It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hippy Do-Gooders have Destroyed the World

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetriswoooo
what the hell is wrong with you we do need to do something about global warming and other environmental issues but its the companies that dont care and want you to suffer not the environmentalists the big oil companies cant wait untill oil starts to dry up and they can sell us gas at $50 per gallon then swoop in as the last drop is gone and save the day and become heroes

This corporate stereotyping is way out of control. You have drank way too much Kool-aid. There has to be a balance of protecting the environment and providing goods and service to the masses. You probably sit there harping about the environment while wearing your Chinese clothes, Chinese computer, watching your Chinese television. News flash, those manufacturers are the biggest polluters in the world.

But I guess it is easier to say, "don't build a pipeline" then the oil will be moved by rail. Boy that's a safe environmentally friendly method. It is also interesting that you complain about the price but then want the big oil company to somehow provide you the product "cheap" without hurting the environment.

Good post OP. This guy certainly strengthens the intent of the post!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Yes, lets blame and point the finger at everyone else.

Can't take personal responsibility.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The last thing I am is a "hippy". I thought they were all done with that in like 68' or something.

Four things nobody can argue about for all of our survival...

Biodiversity
Interdependence between species
The law of FINITE resources
You don't # where you eat

That's science, not conservative, liberal or any other label.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo515
I cant believe this thread made it on the top of the home page...what a sad forum ATS has grown up to be. I could hand pick at least another 5 threads that got little or no attention, that are far more worthy of discussion than this bs.
The OP is a troll...and the sooner this thread is closed the sooner ATS can stop looking like a bunch of asses.

Why cant you believe it? I already made your point friend.

Text theubermensch-
I guess I am a troll a bitish,and certainly tabloidesque. But isnt there alot of intelligent posts that go by the way side?

You are a troll. If you have anything intelligent to add or you disagree with me then bring it.

If you are simply interested in trolling then take your attention and concern elsewhere.

I wrote a similar thread on hippies that was less cutting if you like it more monotone--

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2-2-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stouf

What will do your economy for you if there's no more animals on the planet ?

How arrogant is that, to think you can remove all the animals from the planet? "Enviromentalists" are some of the most arrogant humans I've ever run across, thinking the have such power!

What will do your economy for you when there's not enough trees to make you breath ?

Same thing your carbon taxes will do for you when all the trees die out for lack of breathable CO2.

What will do your economy for you when there's no more drinkable water ?

Where will it disappear to?

You will then discover that you cannot eat, breath or drink your money...

meanwhile, you'll be getting all fat and sassy on ideology alone?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch

Originally posted by Sachyriel
ATS is about denying ignorance, not making popular assumptions about those who speak truth to power. Their unpopular opinions have real scientific evidence, technologically unsustainable lifestyles can not continue forever or we will be our own destruction.

I am all for sustainability.

But the economy is more important than loving whales.

Like I am somewhat a fan of the zeitgeist movement. I think we should move to a resource based society but not at the expense of our standard of living.

These companies like Solyndra and the like are as interested in profit just as much as any oil company. The democrats wont help the environment anymore than conservatives but the difference is that the Democrats waste more.

Dems = waste

It's funny you go ON and ON about waste, yet you, in the same paragraph, state that we should live differently but "not at the expense of our standard of living", which in other words means "I don't want to change our lifestyle, I want to consume as much as I desire without regard to its effect on the environment".

IF THE ENTIRE PLANET CONSUMED RESOURCES LIKE WE DO IN THE WEST, WE'D NEED 3 MORE EARTHS.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

i hate these skinny jeans wearing hippies just as much as you

I have yet to see a hippie wearing skinny jeans!!

You must be talking about the emo punk kids...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Originally posted by Stouf

What will do your economy for you if there's no more animals on the planet ?

How arrogant is that, to think you can remove all the animals from the planet? "Enviromentalists" are some of the most arrogant humans I've ever run across, thinking the have such power!

What's ARROGANT is the belief that we're somehow NOT destroying species at an unprecedented rate, that we're somehow magically NOT causing massive collapses/destruction of ecosystems, habitats, and global climate. Stop playing the victim card when you're the victimizer. Environmentalists are arrogant TOWARDS THE ARROGANT, that's like bullying the bully, which I'm absolutely a supporter of.

What will do your economy for you when there's not enough trees to make you breath ?

Same thing your carbon taxes will do for you when all the trees die out for lack of breathable CO2.

Nope nope nope nope nope. THERE IS NOT A LACK OF CO2 YOU UNEDUCATED FOOL. As for carbon taxes, why don't you ACTUALLY RESEARCH THEM... they've been implemented in other countries with some limited success and WITHOUT magically enslaving everyone and taxing "the air they breathe". We're emitting too much CO2, it has created a very rapid imbalance which has triggered many effects- one being global warming, which changes CLIMATES (climate change), and so on.

What will do your economy for you when there's no more drinkable water ?

Where will it disappear to?

Are you being sarcastic or are you really that oblivious?? MOST OF THE WORLD'S FRESH WATER IS LOCKED INTO GLACIERS/ICE-CAPS. If they melt into the ocean... the water becomes SALINE. We CANNOT DRINK salt water. If the rest of the water is POLLUTED, that also makes it far less desirable to drink. The solution is NOT desalination and water filtration as bandaids, the solution is to STOP UNNECESSARY POLLUTION/GLACIAL MELT.

You will then discover that you cannot eat, breath or drink your money...

meanwhile, you'll be getting all fat and sassy on ideology alone?

Ideology is what shapes our world and our actions, whether its overt or barely noticeable. Ideas can change the world much faster than money can. And hopefully ideas will render money near the bottom of importance to humans. Hopefully we will someday be rid of the slavery, oppression, and destruction that has been born of money, property, and governments.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I know this kid you should meet....His name is Eric Cartman, lives in South Park. He hates hippies, and anyone that strongly supports something. you'll get along famously.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Brad-H because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
reply to post by theubermensch

Not sure if troll thread or not.

How do you define a hippy? How do you know each an every single 'hippy' (of your definition) thinks and acts exactly the same.

Secondly, what's wrong with oxygen and clean water?

I have never seen such a ridiculous thread. Did you just arrive from the early 1970's after being in cold storage for a long, ignorant nap?

I guess I am channeling Cartman maybe. I just mean enviromentalists. I mean people that enjoy the smell of their own gas.

And it makes me angry that people would protest something that would create jobs when they are badly needed. I dont think thats ridiculous. Hippies really annoy me.

So anything that creates jobs is this holy, untouchable, sacred thing??

No...

Creating jobs is good (within the system) when people are desperate for them and have no other options.

However, to create jobs at the expense of future economic stability, at the expense of the environment, at the expense of peoples' homes/land/dignity/future... that's effing insane and unacceptable.

It's time to think in COMPLEXITIES and not black and white. To be INTELLIGENT in how we organize our society and live on this planet. If you really want to start a war with the planet Earth, you're going to be brutally killed by it because you're killing yourself at the end of the day. Unfortunately, the "end of the day" is coming relatively soon... we're facing seriously massive ecological collapses, and you SERIOUSLY sit there and call out hippies? You're a damn child, stop trying to talk about adult issues.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The do gooders I despise are the ones who sit in their nice little suburban houses drinking camomile tea while putting the world to right yet barely see the 'real' world, commuting on the 6:50 express isn't mixing with the population, its mixing with fellow non entities mostly.

The ones I truly despise the most are the ones that get involved in immigration debates, these are the same people who if they had 2 Polish move into their village would be organising neighbourhood watch meeting!

What grinds with me is when one of these 'do gooders' turns around and says that Radical Islam does not exist and certainly isn't anything to worry about, what hurts is that ordinary Muslims fear radical Islam yet Mr Plymingtom-Smythe from Suburbia is a better expert than them. I hate the throw away comments they use like Islamophobic and "you have been misinformed by the media" or use slang terms like The Daily Fail...

If that's YOU then shame on you for wasting that brain, try visiting some places where REAL people live, talk to them and please, lose that truly stupid wish to label everyone a racist if they don't agree with the immigration policy of this and many other countries.

Please feel free to actually look at places like France, Germany, Sweden, Denmark and Russia where radicalisation is so extreme its affecting their economies in an extremely negative way let alone the lives of ordinary people.

But no, that's too much of a problem, you keep plodding along in your fantasy privileged lifestyle but please, keep your big ill informed gob shut please!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoHierarchy

Originally posted by Sachyriel
ATS is about denying ignorance, not making popular assumptions about those who speak truth to power. Their unpopular opinions have real scientific evidence, technologically unsustainable lifestyles can not continue forever or we will be our own destruction.

I am all for sustainability.

But the economy is more important than loving whales.

Like I am somewhat a fan of the zeitgeist movement. I think we should move to a resource based society but not at the expense of our standard of living.

These companies like Solyndra and the like are as interested in profit just as much as any oil company. The democrats wont help the environment anymore than conservatives but the difference is that the Democrats waste more.

Dems = waste

It's funny you go ON and ON about waste, yet you, in the same paragraph, state that we should live differently but "not at the expense of our standard of living", which in other words means "I don't want to change our lifestyle, I want to consume as much as I desire without regard to its effect on the environment".

IF THE ENTIRE PLANET CONSUMED RESOURCES LIKE WE DO IN THE WEST, WE'D NEED 3 MORE EARTHS.

www.youtube.com...

'The Story Of Stuff' illustrates your point alot better. And yes I do think I can consume all I want to. There are sensible solutions to the problems of waste that dont equal me paying ridiculous amounts of money for energy. I honestly think you hippies are insane sometimes. You are the corporatists best customers ever.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Ok I understand your criticism. Very reasonable and understandable. But your title is outright preposterous and round out silly. You want to people to take you serious or what?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoHierarchy

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Not sure if troll thread or not.

How do you define a hippy? How do you know each an every single 'hippy' (of your definition) thinks and acts exactly the same.

Secondly, what's wrong with oxygen and clean water?

I have never seen such a ridiculous thread. Did you just arrive from the early 1970's after being in cold storage for a long, ignorant nap?

I guess I am channeling Cartman maybe. I just mean enviromentalists. I mean people that enjoy the smell of their own gas.

And it makes me angry that people would protest something that would create jobs when they are badly needed. I dont think thats ridiculous. Hippies really annoy me.

So anything that creates jobs is this holy, untouchable, sacred thing??

No...

Creating jobs is good (within the system) when people are desperate for them and have no other options.

However, to create jobs at the expense of future economic stability, at the expense of the environment, at the expense of peoples' homes/land/dignity/future... that's effing insane and unacceptable.

It's time to think in COMPLEXITIES and not black and white. To be INTELLIGENT in how we organize our society and live on this planet. If you really want to start a war with the planet Earth, you're going to be brutally killed by it because you're killing yourself at the end of the day. Unfortunately, the "end of the day" is coming relatively soon... we're facing seriously massive ecological collapses, and you SERIOUSLY sit there and call out hippies? You're a damn child, stop trying to talk about adult issues.

I just vomited in my mouth. Guess what genius?,the dinosaurs died out.It had nothing to do with us. The world went on. There is no evidence of ecological collapse but guess what? We eat domestic animals not endangered species.I say [SNIP] pandas,[SNIP] the whales and [SNIP] the bilby. Who gives a crap? Things come things go. Humans are the ones we need to worry about. If pandas cant keep up then screw em. We are the top of the food chain,its the way of the jungle.

Circle of life.

As long as the Bee sticks around we should be cool. Im sure we have bee DNA though. Einstein didnt think of that. We could do something about pollination ourselves. You are a defeatist. You want to give all your money to the corporatists and you get a fuzzy feeling when you sit in your house wearing three jumpers in winter to reduce your 'carbon footprint'.

You are ludicrous.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

LOL, what have you done then? Read a book by a lunatic named Nietschze who tried to speak as if he knew the life of Zarathustra? Then agreed with Nietschze that there is such a thing as a super-human? Meanwhile in reality, there is no such thing as the super-human, and the closest you will get to that is simply humans who look out for other humans.

Oh I see, it's hippy do gooders who have ruined the world for you, it's totally not your own perspective on life that has done you over!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

Pretty provocative sensational and obnoxious. I agree

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
STOP GENERALIZING!

Can't you see the problem here... It takes a minority to present irrational values and beliefs and others who are uneducated and ignorant to events and issues jump aboard because they don't understand!

I am constantly tagged with the name Hippy, when all I want is to live in a world where people, animals and the environment can be respected! I don't claim to better than anyone else and I remain as rational as possible and consider every side of an argument.

This is the problem... you can't generalize something as unpredictable and complex as life and you certainly can't criticize what you don't understand!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel

LOL, what have you done then? Read a book by a lunatic named Nietschze who tried to speak as if he knew the life of Zarathustra? Then agreed with Nietschze that there is such a thing as a super-human? Meanwhile in reality, there is no such thing as the super-human, and the closest you will get to that is simply humans who look out for other humans.

Oh I see, it's hippy do gooders who have ruined the world for you, it's totally not your own perspective on life that has done you over!

Why does it have to be about me? Do you need hardship to develop a social conscience? Everyone seems to think so.

You have 'slave morality' thats for certain.

Just because I am against corporatist cheerleading hippies does not mean I want to destroy the world and kill all the animals. There are more sensible solutions than what the corporatists are selling you.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Why does it have to be about me? Do you need hardship to develop a social conscience? Everyone seems to think so.

Well you seem to have no social conscience so I'd wager you are/were a very pampered kid.

You have 'slave morality' thats for certain.

And you know this because you ??? Ow you don't know anything, I see. Keep living in la-la land and blaming those who want to change the globe for the better.

Just because I am against corporatist cheerleading hippies does not mean I want to destroy the world and kill all the animals. There are more sensible solutions than what the corporatists are selling you.

Reading comprehension and some history classes would be nice for you. You know, instead of bringing South-Park wisdom as an Eric-Cartman character. It's really stupid.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join