It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hippy Do-Gooders have Destroyed the World

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Indellkoffer

Oh by the way, how come the environmentalist do gooders have never been interested in helping India clean up the water in their cities? Could it be that India refused to put chlorine in the water? Or nobody cares? Greenpeace is so worried about the whales in Iceland but not people in India.
edit on 1-2-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JulianAlien

Wait a minute, you are saying Obama will get the pipeline through after the vote and somehow this translates into being duped by Bush? Last I checked POTUS didn't vote for NDAA but signed it into law without veto....

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Hippies seemed to connect more with communism than Capitalism as they spouted abject hatred for the "plastic" society conjured up by materialism, and went to live in communes which were mostly started by communist subversives anyway. Cmon get real about this.

Ok, sorry. Bring on more reality TV and Lady Gaga!

hmm yeh I'm not really a fan of Gaga or reality tv either. I much prefer the dystopian type of film like Children of Men and Soylent Green

The 70's were still the tail end of hippie era and I was into yoga and health food.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Humans can't survive without trees, bees and natural diversity. The "hippies" you speak of are trying to do something to save the planet which I'm willing to bet is more than you're doing. They'll probably save your sorry ass into the bargain. Jeez....

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of hippies so to speak. Mostly honestly, cause of what Cartman says in the video.

What I hate worse than hippies though are hypocrites!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by blackrain17

Never from day 1 did I think the war in iraq was over oil....it was never advertized as that...don't even know where that came from. You have to consider all the other jobs that go along with a new business opening up...it is not just the people working on the pipeline...there is a ripple effect...housing,stores, hotels, restaurants, factories to make parts and on and on. That is how the economy works.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
"Hippy Do-Gooders have Destroyed the World"? So, maybe free market would have taken care of everything, right? Somehow I have trouble with that notion. If Liberals were never around, the whole US of A would be one big parking lot owned by one big corporation. The government would be completely owned by corporates (as if it isn't already). You would have to buy air to breath. There wouldn't be any environment. You'd be eating lead, breathing asbestos, and rolling around in PCB's. Oh...and there would be no free market....it would be one big monopoly by a couple of corporations for everything and you'd be living in slave camps earning 50 cents an hour or maybe nothing at all. Maybe just speculation on my part....but you get the picture.

Edit to add: before you stereotype me as a typical liberal...I'm voting for Ron Paul and I do believe in free market and private ownership and minimum government but there has to be a balance. We need both sides to keep extremes from running amok.
edit on 1-2-2012 by empireoflizards because: last sentence

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I find it rather ... not hilarious at the ignorance of some people on this forum. Do you think the government has to listen to hippies? If America "needed" the oil , it would be drilled whether you agreed with it or not. So far , America does not need the oil. Most people are still driving cars and are not organizing mass protest on the price of fuel , therefore , you are willing to pay that price until you show other wise through action or the majority.

I am not going to downgrade my way of life because of some animals which as of right now , we have plenty of to meet our requirements comfortably.

I enjoy history , but woods are meant to be used. They are tools and resources needed. Cut the woods down and use common sense ... replant the trees you cut.

Global Warming is a load of crap. The Earth IS warming , but not due to man. The Earth has cycles. It gets hot , cold , hot , ice age , and cold - something along those lines.

Rainforst do need to be protected to a degree. Rainforest produce valuable medicines through their plants and there are plants being studied now that could provide some interesting cures.

Hippies go way over the top and it is disgusting , but sometimes they have valid points.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

I hate hippie do gooders as much as the next person. Guess what though, those hippi do gooders get more done as far as making the world aware of the Corporate No Do Gooders who really are doing harm in this world and at the expense of everything we as people rely on.

So you see, it's a double edged sword. On a serious note, I don't like hippies in general but then that would be generalizing an entire people and that's kind of what your thread is guilty of so I won't be joining that band wagon anymore than the next.

You have moxy for being outspoken though and that is what it's all about.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Sorry I have been to India and the problem there is SO MUCH BIGGER than you think.

I mean they cook with plastic. They literally make fire with plastic bags and bottles in a oven and bake bread, NO KIDDING.

They are so unaware of what plastic really is, they LOVE their plastic. You never see a glass jar there, very hard. It is not the environmentalist fault is the goverment fault because the polution in India is insane. You cant drink water there specially the tourist because you will have the worst diarrhea in your existance, I met many going to hospital just because of tap water, I am not exaggerating. So people need to drink bottle water. If the goverment had proper water treatments and educate people about pollution then it will change, a bit. Then people will consume less plastic and drink more tap water, then people would not pollute as much but at the same time India has SO MANY PEOPLE that it is quite impossible to reverse the damage.

They would literally make a raft and attach on top all the plastic bottles. They would make three rafts and send them to the sea. Lets say about every three days if I remember correctly and each raft had about 200 bottles. This is from one beach now imagine every single beach village doing this!?

This is a little piece of the cycle. You got many corporations polluting this areas so people ar forced to consume and pollute as they go.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hippy do gooders have destroyed the world... geez... that is just so far from true. If anything, blatant ignorance like that has destroyed the world.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

This pipeline is probably not a very big deal. These people should be devoting themselves to creating a solar powered car or finding a way to provide the entire population with a source of renewable energy that does not produce pollutants. But no instead they would rather protest the installation of a pipeline.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch

Originally posted by petrus4
A vocabulary that primarily exists of perjorative stereotypes, does not help your cause.

What would you prefer? Lies? I hate hippies and think they are stupid and infuriating. Its just my honest opinion.

I actually live in a town right now, that is primarily populated by hippies. Here's a clue for you. Hippies are human beings. As such, they are very difficult to accurately generalise about. You might be able to claim that, as a general rule, they tend to be tolerant as far as drug use is concerned; and you may also be able to claim that they usually like a vaguely similar type of music, but pretty much everything else is up for grabs.

I know of people in this town who are very pacifist, but who don't necessarily like or advocate drug use. I also know of people here who love drugs, but are mentally ill and extremely violent.

They are usually pacifist, but not always. They are usually vegetarian, but again, not always. They are usually kind and compassionate; but again, not always.

I personally do have standards of personal hygiene which you would probably have issues with, to be brutally honest; but there are several people living here who do not at all, and who are extremely clean. You can't generalise about that at all.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I understand the threat. I have seen those campsites of "Democracy Now" in some areas of UK and I know some of those people and I know some of them are really lazy people who get benefits from the goverment, have no jobs, complain about the system but do.... camp in a palce in Sussex to protest.

There are otehr hippies that do DO for their communities. For example, the Green Party is well supported in Brighton and they have done many things... many of those people are... or better say "look" hippy.

You have a problem with hippies? I ahve a problem with Chavs. CHAVS CHAVS THE SCUM OF UK. Racist, lowlife, alcoholics, breed like bacteria, do NOTHING, suck the taxpayer and are real antisocial. I dont care if you wear tracksuits, if you dont do anything and wear a tie... you are a Chav in my eyes.

Here we have a real problem with benefits. There is an article about afamily of 8! (Why you ahve so many kids if you cant afford it?) and they get from the goverment (really from Us) £32,000 A YEAR! Can you believe it? That is insane. AND you pay taxes when you start earning more than £7000 and you pay 20% THAT DOESNT MAKE SENSE!

so I work my ass off, pay taxes and then some idiot who "cannot get a job" gets three times more money than me!
That makes me laugh

cannot get a job? I have chekced teh Job Centre applications here and there are MANY JOBS but they are not nice office desk jobs were you can get paid £10/h to play solitaire no, they are hardcore factory jobs which you get also £10/h but you work hard... BUT! MY FRIENDS! When there is hunger and need, you do ANYTHING.

In my opinion, some ENglish people can be real lazy (specially Chavs) I called three ENglish people to come to get a job as a tour guide were you get £120 a day! and 1 came... the otehr two didnt even bother in calling to say nothing.... and it hasnt been the first time... When a for example, a Slovak gets only £4 or less in their country comes here and finda gold mine! The snitch the jobs... because they know sacrifice! and things dont come easy specially now.

Sorry, I dont mean to offend the Enlishman, I mean to offend the Chav and the English youth tbh, had had it very easy

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

is it Brighton?

Sounds like Brighton?

if it is have you seen Victoria Garden with the tents? I hope they removed them for now because its too cold for them atm!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I repeat CHAVS not Hippies! Are the virus!!!!!!!! of the UK at least!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Don't know if you've noticed but it's January and and was 65 degrees out in New England today. Clearly something is wrong with the environment, and if you can't see that you're probably not very intelligent. You may not give a crap out but this planet but people do. Also, get the hate out of your heart.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch
Has anyone noticed that the worlds biggest problem is hysterical do-nothing do-gooder hippies?

Yes, the hippy-in-image-only is ridiculous, but our biggest problems? Um...that's just one more example of apathy dressed up in compassionate clothes.

Environmentalists are the worst. These morally superior people want us to go backwards. Sometimes I wonder wether they are more interested in reducing our standard of living than mantaining the environment.

The very idea that you think our standard of living and the environment are mutually exclusive concepts is laughable. Also, the fact that you have the utterly unempirical notion that "going backwards" is possible in any sense is uber-LOL-able. Technology is the stick a chimp uses to get at ants. It's the rock an otter uses to bust open a clam shell. The clovis point is as much technological as the Keystone XL Pipeline. Technology is a horse drawn plough and a tractor plough.

The problem is not technology, it's whether or not a technology is sustainable or not. Flint tipped arrow heads, horse drawn ploughs and even waterwheel mills are sustainable. Whether you like it or not, petroleum-based technologies are not sustainable and are ruinous and eventually will lead to your so-called "backwards" movement, in that they won't be around forever and we'll be forced to move on.

And what motivates someone to protest something like the Keystone Pipeline?

Text The total area that has been affected by surface mining represents only 0.1% of Canada's boreal forest. The oil sands account for about 0.1% of global greenhouse-gas emissions. Electricity plants powered by coal in the U.S. generate almost 40 times more greenhouse-gas emissions than Canada's oil sands (the coal-fired electricity plants in the State of Wisconsin alone produce the equivalent of the entire GHG emissions of the oil sands). California bitumen is more GHG-intensive than the oil sands. Oliver criticized opponents of the pipeline, stating that all of the above facts are ignored by "celebrity protestors."

I'd like a source on your ex-text. But to be frank, again, fun with numbers: .1% of Canada's boreal forest...as defined by? What about the boreal forest held on private lands? In Canada is this also considered by their legal statutes to be "Boreal forest"? If I have aspects of the everglades in my back yard does that mean my house is part of the contiguous Everglades zone? I'm guessing residential Fort Lauderdale is not classified as any percentage of the Everglades any more than Phoenix's urban sprawl is classified as the Sonora desert...but they both technically are whether we like them to be or not. Get my point?

No? In other words, whoever did this study went by numbers that suited them. You and I can do this all day long. Let's look at the next number: oilsands account for 0.1% of green house emissions. OK. That sounds like a low number. But let's put that in a fraction: 1/1000. That means that one project creates 1/1000th of green house gases worldwide. In the entire world, 1 out of every 1000 units (whatever those units may be) are created in that one single place in Canada. Does that really sound small?

Let's put that in a different perspective: Let's say that for 999 automobiles, the oilsands produce 1 automobile's worth of pollution. We're just going to pretend that in the WHOLE WORLD, there are only automobiles and the oilsands project that create pollution. No factories, coal power plants or other type of pollution whatsoever, just cars and the single oil sands project in Canada.

There are over 1 billion cars in the world, that means the oilsands produces the pollution of 1 million cars.

Also, what does that even mean? What does .1% of greenhouse emissions mean? Like an aggregate (that'd be pretty bad, right?) or just in the course of 1 fiscal year? or one decade? or ...what?

It's a totally arbitrary figure that is purposely presented in an almost context-free setting which has certainly manipulated your view of it...probably many others.

Finally, let's go with coal. Based on the numbers just in that text, and knowing that there are just about 1500 coal power plants in the US, I'm left with the staggering numbers that while the oilsands might produce just 1/1000 of worldwide greenhouse emissions, 1500 US coal plants produce ....drumroll...40 out of every 1000 units of greenhouse emissions...just our coal plants.WOW. Maronna mia we're effed in the head.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Why do they not invest their time in other more beneficial acts such as eliminating the need for the material that will flow through pipeline.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The Hippies Were Right:

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join