all moist! I've seen elephant painting before but this is cuuuute!


OMFG! This elephant is unbelievable! S n F!. He's drawing an elephant!
Holy Moley! This is simply amazing! Sentient being or dumb animal?
I rest my case...
edit on 31/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA


love elephants also i thought wow they are smart the best i could draw is a stick figure..I read somewhere that the bull elephants can get mean and take down a few trees and turn over big trucks..thank you for posting,peace,sugarcookie1



posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
Beautiful! At last a story about kindness while working with animals as opposed to keeping them in laboratories and doing unimaginable cruelty - in the name of science.

Very uplifting to see such a graceful large animal engaged in a peaceful activity - as long as only voice prompts and elephant treats were used I can live with that.

Art - let's give everyone paper and paint and pencils!

Much Peace...


I've seen some videos of the horrible abuse thats been done to these beautiful elephant 's it was heart breaking so it was nice to see these being treated with dignity and they seemed to enjoy what they were doing..peace,sugarcookie1



posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
that was just awe inspiring and humbling. thank you



posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
Yet they're being poached right out of existence....very very sad!


I agree and its very sad there so beautiful..peace,sugarcookie1



posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
that was just awe inspiring and humbling. thank you


Your very welcome im glad you enjoyed it as much as i did..peace,sugarcookie1



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Very cool and skillful, but was this freeform? If so, then this video is mind blowing in terms of how we underestimate the intelligence of animals.

But I have a feeling the elephant is just repeating an image it has practiced doing over and over, probably traced. I would be very happy if anybody could prove this statement wrong!



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Also... cave paintings actually done by mammoths? lolol



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar
Very cool and skillful, but was this freeform? If so, then this video is mind blowing in terms of how we underestimate the intelligence of animals.

But I have a feeling the elephant is just repeating an image it has practiced doing over and over, probably traced. I would be very happy if anybody could prove this statement wrong!


I believe the elephants were showed over and over how to do this but rewarded with treats ..Im sure it was freeform but in the beginning of learning it was traced but still it shows just how smart the elephants are..peace,sugarcookie1



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar
Also... cave paintings actually done by mammoths? lolol


LOL your silly



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar
 


That's how I learned to draw. In fact, when I draw I simply use techniques I remember. The only thing this elephant had was patience to make each stroke, that's all art really is, patience.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Even if the Elephant is "trained" to paint a certain image it still takes a huge amount of intelligence to remember how to draw, what to draw, etc. Imagine trying to train your dog to paint a picture of a dog, it just couldn't comprehend what to do no matter how many times you tried to teach it to.

A bunch of people are saying that they beat the elephants in order to make them do it. I don't know how true it is, but I wouldn't doubt it.


I know this because I live and work with elephants here in Thailand. No elephant in the world teaches themselves to paint. Every elephant here paints the same pictures. They're all the same because they are forced to do it. I've seen the training myself. A brush is taped to the trunk and they are guided over about 1 month to paint a specific picture. They are hit with a bull hook to the back of the head if they make a mistake. Sorry to spoil your illusions but trust me it's the truth, I seen it.



The elephant with the injured front leg was from a landmine in an illegal logging operation on the Burmese border. Basically every elephant you see painting, in a trekking camp or doing circus tricks has been pajaan trained. They are put in a wooden crate and brutally beaten for up to 1 week in order to break their spirit. Every elephant that paints has been through this. Please be responsible and do not buy products from Thailand that ridicule and cause harm to our national symbol.




edit on 2/1/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)
edit on 2/1/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar
 


That was my first thought as well - the idea that any other animal besides man could translate a 3d image in 2 dimensions through art would have been a new one on me.
That said he (she) does have an elegant touch and shows amazing dexterity in handling a brush.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Beyond amazing!!
Elephants, incredibly beautiful animals!

I wonder when humans will start to share this planet with our amazing animal friends, instead of killing them.
I think this just shows the top of the iceberg compared to how much more we have to learn about animals awareness.

S+F



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I had a book Why Elephants Paint. From what it stated, true or not, they have handlers that take care of them 24/7. A single person per elephant. That person stays with the elephant and accommodates their every wish. I also have heard of abuse, but these are people who all but worship and adore these creatures. I hope that is the case and what was in the book was true. The pics in this book are the best part, there are lots of paintings featured and they are beautiful.



posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by chrismicha77
 

Unfortunately, it is the white man that is responsible for the state Africa is in today and no one else.


What? Can you please clarify your post? How is it the White Man's fault? If it weren't for the billions of dollars that White Man sends over, Africa would be worse off than it already is. This thread is about Elephants, and you try to make it racial?

Elephants are incredible creatures, and it is a shame that they are being poached to extinction. I would love to have one of those paintings! I have often thought of collecting art done by animals, and this is just the motivation to do it! Thank you OP for the wonderful thread!!!





new topics

top topics



 
28
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join