It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jet Lag: What's Causing One of the Driest, Warmest Winters in History?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by kdog1982

The warming period will cause the cooling period because eventually the jet stream could stop or something like that.

Eh,more like the warming will melt the ice caps,thus unleashing huge amounts of fresh water into the ocean,therefore reducing the salinity of it and it will shut down the the north atlantic currents that help feed the warm water from the gulf stream and europe will freeze they're pants off.

Or something like that.

edit on 31-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Oh,yeah, I forgot to add what led me down this rabbit hole.

www.nws.noaa.gov...

The high temps in the US.
edit on 31-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Just an FYI, Saw on the national news last night (NBC) that Jan 2012 is one of the warmest on record, ~2800 daily record high temps were broken in the US in the month of January.

Wish I could find the source. My searches aren't coming up with anything yet, but I'm only a few sips in to my morning coffee....

NBC/Weather.com blamed La Nina, but this post makes a very good case for the oscillation, IMHO

I get that this weather is good for the economy (not spending $ on snow plows, salt, etc. - construction and road work continues), but I do not like it for the greater world. It shouldn't be 55 in northeastern PA in Jan!

A few little points:
My Farmer's Almanac says to expect winter storms across the US late Feb-Mar.
My farm animals may know we have more winter coming - no one is knocked up or sitting on eggs yet!
Lore says that if Groundhog Day/Candlemas/Imbolc (all Feb. 2) is sunny and clear, expect more winter, if stormy than we will have an early spring.

My money is on a sunny Feb. 2. :-)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ns9504

Maybe this was what you were talking about.

Many states in America are experiencing the warmest winter on record for over 40 years. Blossoms in the nation's capital are blooming and snow has not been seen across the majority of the U.S this winter. Yesterday, most states were experiencing temperatures around 50 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. In Washington, D.C., where temperatures neared 70 degrees Fahrenheit, cherry trees are budding weeks early and the scene on the National Mall looked as though it could have been early May. Though some admit to being concerned about global warming, they admit they're enjoying it.

www.abcnews4.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
And another article on the AO and NAO oscillation,compared to last years cold and snowy winter.

Last year, both the AO and NAO were in their negative phases, with low pressure near Iceland and high pressure off the coasts of Portugal and Spain. That "blocked" the Atlantic, Weber said, preventing weather systems from moving smoothly from west to east. Instead, kinks developed in the jet stream, causing weather patterns to meander. And that led to all sorts of extreme weather conditions, including moist air in the north, cold air in the south and lots of hurricanes. This year, on the other hand, the AO and NAO are positive, a situation that favors a strong and uninterrupted flow of air from west to east over the northern half of the country. And since the air is predominantly dry as a result of La Niña, precipitation is simply not falling across states in the north and west. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join