It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hippy Do-Gooders have Destroyed the World

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

I would have to agree with you,and here is why.Obama is just doing that for the enviro vote.After the election is over it will go through.Even if it is not built,they can still truck it down because they have no gas price worries(they set the price)!That would release tons more carbon into the air than just building the pipeline in the first place.Environment loses,American workers Lose,and environmentalists get duped by Bush Jr. 2.Sad,really,but what do you expect from someone who legalized horse meat for human consumption,voted for NDAA,Patriot Act,SOPA, and wants to start wars in Africa and Iran at the same time.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I will.

edit on 1-2-2012 by Osiris1953 because: (no reason given)

lol possible

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch
Has anyone noticed that the worlds biggest problem is hysterical do-nothing do-gooder hippies?

No, but I've noticed another big problem. Our destroyed world is filled with hypocrites who label and demonize people into groups, viewing them as some kind of sub-human group and not individuals. People who don't have enough fulfillment or esteem of their own lives get bored and angry about every stupid little way they have ever been wronged, in a fit of subtle dissent they point fingers at everyone else to get the attention they think they deserve.

Not that the "do-nothing do-gooder hippies" are really accomplishing anything either. Also loved the political spin you managed to pack into the OP, but mostly enjoyed the rant at the beginning.

Why is every thread and post on ATS starting to look the same? Maybe it's time to leave.
edit on 1-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Actually I always thought it was rich guys in suits who were looking to make $ at all costs who are ruining the world.
Weren't they they ones who opposed the banning of DDT and attacked Rachel Carson's book "Silent Spring" before it was released?

Aren't they they ones who cut costs and were lax with everything with Deep Water Horizon?

Weren't they the ones who used Corexit as part of Deep Water Horizon?

Remember this, that corporations will sell you any line of $hit that they can so that they can continue making as much as possible before they're FORCED to quit poisoning our only home.

Derek

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
who thinks hippies could have saved us in world war one or two, my ancestors died for you dancing fairys,
tbh we need each other in abudance without hippies, no one would save the world, or die tryin lol, and wed all just work really hard, with hippies, at least i can mock some one and not be called fashcist, racist, or fatist or any other nonsense like bully i mean seriously people are way to sensetive now, i mean if we had a fight with the generation that fought hitler, who would win seriously, im not talking tech wise, because thats obvs but a good old fist fight i mean id be fine im made out of wrought iron, produced in the furnaces of hell and chisled by satan and infused with the soul of a billion dead men, but seriously

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Hi there. I'm a hippie (yes, a real one from the 1960's -- see the 'retired science teacher' reference in my sigfile) and I'm here to answer your questions.

Originally posted by theubermensch
Has anyone noticed that the worlds biggest problem is hysterical do-nothing do-gooder hippies?

Environmentalists are the worst. These morally superior people want us to go backwards. Sometimes I wonder wether they are more interested in reducing our standard of living than mantaining the environment.

I think you may not know much about primitive lifestyles and standards of living and the environment.

Fact is, poor standards of living make the environment worse -- just check out the level of pollution in the Ganges River in India. Or the waterways of Vietnam. There's no hippie environmentalists there -- are you SURE you want your cities to look like those? Because without hippie environmentalists kicking up a fuss, they WILL look like that.

And what motivates someone to protest something like the Keystone Pipeline?

Many things. The pipeline was rushed through without a good study being done, for one thing. It crosses earthquake zones with no design components to allow fo this (not a good idea, IMHO). While you talk about a small impact on the boreal forest, it's going to run through wetlands (very fragile and susceptible to pollution) AND run across the biggest aquifer (source of water) for the nation -- in spots where leaks can go down and contaminate the water supply.

And that'd be those earthquake fault zones.

The US economy is a mess and these hippies have nothing better to do than stop something that will create jobs?

Environmentalism is actually a source of jobs -- jobs of the future. Land management, game management, hunting areas, fishing areas, water resource management, sports, recreation (inclulding recreational boats and other recreational vehicles), renewable resources (tree farms) provide logging jobs, grasslands management provides food (and jobs that go along with it), renewable energy (solar, wind, water) power jobs, etc, etc.

A pipeline creates temporary construction jobs (and afterwards can create lots of jobs if there's a spill and cleanup is needed, but I don't think those are very good industry moves.) Creating more efficient cars (moving technology ahead) and more efficient lightbulbs (and so forth) creates jobs, creates demand, improves technology.

Hippies dont want us to be able to afford electricity or fuel or even water.

Actually, we're the ones pushing for "green energy" and for cleaning up the trash out of waterways and out of our oceans (there's jobs there, too.) I don't know if you've seen your local rivers (and how trash-filled they are) but large city governments ARE worried about running out of clean water. This "let's not care about the environment" model isn't working and IS making clean water less affordable.

So if we all turn a bit environmentalist and pick up trash and stop companies from dumping chemicals in the water, it's easier to clean and is actually a lot cheaper.

They want us to pay 'carbon tax' and feel bad about our 'carbon footprint'.

Right. So you won't be wasting electricity and water. So we can have cleaner air. I'm not fond of cancers and asthmas and other diseases caused by living in heavily industrialized areas. I don't know of anyone who likes Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease -- which can develop if you live near a cement plant or near other plants that put out a lot of air pollution.

If these hippies want conservation they should stop being fooled by the likes Obama and vote for a conservative.

Really? I saw Ron Paul put up a bill to EXCUSE a cement plant (ever live near one of those? Lime dust all over the town) from pollution control. I've seen conservatives force the EPA to lower its standards on pollutants. I've seen conservatives scream about preserving wetlands (which actually clean up polluted water.)

Why would I vote for someone who doesn't want to limit business' ability to dump toxic chemicals and inconvenient waste (like old insecticides) in our rivers (before you think I'm making this up, I've participated in several river cleanups and we did find these things.)

I don't think that poisoning our water supply with insecticides is a good thing, but apparently it bugs some conservatives that we hippies want it to stop.

Thank you for reading

--- Indellkoffer, hippie chick from the 1960's

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I am just going to copy and paste a recent discussion I had:

The world is run by corporations and banks. Most of which expand into different countries because it is CHEAPER and COST EFFICIENT for them, the majority of these companies are western and bring their problems with them. Industry as we know it needs to be forgotten and a transition needs to be made by reverting back to local produce and peer trading.

It is often developing countries which have diverse natural resources which brings attention to the fact governments, banks and corporations bribe them with money and industrial values for false incentives only for them to exploit their land for oil, drugs and food.

Technology has created a psychological detachment from our natural instincts and people are brainwashed into believing that technology and the industry it brings is the way forward. However if the world was to simply stop using it (Cars, phones, machinery etc…) there would be no problems regarding emissions or shortage of resources. (Making a point)

It is clear though that peoples foundation of understanding is based upon materialism and capitalism so it is almost impossible to get the message across.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Indellkoffer the "real-hippy" hit the nail on the head with every point.

The OP is the same old tired rant I keep hearing from all the indoctrinated fools who believe anything that comes out of their "idiot boxes".

I am 24 and if you passed me in the street and called me a "do-gooder Hippy" I would first laugh at you for using a horrendously and quite honestly stupid phrase to Generalize a group of people who want nothing more than to better this world.

Then I might ask, how you segregating groups of people into stereotypes helps anything in this world at all?

Perhaps instead of trying to feel important by starting a hate based discussion on a forum you could go out and do something about those "do-gooders" and educate them on YOUR prolific Idea to help society.

p.s. If we all stopped responding to stupid rants like this, it wouldn't be at the top of ATS therefore not perpetuating moronic ideology of "Us VS Them".

This world and this country have no hope to survive ANYTHING if we continue to segregate ourselves.

just my two cents. peace!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tetriswoooo

Fact:
President Obama Flew on Air Force One 172 Times in 2010

That is only one year. Im sure all the jet fuel in the air did wonders for our enviroment

lol

Why dont you start improving the enviroment by getting rid of the current president

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Hippy Do-Gooders have Destroyed the World -

We have not!

Didn't you get the memo? Hippies and the Bill Ayers style Progressives were not the same people.

We Hippy types matured, turned Yuppie, bought businesses, turned conservative and now were pissed off at the Progressive fanatics also.

Get your history straight, lord knows the Progressives who control the schools are trying to rewrite history already.

Or was this just a shock thread for attention
Smile, Hippies love you.

You are right though about the Global Warming and the Con Game to make Gore and Obama's Cronies fabulously wealthy from fake Carbon Credits.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
WOW and this made the front page? I smell troll all over this in any case... I'm what you would call a "mini" enviromentalist "hippie" and I have a CHEAP prepaid phone that I bought at wal-mart 3 years ago... How dare you! I don't have ipads or iphones or anything like that.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Viesczy

Actually I always thought it was rich guys in suits who were looking to make $ at all costs who are ruining the world.

Not necessarily prime example how much has Gore made off environmentalism and then there is ,

Maurice Strong.
www.allamericanblogger.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Being a Hippie is a good way to meet members of the opposite sex to share drugs and the Kama Sutra.

And fill up stadiums at really good rock concerts.

Say, you really don't see many anti-war hippie protests anymore. Now it's all about not wanting to pay back your student loan.

But you can protest with a loved one while high. You almost won't notice the tear gas....right away.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Corporatocracy, is the root of the problem.

Not a small group of individuals. That faded out over 3 decades ago

Seriously

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Just read the posts. Talk about stereotyping and bigotry
How dare the bigots on the Left call others Racist when you wear your bigotry on your sleeve like a badge of honor and lie about those of us who lean conservative. This thread does not represent conservatives anymore than you are all Communists.

The con game to divide us to control us is working so well that you almost have to applaud the bad guys for being so smart and the good guys for being so incredibly gullible and dumb. Anyone falling for it is dangerously dumb. Please don't vote.
edit on 2/1/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/1/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

The phrase "speak truth to power" has become the most idiotically insane cliche in the entirety of civilization.

I presume the assumption is that "power", or, more accurately, the powerful (since power is not a being possessed of the capability of "hearing" any "truth" that some pipsqueak presumes to "speak") are in a position where they are being lied to and need to have the truth told to them. No? Ahh. So "power" is a liar who needs to be corrected by the shining examples of humanity who boldly stand forth to "speak" the truth to that "power"...all the while in effect placing themselves in the same position of "power" relative to those who knew about the lies of the power (but did not speak up about it) that the original "power" held, before the "truth-speaker" opened his mouth. So we are swapping the power of the "truth speaker" for the power of the "liar", correct? But what makes the "truth-speaker" any better in this equation? I can hear the retort now...the "truth-speaker" has power that is based in truth, but the power of the "power" is grounded in lies! Okay. My question then becomes, if the power of the "power" is based in "lies", then how did it become the "power" to begin with. Does all "power" lie? Is everyone in a position of power a liar? Who put them there? What happens when the "power" is grounded in truth but someone comes along, claiming to speak the "truth" to power but actually speaks lies to the "power"? What if the people who didn't speak didn't think that the "power" was a liar, but someone deigned to speak "truth" to the "power" anyway? What is "truth"? A liberal's talking point? A conservatives? What if the "power" is you? What if you are a self sufficient, single person who lives alone and you talk to yourself? Are you speaking truth to power then? What if you habitually lie to yourself and you are a self sufficient, single person who lives alone? What if you are alone on a desert island and you lie to yourself? Are you speaking truth to power then? The sun is a source of power....would it have an epiphany if you told it that you were too hot on your desert island? How far do you have to go with this before it all just breaks down into another shallow but feel-good slogan like "visualize world peace" or "my kid beat up your honor student"? I can't wait for this particular vapidity to dissolve and leave the popular lexicon. Like "where's the beef" and "I used to be a _______, but I took an arrow in the knee."

You may return to your rant free discussion of hippies. Yes, they destroyed our world, and seem intent on taking it with them now that they are finally dying off...at least when the world goes it will take all those new godforsaken hipsters with them...man they are annoying.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Wake up, global warming is a hoax and your a pawn used by the people you claim to fight against!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I love this. And I ADOREEE the attacks you get back. You know, the MTV level of attacks. "WELL UHM U DUNNO U RACIST"

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Indellkoffer

mmmhmmmm, I've been to India and been to the Ganges. I've seen what you are talking about. I used bottled water to brush my teeth. That is just third world conditions period. But what 60's hippie doesn't remember ganga smoke filled rooms and the sound of a sitar(Norwegian Wood) as they meditate?
Edit; Within you Without You is a better example
But at least the Hindus won't have to worry about the flouride?

edit on 1-2-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by yamammasamonkey

Wake up, global warming is a hoax and your a pawn used by the people you claim to fight against!

"global warming" may be a hoax, but the constant backslide of society as a result of technological advancement at all costs is not. And all this talk about "reducing our standard of living"... oh... my... god... we might lose a little bit of comfort if we don't continue consuming at an ever increasing rate!!!! OH NOES!!! "Standard of living" is no excuse to destroy everything around you. You might as well think about it in the most selfish manner possible if you're going to be so self-centered: if your environment is made incapable of sustaining life, you, who are alive, cannot live! It's that simple!

And the arguement about "creating jobs"... why, oh why, would you need a job in the first place, if your ancestors hadn't given up their individual freedom many centuries/millennia ago to pave way for the vast number of corporations and constantly growing governments of today, which have exactly ZERO care for your wellbeing? The necessity of a job is a fallacy created by the same people who brought you the "necessity" for capitalism and big government.

And as far as the ipads and stuff... even if they didn't buy these items, someone else will, and the companies that produce them won't suffer any real losses.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology. I enjoy playing with it - computers, radios, smartphones, you name it. But these items are not, by any means, necessary to our survival, or even to an enjoyable life. But even if they were, we're at a point in our technological development where we could relatively easily set up mining operations on, say, the moon or mars - we have the technology, but instead of banding together and contributing to a cooperative space exploration program, the governments, militaries and corporations of the world would much rather wage war "against each other", using the general populace as pawns. We don't need to destroy a planet with life in order to enjoy the things we love - there are other celestial bodies nearby which, as far as we know, are barren, and thus are perfect candidates for mining operations. And with all this mining can come the resources to create more automated production methods. No need for corporate slavery in China anymore.

But we all know that won't happen anytime soon - it's not "profitable" enough.

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join